• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupidest bins question in history? (1 Viewer)

longbow

What is the best 10x bin on the planet?:smoke:

Not trying to be a smart--- just want to wade thru all the verbiage so I'll know what to set my sites on.

There is no such thing as the best 10x or any other x binocular on the planet. There are several, each of which will have its proponents. None are either right or wrong. All are good but all have differences. How the user of each has found the best of the lot for their purpose will determine the nature of the response.

Not trying to be a smart--- just want to wade thru all the verbiage so I'll know what to set my sites on.
On the planet? Hard to say. All different...some excel in certain areas. No one bin is the "perfect" one.
You have to decide what you want...roof or porro? Waterproofing? Wide Field of View? Weight? Quality of optics (big question, that!)? Eye-relief (do you wear glasses)? Price? Maybe Image Stablisation?
To cut to the chase, I´ve owned a few good ones...the best being Swarovski EL 10x42 and Nikon EII 10x35. I kept the latter, because I liked the 3D effect the porro format gives, and they have a 7 degree FOV. Hell of a lot cheaper than Swaros, but very hard to find nowadays. Very sharp, very bright. But...not waterproof, rubber eyecups (not click-stop rigid ones).
You must first decide what´s right for you in the above departments, and then try as many as you can.
Everyone has their own favourite based on their requirements. Check out the threads on Nikon SE 10x42, I´ve never seen one but a lot of people swear by it. (I do have the SE 8x32 version, and the optics are incredible). The Canon IS (Image Stabilised) 10x30 is also highly spoken of, and with IS you arguably see more detail than with any other top-notch bino.
Let us know what you find and what you decide.

Last edited:
My two cents..... The Nikon 10x42 SE is the best optically speaking that I have owned. But, They are not water proof or nitrogen purged. I would rate the Swarovski 10x42El and the Zeiss 10x42 Victory LT T*FL a close second with the advantage of being water proof and nitrogen purged. But surely you will hear by many that their favorite is the Leica 10x42 Ultravid HD.
Anyway you go you cant go wrong! They are all exceptional binoculars!
Just for reference sake I own the Nikon 10x42SE, Swarovski 10x42EL, Leica BRF Geovid, and have owned Swaro's 7x42, 10x42, and 15x56 SLC's..... Leicas 8x42 and 12x50 Trinovids.... Docter Optic 10x40 Asphrics, Docter Nobilem 15x60..... Nikon 10x42 monarchs and Leupold 8x32 Wind Rivers. They were all good binoculars but when the question is asked about which is the best in the world the answer really comes down to just a very select few!

Last edited:

I also have had alot of binoculars and many 10X. I would vote for the Nikon 10x42 SE for the best optics period. For best waterproof binocular in 10x probably the Zeiss 10x42 FL,Leica 10x42 HD, or Nikon 10x42 EDG (cost no object) and the Zen Ray 10x43 ED(Affordable and "Best Bang for the Buck")

Dennis

Last edited:
I have not owned any of the 10x mentioned above (save the 10x35 EII). I have had experience with a variety of others..some owned and some just used. Dennis's comments tend to mirror my own though I would also have to throw the 10x50 Swaro SLCs and the 10x50 Meopta Meostars in there. I prefer the larger exit pupil of both of those bins.

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm surprised to see the Nikons rated so highly, figured for sure that the list would be limited to the upper crust German stuff.

My requirements would put optical quality at the absolute top of the program. I'd like bins so good that putting them to one's eyes simply produces the sensation that one has instantly gotten 10x closer with no image degradation at all.

Also:
Roofs
No electronics
Armored
Purged and WP
Long eye relief
Long as possible depth of field
Close focus

Further, I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and I buy almost everything mail-order, hence am unable to try first. When the time comes, I'd like to order something that is so universally accepted as perfect or as close as one can come, that there are no surprises upon first try and for years following.

That's not asking too much is it?;)

I'm just curious, and not trying to be smart, because you may have analyzed your needs. If not, why limit it to 10x? Binoculars are tools. You should pick the best one you can afford for the purpose you need them for. Sometimes 10x is not the preferred format.
Cordially,
Bob

I have a 'reasonable' [and strange] selection of 10xs - Nikon IF HP WP10x70, Nikon Lookout 10x50, Vixen Apex Pro 10x42, Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra, Nixon Monarch 10x56, B. and L. Legacy 10x50, Leica 10x42 BA, Ashai Pentax 10x50, Leupold Cascade 10x42, Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 - but the ones I use the most would be my Minox BR 10x58 ED's - excellent resolution, brightness and color fidelity, followed by the Nikon 10x70's - superb flat aberration free image - which I use more for astro use.
Most of it comes down to personal choice. I do not own many of the newer 'Alpha' binos -Leica, C.Z. Swarovski but have used them and optical differences appear to be incremental at that level - and you have to be rich.

Last edited:
...........My requirements would put optical quality at the absolute top of the program. I'd like bins so good that putting them to one's eyes simply produces the sensation that one has instantly gotten 10x closer with no image degradation at all.

Also:
Roofs
No electronics
Armored
Purged and WP
Long eye relief
Long as possible depth of field
Close focus

.................something that is so universally accepted as perfect or as close as one can come, that there are no surprises upon first try and for years following.

That's not asking too much is it?;)

LOL! No, it´s asking for the Swarovski EL 10x42. (IMHO;))

My requirements would put optical quality at the absolute top of the program. I'd like bins so good that putting them to one's eyes simply produces the sensation that one has instantly gotten 10x closer with no image degradation at all.

If you really mean this, then Nikon SE is peerless - that's exactly their strength, but you will have to let go of some "also wants" shopping list - and probably save a lot of money :)

you have to add a budget to it. If budget is not an issue, I will wait for the next generation Swarovski EL, coming out in 2011? for $3000?

Thanks again, all. Just the kind of info I was after, the field is narrowing. As to budget, not only am I not rich, I'd qualify as poor folks by most definitions. It's a matter of priorities, and without going into it at length, after a decent 4x4 I am increasingly persuaded that a great pair of bins is my most important and needful equipage, hence I am willing to make sacrifices to get the best.

It has already been mentioned that the best bino for you has to be decided by you. I purchased binos, (online) rated as the best by others, and when delivered they were, but not for me. If eye relief is an issue I would recommend taking a look through the Steiner Peregrine XP, I have the 8x and they are perfect, for me. I know Steiner also makes the XP in 10x, but I have not seen any in my area. I have the Lecia 10x and they are great, meet most of your requirements, but for my eyes w/glasses they were not the best.

I used to have a friend who would order 3 pairs of boots, bracketing his size, and keep one pair and send 2 back, it seemed odd to me at the time, but now I understand why. Eagle Optics once offered to send me 3 pair, I would have had to put them all on my card, but they also offered to accept 2 back if returned quickly, maybe they still will do that.

Eagle Optics once offered to send me 3 pair, I would have had to put them all on my card, but they also offered to accept 2 back if returned quickly, maybe they still will do that.

They will still do that. It is a bit of a pain to have all that obligation on the card, but it has to be a bit of a pain for EO to have to deal with the returns (did the person really return everything in good shape). This is one of the reasons that Eagle Optics is one of my favorite places to do business with. Matter of fact EO and CameralandNY are about the only places I use (Cabela's sometimes, but not for optics).

But that is mitigated, especially if you live where try before you buy is not a good option, by being able to look at more than one binocular. Just time the purchase so you can get the items back to EO before the car payment is due.

The title of this thread is a little misleading. The stupidest bins question in history is surely:-

How far can you see with those? :)

I get it all the time!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back