• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

adding another pair of bins (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Currently I use Conquest 8x42. In need of something with a little more power when scanning fields or duck ponds as my eyes are not what they used to be. Not always convenient to carry my scope. Have used Conquest for years and except for failure of hinge have been happy with them. Want to try a 10x to see if a difference for me. Besides the Conquest 10x is there any suggestions of other bins to try? Tried a friends 10x42 NL pure which is amazing, but way out of my budget. Would like to stay below $2000 if possible.

Swaro El
Leica Ultravid (awesome)
New Zeiss sfl
Meopta Meostar
But you can't be wrong with Conquest 10x either.
All great optics

Canon 10x42L IS.

Regards,
B.
I think this is the only one,which will provide any true benefit. With a conventional 10x, shake will eliminate part of the 25% magnification advantage and the variation in your observing distances will be much greater than that.
Additionally, you lose FoV, DoF and exit pupil size (for the same objective diameter), so I don't really see much point.
My 10x42 EL SV. while optically excellent, ist my least loved binocular.
For distant viewing there is really no alternative to a scope, which will give you several hundred percent magnification benefit over your 8x, and on a decent tripod will remain steady under most conditions.

John

If you like your Conquest HD then go with the 10x42. Look at the Leica Trinovid, the Kowa Genesis, the Leupold BX-5, As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Maybe the Swarovski SLC / Kahles Helia S 10x42 ? In budget and and good binoculars. I often find 8x too short for open countryside and for me the extra magnification is worth any minor extra shake - some people struggle with 10x though...

It's hard to guess what may work best for you, but generally speaking, if you need significantly more magnification than 8x, you'll find 10x underwhelming (except possibly IS). So do consider 12x: NL 42, EL 50, MeoStar 50... 8 and 12x make a great combination. (I use 10 and 15 myself.)

No idea how much he SLC 15x56 are in the US but they might be an option? Personally I fnd they're hand-holdable for short periods, but obiously better on a monopod or tripod for much more than a brief check...

I agree with things @Tringa45 and @tenex said. Personally, I've always found 10x underwhelming. As a matter of fact, it was not until I moved to 12x that I saw what I was expecting 10x would give me. And after several "conventional" 12x, it was IS 12x that really left me 100 % satisfied. The Canon 12x36 IS III is not one or two, it's at least 3 steps down in quality from a Conquest HD (in terms of sharpness, pop, CA, clarity, etc.), but then it provides a level of resolution and detail of far away objects that is astonishing. I haven't tried IS 15x, but depending on what you are looking for, it could even be more desirable than 12x.

I'd definitely try a 10x, and see if you find it gives you enough of a difference compared to the 8x Conquest HD. However, if your idea is leaving the scope at home some days and still feel you are prepared for what might come, at least 12x is what I'd choose. If you usually bird from hides or observatories, maybe even a non-IS like @Richard D suggests could also be an alternative.

My personal experiences is that those days when I go birding without the scope and I do waterfowl, marshes, etc., the 12x IS really feel valuable and impossible to replace. I also agree that 8x and IS 12x make a terrific combo leaving little to be desired.

I've mostly used 8x binoculars for birds in the past but I recently added a new pair of Nikon EDG 10x42 and they seem excellent. I just got back from my club's waterfowl outing (over 20 different ducks spotted today) and the 10x seemed perfect for it.

If I didn't have 10x I could use the 8x and be happy, but now that the 10x42 are here, it's the one I'll take every time for open coast and lakes viewing. It definitely makes it easier to see the markings on ducks and extends your range. The FOV is wide enough that you do OK for the wooded parts and closer birds too. These are very compact and fairly light binos and hand-holding isn't that bad.

Last edited:
No idea how much the SLC 15x56 are in the US but they might be an option
$2399 new now, but there's also the excellent MeoStar around $1499.

The tricky thing about 12-15x is that it can be challenging to use at first. You need to give yourself time to find the right hold, supportive arm position etc, and it takes practice to get on targets and get a steady enough view to actually see more detail... which I suspect is training the brain as much as the hands.

