• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SO…Why buy a Ultravid HD Plus??? (1 Viewer)

Hi Chill. If we based our decisions purely on specs and warranties then we'd all be driving Kias and Hyundais(not that there's anything wrong with them)

Personally, I love the view through my old Leicas and have no intention of changing them anytime soono:D

Rich

Thanks just IT! Leica is ASKING M5 prices but delivering an S60. While the S60 is a great car, it's not in the same league as an M5 or worth its price. Volvo KNOWS THIS, so the S60 is priced appropriately.

Leica's are a great product no doubt. I have a 10x42 Geovid. LOVE it!

Thanks just IT! Leica is ASKING M5 prices but delivering an S60.

Not my view, I`v had the UVHD+, SF and SV side by side, Leica offers something different not inferior, and if you want a European alpha 7x42 then Leica is your only choice.

Who birds in the rain? Really, I mean when was the last time you had your $2500 binocular out in a rain storm. You can't see anything anyway and all the birds are in their nests or under a tree somewhere. I could take the $2000 I saved and hire somebody to carry an umbrella over my EII if I decide to go birding in the rain.

Dennis,

If this is your purchase demand, be my guest, but maybe this will be news for you..... there are people out there who want a waterproof roof model.

Jan

Who birds in the rain? Really, I mean when was the last time you had your $2500 binocular out in a rain storm. You can't see anything anyway and all the birds are in their nests or under a tree somewhere. I could take the $2000 I saved and hire somebody to carry an umbrella over my EII if I decide to go birding in the rain.

From someone in Denver Colorado, average annual rainfall 8-15 inches and 300 sunny days a year.

Try my neck of the woods, average annual rainfall 75-125 inches and on average it rains on 250 days a year.

Vagrant records and migration fall-outs, especially here in Ontario, occur during periods of inclement weather. If you want to see lots of migrants and rare birds, you head out when the storms roll in.

Fair weather birding, although pleasant, is usually far less productive.

Thanks just IT! Leica is ASKING M5 prices but delivering an S60. While the S60 is a great car, it's not in the same league as an M5 or worth its price. Volvo KNOWS THIS, so the S60 is priced appropriately.

Hi again Chill. In the UK at least, the HD plus significantly undercuts the SF and EL in price.

Rich

Not my view, I`v had the UVHD+, SF and SV side by side, Leica offers something different not inferior, and if you want a European alpha 7x42 then Leica is your only choice.
Leica is the natural view, Zeiss is the neutral view and Swarovski is the vibrant view. It depends on what kind of a view you like. You can't really say which is best. The Leica view is the most unmodified from reality. I find it appealing because it is just relaxing and comfortable.

I want to want one (which makes no sense at all), but am having an increasingly hard time, summing over all the comments and reports I'm aware of, including Pier's recent Binomania review which I just read. For me it comes down to: is it good enough to warrant swapping my 8x42 Zeiss FL for? Not having tried one, what I am forced to only guess is:

1) Not a bit brighter than my 8x42 FL.
2) Probably a bit better baffled than my FL, but Pier still complained about it. HDs do not equal BA/BR I know.
3) Almost certainly more color fringing than my FL.
4) Brighter than its predecessor, it has probably lost some of the deep colorific look Leica is known for.
5) Similar pincushion field correction and edge sharpness.

I have to admit it's more compact than the FL, better looking, and perhaps more rugged, at least more famously rugged. And the red spot is my favorite badge.

Also, 7x availability is important for some people, but not for me. In plenty of trials with 7x-15x, the biggest jump in visible detail for me is from 7x to 8x. Above that unless you are really careful, calm and steady, the big view is just a luxury, not much added information for your hand shake dollar.

So I think I'll be sticking with my 8x42 FL for most birding, unless I get to try one and am knocked out of the park. In the meantime, my heart is not cloven in twain. I like my FL more than the similar Swarovision already, so I must be a hard case huh?

Ron

Leica is the natural view, Zeiss is the neutral view and Swarovski is the vibrant view. It depends on what kind of a view you like. You can't really say which is best. The Leica view is the most unmodified from reality. I find it appealing because it is just relaxing and comfortable.

