• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (3 Viewers)

What a lovely shot Dan! Is that sap or something on its beak? A great detail. Beautiful birds they are.

You must've had one helluva day, so many great pictures in that session.

Last edited:
Some shots with the Megrez 72FD and EOS 5DII. Be indulgent, I begin!
I observe a lot af vignetting with the Megrez 72, wich light scope could be better with a FF body ? I saw the TSAPO804 (with flatener) and the quadruplet TSAPO804-3 (better to go here for this question ;) : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194800&page=16 )

All crops...

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130830093744985647.jpg

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130830095359696676.jpg

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130830094430895467.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about that scope, but I think that 2" focusers cause problems with FF. My D7000 works on my SW with a 2" focuser, as does 4/3, naturally. 2.5" focusers are OK with FF, but 3" is best. I wouldn't worry about it. Either use a crop sensor body, or keep using your 5DII and crop.
At any rate, you are off to a good start!

I use the TL 804 with a 2" focuser, but I have no experience with full frame, so I really cannot tell you anything for sure.

I can give you some opinions though.

First a question, are you using a flattener with the 72?

I seriously doubt that vignetting comes from the focuser itself, there's no doubt a FF camera would better served with a larger focuser, but with such a short scope you wouldn't get vignetting light that, you would have light loss. At the position the focuser starts "strangling" the light cone in the 72, I'm pretty sure it would show not as vignetting but light loss.

That's why I ask if you're using a flattener, IMO that vignetting comes from something much closer to the sensor.

No, I don't use a flattener with the 72...
I noticed a problem with the 5DII body : beyond 2000 shutter speed, light is lacking on the back frame (light loss ?), like this : http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=13083102125676619.jpg
At 1/5000, the light loss is terrible (look the attachement). It's ok under 2000 shutter speed.
I use a 2" WO photo adapter with a T2/EOS ring.
I tried to "baffled" 10cm into the focuser (to make an "iris" simulation) and the contrast is improve but not the "light loss" after 2000' speed...

Fernando, wich flattener did you own with the TLAPO804 ? I want to change my scope for a triplet...
Thanks !

Attachments

• TEST.jpg
    TEST.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 76
Does the 5D has an electronic curtain? I'm not used to canons so I don't know, but that image does seem like electronic curtain issues to me.

My flattener was the skywatcher (same as WO), I still have it if you need one, I'll sell it to you very cheap :p
Frankly I didn't like it on APS-C, image was indeed flat but it took it's tool in the image quality, specially when used with TCs. I imagine it can be much better on full frame due to the bigger pixels, but I have no idea how good it will be.

By light loss, I mean the same you have if you insert a mask on front of the lens, like stopping down the scope. At the position the focuser is in the tube, it's more likely to cause light loss than vignetting.

BTW, I think we probably should discuss this either in the setup thread or PM. If you need send me a PM or let's continue this in the setup thread ;)

Does the 5D has an electronic curtain? I'm not used to canons so I don't know, but that image does seem like electronic curtain issues to me.

My flattener was the skywatcher (same as WO), I still have it if you need one, I'll sell it to you very cheap :p
Frankly I didn't like it on APS-C, image was indeed flat but it took it's tool in the image quality, specially when used with TCs. I imagine it can be much better on full frame due to the bigger pixels, but I have no idea how good it will be.

By light loss, I mean the same you have if you insert a mask on front of the lens, like stopping down the scope. At the position the focuser is in the tube, it's more likely to cause light loss than vignetting.

BTW, I think we probably should discuss this either in the setup thread or PM. If you need send me a PM or let's continue this in the setup thread ;)
I will PM soon you Fernando but I have to leave now !
Thanks a lot for your help !

Caspian Terns

Some Caspian Terns (unusual sighting) from a visit yesterday at a shallow lake where migrants refuel on their way south. Shooting distance ~75m, SW80ED+EC14, 60% crops from EM5 frames

Attachments

• Caspian_Tern_Hydroprogne_caspia_1.jpg
    Caspian_Tern_Hydroprogne_caspia_1.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Caspian_Tern_Hydroprogne_caspia_3.jpg
    Caspian_Tern_Hydroprogne_caspia_3.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 92
Looked like a mouse. I thought it was clever, then I saw what you said about it, and looked it up. They seem to catch things and hang them up on thorns for later. Nothing like a little cured mouse meat!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back