• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN replaced WOW!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Peter

I wonder if it would be straining your good will with Leica, if were to request the old bin back 'for sentimental heirloom reasons'....I wonder if they'd send it and just leave things as they are?

Rathaus
Never thought to ask...I don't think I can have my cake and eat it as well

I did ponder WHY they couldn't fix it?...To me the prism had some haziness on the extreme edge, how hard could that have been to clean?

Why they didn't fix it? That's simple:

!. Removing and replacing the armouring on the BA and the BN isn't easy. In fact, it's pretty hard work. That's why they switched to a softer armour in the Ultravid series.

2. The haziness is usually not *on* the prisms, with SP-prisms it's usually in the cement holding the prism together. That means it's not a cleaning job, the whole prism unit has to be replaced.

My Trinovid 8x32 BN was MINT..literally MINT apart from that prism.
One of the repairers at Leica thought WOW...I have been looking for one of these for ages, I think I will send this guy out an Ultravid and KEEP this beautiful classic of myself (after I clean the haze)...lol
I did cross my mind I must say..haha

You aren't really serious, are you?

Hermann

Why they didn't fix it? That's simple:

!. Removing and replacing the armouring on the BA and the BN isn't easy. In fact, it's pretty hard work. That's why they switched to a softer armour in the Ultravid series.

2. The haziness is usually not *on* the prisms, with SP-prisms it's usually in the cement holding the prism together. That means it's not a cleaning job, the whole prism unit has to be replaced.

You aren't really serious, are you?

Hermann

G'day Hermann.

when someone puts in a "lol" or "haha" in their comments, you know they are not serious....;)

Thanks for the heads up though about the armour and its difficulty in removal etc..,makes sense , also the fogging or haziness was on one side, it started from the extreme edge and extended through to half of there prism. Your probably right about it being in the cement, rather than the surface etc..

cheers
Peter

What if you wanted to keep your 8x32 BN? Sentimental/family value etc? It sounds like Leica gave you no option to repair the bino? Unrepairable? How horrendous was this defect to render it such?

Regards,
Rathaus

I would bet that Leica don't have any more replacement prisms in stock.

Lee

I've got some doubts about the cement theory as Schmidt-Pechan prisms can't be cemented and must have an air gap as the planes which would be used for cementing are used for transmission and total reflection at the same time.

Joachim

I've got some doubts about the cement theory as Schmidt-Pechan prisms can't be cemented and must have an air gap as the planes which would be used for cementing are used for transmission and total reflection at the same time.

You're right. I should have phrased that more carefully: The haziness usually occurs in the air gap between the two prisms. That air gap is very small, and for cleaning the prisms the whole prism assembly would need to be dismantled. So it's easier to swap the whole prism assembly.

That's what the Zeiss service told me when discussing the repair of a 35-year-old 8x30 BGATP recently.

Hermann

You're right. I should have phrased that more carefully: The haziness usually occurs in the air gap between the two prisms. That air gap is very small, and for cleaning the prisms the whole prism assembly would need to be dismantled. So it's easier to swap the whole prism assembly.

That's what the Zeiss service told me when discussing the repair of a 35-year-old 8x30 BGATP recently.

Hermann

Hi,

that is quite possible - especially since the alignment of the two prisms is kinda tricky.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back