We all see a little different...I found the Leica UVHD+ to have a Vibrant color spectrum, the Zeiss HD a Cooler color spectrum and the Swarovski SLC having the Neutral color spectrum (all in 10x42). FOV's, ER and handling were ALL Excellent, but a little different. I could have glassed with any for a very long time, but chose the SLC's at that juncture.

Now, SF's and SV's are another story!

Ted

The S60 is priced "appropriately" because it's now made in China, at least the model sold in the U.S.

volvo-s60-inscription-first-chinese-built-car-sold-us/

<B>

We all see a little different...I found the Leica UVHD+ to have a Vibrant color spectrum, the Zeiss HD a Cooler color spectrum and the Swarovski SLC having the Neutral color spectrum (all in 10x42). FOV's, ER and handling were ALL Excellent, but a little different. I could have glassed with any for a very long time, but chose the SLC's at that juncture.

Now, SF's and SV's are another story!

Ted
I agree with your observations and they are more accurate than mine. You are right on. It is the vibrant colors that make the Leica view attractive and give it the realism it seems to have. Zeiss are almost German cool. Don't get me wrong Zeiss have excellent optics but they lack the warmth of a Leica. Leica's have more color saturation.

I want to want one (which makes no sense at all), but am having an increasingly hard time, summing over all the comments and reports I'm aware of, including Pier's recent Binomania review which I just read. For me it comes down to: is it good enough to warrant swapping my 8x42 Zeiss FL for? Not having tried one, what I am forced to only guess is:

2) Probably a bit better baffled than my FL, but Pier still complained about it. HDs do not equal BA/BR I know.
4) Brighter than its predecessor, it has probably lost some of the deep colorific look Leica is known for.

I have to admit it's more compact than the FL, better looking, and perhaps more rugged, at least more famously rugged. And the red spot is my favorite badge.

Also, 7x availability is important for some people, but not for me. In plenty of trials with 7x-15x, the biggest jump in visible detail for me is from 7x to 8x. Above that unless you are really careful, calm and steady, the big view is just a luxury, not much added information for your hand shake dollar.

So I think I'll be sticking with my 8x42 FL for most birding, unless I get to try one and am knocked out of the park. In the meantime, my heart is not cloven in twain. I like my FL more than the similar Swarovision already, so I must be a hard case huh?

Ron
You should try a Leica sometime. You might find you like that vibrant color saturation they have. Zeiss are cool in comparison. The Leica's still have that deep colorific view that they are famous for. You are correct about your other statements though. The Ultravid would give you an equivalent view to your FL but warmer.

Last edited:

Ron

Ron,

Didn't you used to use a Leica 12x50 Trinovid?

Bob

I've had four Leicas, and still have a 10x50 BR and a 12x50 BN. The 12x50 is unique and gets used a good bit. So I appreciate the Leica deep color, but color correction is as important to me as presentation.

For typical birdwatching, the 8x42 FL gives me very little to complain about. It could be better baffled, that's it.
Of course if I needed an 8x42, the new Leica would get fair consideration. Think it'd beat an HT?

Ron

I don't know. I'm happy with my Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline. I don't have any of the upgraded Ultravids. I also have a 7x42 Trinovid BN.

Bob

forget the price, forget the specs
you go to the dealer and "play" with each
get the one you bond with best

like picking out a spouse,
get the one which you are most comfortable
(binoculars last longer than many marriages)

edj

Ron

Hya Ron

I actually went out of my way to try out an Ultravid HD+ 7x42 recently. The view is pretty gorgeous and it felt very nice in the hand. I don't think the colours have lost any saturation as they were close enough to my wife's non-+ model. I didn't notice any colour fringing and did take care to test them looking at a roof and chimney against a bright white sky.

As a mainstay bin they don't cut it for me due to inferior close focus and in their richness of colour they lose some subtle tones that FL/HT easily pick out. But they have a mighty nice view never the less.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back