• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do house sparrows ever leave the house? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Earlier in the year I had a nice variety of birds visiting my caged in tube feeder filled with sunflower kernel chips. I decided to try to keep the feeding going on in to the summer but stopped at one point because a group of probably about 50 house sparrows started to take over and would clean out the sunflower chips almost single handedly. No other birds seemed to work there way in except for a few finches. My question is will the same group of sparrows stay here year round? Will they ever move to another area? House sparrows are interesting to watch because they exhibit more observable behaviors than any other bird/s but they are just too overwhelming.

My granny has the same problem. You may be stuck with them for a while, I'm afraid. The other birds simply don't get a chance when the Sparrows are around.

Mabel said:
My granny has the same problem. You may be stuck with them for a while, I'm afraid. The other birds simply don't get a chance when the Sparrows are around.

Yep! Got the same problem but who cares just feed um hthe others will be along

I find the tits and chaffinches visit at quieter times such as later in the evening or early morning when sparrows aren't around.

We do get a lot of Sparrows but they seem to feed alongside the other birds without much of a problem.Infact,when I have been able to watch the birds,it is surprising how the Greenfinches and female Chaffinches almost blend in with the Sparrows.
Sparrows have been in decline here and I must admit I am pleased to see them doing well.

I'm a Sparrow fan - especially of the declining Tree Sparrows here in England. This last week we topped our highest ever total - 47 H/S one lunchtime, with 43 still being around in the evening!

My answer to your query is to put up three or four feeders if you can, maybe even vary the contents and spread them out. We have done it, and they do get used by differing birds at the same time. Also, try putting some food on the floor. Sparrows are a flock bird, and may just decide to feed together on the ground, leaving the feeders free for other species.

And always remember - at least you are lucky enough to have birds come to feed at your garden, and that you are able to look at and enjoy what is a most sociable species of bird. Hope you get a little more variety soon though if that's what you want.

Regards,

Turns out I fixed the problem by surrounding a tube feeder with four hanging fishing lines with weights tied to the end. The house sparrows can still get food from my tray feeder but have to compete with the bigger birds. Now the Goldfinches, woodpeckers, wrens and titmice have returned to the tube feeder.

lvn600 said:
Turns out I fixed the problem by surrounding a tube feeder with four hanging fishing lines with weights tied to the end. The house sparrows can still get food from my tray feeder but have to compete with the bigger birds. Now the Goldfinches, woodpeckers, wrens and titmice have returned to the tube feeder.

Does that really work? I have anywhere from 20-50 hosp at my feeders all day long! They have even figured out my chickadee specific feeder. They are crafty little devils! I've heard of the "Magic Halo", but wanted to know if it really did work. Anyway, I actually don't mind them too much, as long as they don't chase away my chickadees.

My home made job with a clothes hanger, fishing line, and weights on the end has worked 99.5 % for two weeks now. The sparrows were wiping out my tube feeder filled with shelled sunflower kernels in 1 day. A group of about 30-50 sparrows. Since then I've seen 2 sparrows dare to venture past the lines. They just don't like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back