$2399 new now, but there's also the excellent MeoStar around $1499.

The tricky thing about 12-15x is that it can be challenging to use at first. You need to give yourself time to find the right hold, supportive arm position etc, and it takes practice to get on targets and get a steady enough view to actually see more detail... which I suspect is training the brain as much as the hands.
And this process gets trickier as wind speed increases and gusts buffet your arms.

Lee

The tricky thing about 12-15x is that it can be challenging to use at first.
Not disagreeing with this assessment, but I was very surprised when I tried a 12x50 Ultravid recently; actually easier to hold steady than my 8x32, presumably due to the stabilizing factor brought in by the extra weight and length. Can't stop thinking about that particular model even now.

If you are happy with the conquest, why not play it safe and get another?
If holding steady is an issue, the Canon 10x42 seems like a good option.
I have the Fujinon 14x40 TS-X IS with higher mag, better IS, but smaller FOV; and the extra mag is great for distant birds.

edj

I have to say that I agree with all "yarrellii" says in post "12".
I too have gone though this conundrum of optic choice in respect of what is needed and useable for me in my retiring years.
The last year or so I have tried many combinations in getting it right FOR THE LAST TIME ! so to speak.
My starting point was my EL 8x32 SW, these I knew and for ME cannot be bettered. I tried to complement them with a EL 10x32, a great optic, BUT they were too close to my EL 8x32 with no noticeable advantage in REAL USE to my old eyes. (these in fact had a scratched lens and I returned them)
I have had 8x42s in Zeiss HT which we all know as stellar optics, but I found no real advantage in light/brightness with my old eyes (we all know older eyes lack the youthful advantage of brighter optics).
I later tried Aurora 8x42, another great optic at a stellar price, again these I found were like the HT bright but to no real advantage.(I tried two pairs with build quality not as it should be) and the "devils focus travel" was not liked.
So, continuing my quest I tried a second hand pair of Kite 10x32 APC IS optics, more out of curiosity and surprisingly impressed with their build, ergonomics and view. Taking the restrictions into the equation ie power, field of view, weight (no problem), battery usage etc and it's "devils focus travel", I was very excited about them. A new mind-set was needed to overcome the focus, less light gathering, tilting to overcome slight CA and NOT bring up to the eyes too quickly (prevents too much motion).
It was getting near the return time when I thought this is what I need, so different from EL8x32, bigger reach, different enough for "muscle memory" usage. BUT, there is always a BUT I found a manufacturing fault, a foreign body in one side. My initial only worry about these was the lack of total weather sealing and this fault tipped the balance and so I regrettably returned them.
This however did not detract from my willing to still try IS optics as I was smitten and found that for me it was what was needed.
I ordered and travelled to try out a new pair of Kite 12x42 APC. What the hell, if I want a difference in magnification from 8x32 and IS optics help me steady the magnification why not go full tilt.
They are different from the APC 32, brighter, feel wider, little to no CA, steadier and fully weather resistant. yes they are not as wide a field as 8x, but it is not what I want them for. Open spaces, large lakes, sea watching, Goose counting, Wader viewing etc all at distance with prolonged panning.
I am sold and have worked out this conundrum . It may not suit other folk but it suits me and my needs.
As a birder for nigh on 50 years I judge optics in field use and field use only, I leave the complexities of science in optical equipment to my betters out here.
BTW, I also have a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x25 for stealth /compact use.
My scopes are Kowas 823m w/ Baader zoom + 32 W and TSN 553. But that's another story for another time.
cheers.
ps
I am still using the same batteries in the same compartments since I put them in early August this year, near every day field use.
pps
Pauhana , I hope this helps in your decision , it could take you some time !

Last edited:
It seems that a 12x might be best bet to try. I have a pair of backup monarch 5 10x42 I tired along side my 8x yesterday. (I actually forgot I had them) Yes not seeing a whole lot of difference in magnification . The IS offering seems maybe a good choice to try. The problem is a lack of dealers here local so will have to order and return if I don’t like. Thanks to all for your input. The quest now begins

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back