• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BoP for ID - Hungary (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
An out of focus pic taken by a friend in Hortobágy. Any idea?
Thank you for help.

Attachments

• 263412_578631618832315_1943909727_n.jpg
    263412_578631618832315_1943909727_n.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 364
Any other pics?

To me the tail looks short and broad. And what I can see from the under parts looks solidly marked.

Feels like a buzzard to me.

Owen

Any other pics?

To me the tail looks short and broad. And what I can see from the under parts looks solidly marked.

Feels like a buzzard to me.

Owen

Agree with that the tail-shape suggests Buzzard and Owen may be right. Head pattern has a Merlin feel to it though. Difficult to know how big the bird is.

Agree with that the tail-shape suggests Buzzard and Owen may be right. Head pattern has a Merlin feel to it though. Difficult to know how big the bird is.

Difficult indeed, but the bird seems to have a tailprojection which would well fit Merlin but not Buzzard, again difficult to see for sure as wing is hold much higher than tail, Also wingtip looks very pointed for Buzzard.
Nothing sure but I am more happy with Merlin than with Buzzard

Thank you for replies. My first idea was Merlin too, but IMHO the pattern of the head looks a little bit odd (I have a slightly Rough-legged Buzzard feeling concerning the head...).

Thank you for replies. My first idea was Merlin too, but IMHO the pattern of the head looks a little bit odd (I have a slightly Rough-legged Buzzard feeling concerning the head...).

I had been keeping out of this one, but first thought was juv Roughleg on a thin branch, as they like to be.

There's not many pixels to play with, but enough of hint of the tail pattern to make we wonder if it's there, but in some way shaded perhaps by L wing.

Attached is the image pic 1 and pic 2 with the mid tones lightened in the tail- not scientific or reliable, but just to illustrate the point (and the original brightened up generally in pic 3).

Attachments

• ?rlb1.jpg
    ?rlb1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ?rlb3.jpg
    ?rlb3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 81
  • ?rlb2.jpg
    ?rlb2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Photo ID, don't you like it?

When I first saw this photo (even before KGS's comment) I thought: merlin! Second look: wait...is it a buzzard? Third look: no it's a merlin!

For the moment, I'll stick with Merlin. So far nobody commented on the proportions of the bird, IMO, they fit Merlin better: compared to the body, the head looks too big for a buzzard and is better for a falcon (especially a smaller one).
The head pattern with distinct rear supercilium, rather well-defined ear coverts with somewhat 'hollow center', and white neck side seems pretty distinctive too.
The tail is the long side for a buzzard IMO. It sems to darkens towards the tip which is good for Merlin. Unfortunately I don't know why there is no bar visible on the rest of the tail (it doesn't look like a male Merlin, does it? Hence no bars further up the tail is a problem).

I'd expect a juv RLB to have a more uniform head pattern, less obvious white throat, less obvious white neck side...

I guess it will be hard to reach a consensus with this single image and some people will probably remain convinced it's a buzzard (I certainly don't blame them as I am not in the least certain my ID is correct!!)

When I first saw this photo (even before KGS's comment) I thought: merlin! Second look: wait...is it a buzzard? Third look: no it's a merlin!

I had same kind of problem, I even commented then deleted my comment. If there is no photo effect and the wings are as we see, it cannot be a buzzard, then Merlin sounds the right choice. Very surprising photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back