• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Martin Mere (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
I was at Martin Mere today with my Wife and son and was not pleased with what I saw on the reserve. I put this message on the discussion board of Martin Mere for the points to aired and an explanation sought but it was not accepted, I wonder why.

I must make it clear that the following is my view and in no way that of Birdforum or it's owners.

My wife and I together with my son visited martin mere for the first since just after Christmas. I do not know what has been happening with the management at Martin mere but the actual reserve maintenance seems to have taken a backward step. It is as though the management could not care anymore about what is happening outside the captive bird area.
1) In front of the Harrier there is supposedly a reed bed, however how long this will last I would not like to say. The Reedbed now has to many bushy trees growing in it which if not removed will ultimately degrade the reed bed. Have to say anyway the only way one can see the reed bed and possibly the birds in it is to take the reed bed walk. The start of which is way of the reserve and only reached from the road and there are no hides there only screens.
2) In front of the Ron Barker hide there were 3 islands of gravel which were ideal for Little Ringed Plover and Oyster Catcher to nest. Not anymore the islands are covered in vegetation with no sign of the shingle and naturally none of the birds mentioned above. This is a very poor do and is disgraceful neglect of what has been in the past important nesting areas for these birds.
3) In front of the same hide there is a concrete block on the drain with a branch that had been placed on it for a Kingfisher perch which was last year used quite frequently. This year it is somewhat difficult to observe as a large bush has been allowed to grow on the opposite bank obscuring the view from the hide, more neglect.
4) I will now turn my attention to the captive area and the bird aviary which was erected last year. It houses two species of bird, Whistling Duck and Avocet????? Since when has an Avocet become a species of wildfowl? I think it is disgraceful that we have penned up a British breeding bird which is a wader. There is no need for Avocet to be captive in this manner, they should be out on the reserve breeding as wild birds. The aviary should be used to house foreign wildfowl to help breed them and thus conserve the species. I wonder if WWT still understands the word conservation as Martin Mere does not seem to do so.
5) Another point is that from the visitor centre the door that was used to access the captive area and reserve has now been blocked. There is a new door which passes through the shop and is rather narrow between the stalls of goods for sale for obvious reasons. This causes a certain amount of congestion and is most unsatisfactory.
No doubt there will be some lame excuse trotted out to explain these failings.
I am a WWT member and have been so for about 40 years now.

I was at Martin Mere today with my Wife and son and was not pleased with what I saw on the reserve. I put this message on the discussion board of Martin Mere for the points to aired and an explanation sought but it was not accepted, I wonder why.

I must make it clear that the following is my view and in no way that of Birdforum or it's owners.

My wife and I together with my son visited martin mere for the first since just after Christmas. I do not know what has been happening with the management at Martin mere but the actual reserve maintenance seems to have taken a backward step. It is as though the management could not care anymore about what is happening outside the captive bird area.
1) In front of the Harrier there is supposedly a reed bed, however how long this will last I would not like to say. The Reedbed now has to many bushy trees growing in it which if not removed will ultimately degrade the reed bed. Have to say anyway the only way one can see the reed bed and possibly the birds in it is to take the reed bed walk. The start of which is way of the reserve and only reached from the road and there are no hides there only screens.
2) In front of the Ron Barker hide there were 3 islands of gravel which were ideal for Little Ringed Plover and Oyster Catcher to nest. Not anymore the islands are covered in vegetation with no sign of the shingle and naturally none of the birds mentioned above. This is a very poor do and is disgraceful neglect of what has been in the past important nesting areas for these birds.
3) In front of the same hide there is a concrete block on the drain with a branch that had been placed on it for a Kingfisher perch which was last year used quite frequently. This year it is somewhat difficult to observe as a large bush has been allowed to grow on the opposite bank obscuring the view from the hide, more neglect.
4) I will now turn my attention to the captive area and the bird aviary which was erected last year. It houses two species of bird, Whistling Duck and Avocet????? Since when has an Avocet become a species of wildfowl? I think it is disgraceful that we have penned up a British breeding bird which is a wader. There is no need for Avocet to be captive in this manner, they should be out on the reserve breeding as wild birds. The aviary should be used to house foreign wildfowl to help breed them and thus conserve the species. I wonder if WWT still understands the word conservation as Martin Mere does not seem to do so.
5) Another point is that from the visitor centre the door that was used to access the captive area and reserve has now been blocked. There is a new door which passes through the shop and is rather narrow between the stalls of goods for sale for obvious reasons. This causes a certain amount of congestion and is most unsatisfactory.
No doubt there will be some lame excuse trotted out to explain these failings.
I am a WWT member and have been so for about 40 years now.

Hope you're copying your comments to the Reserve Manger at Martin Mere, Robert. Perhaps instead of having 3 volunteers congregated in one of the retail areas they could be out on the reserve doing some clearing work!

Sandra

I was most disappointed the last time I went to Martin Mere. We come up to the area regularly to visit relatives and I find my visits to Mere Sands much more satisfying.

I tried to pass my views onto the Martin Mere management in their discussion forum but my post was not accepted. I have tried to find a way of contacting not just Martin Mere but also WWT. There are no means that I can find where one can email one's views on reserves, it is as though they have shut themselves off from outside contact. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how I can contact through the web/email please do.

I tried to pass my views onto the Martin Mere management in their discussion forum but my post was not accepted. I have tried to find a way of contacting not just Martin Mere but also WWT. There are no means that I can find where one can email one's views on reserves, it is as though they have shut themselves off from outside contact. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how I can contact through the web/email please do.

Can't you just fill in details via the contact us at the bottom of the website or failing that pick up the phone?
Good luck
Russ

Post a letter to the manager, Robert.

S

I found an email slot and have sent off my comments. Will let you all know what their response is if and when I receive a reply. (Probably find I will be blacklisted and have my membership suspended);)

Martin Mere

Also it is extremely expensive to get in as I found out 2 weeks ago.
I also thought the captive area had an air of neglect

I also thought the captive area had an air of neglect

This struck me too on a recent visit.

They seem to have been working hard on the history/archaeology side of things at the expense of both the captive birds and providing views of wild birds. They seem to be spreading resources too thinly and are doing three things badly rather than two things well, which is a mistake.

The neolithic history of the region and the more recent history of Martin Mere itself (the formerly enormous lake, not the WWT reserve) are fascinating topics, but perhaps the WWT should focus on their strengths.

Like other posters here, I was also bemused by the captive avocets. Iconic for British bird conservation and all that, but they're not exactly in short supply in the region and there's no need to imprison them like that. Unless they're being punished for defending territory too aggressively.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back