• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

adding another pair of bins (1 Viewer)

I believe that you can rest assured that no one will ever accuse you of “underthinking” if there is such a thing.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest, in which we ultimately each have to find our own way.

Currently I use Conquest 8x42. In need of something with a little more power when scanning fields or duck ponds as my eyes are not what they used to be. Not always convenient to carry my scope. Have used Conquest for years and except for failure of hinge have been happy with them. Want to try a 10x to see if a difference for me. Besides the Conquest 10x is there any suggestions of other bins to try? Tried a friends 10x42 NL pure which is amazing, but way out of my budget. Would like to stay below $2000 if possible.
You're happy with your 8x42, want a bit more reach; my instinct would be to suggest first trying a 10x32 to complement it. The Leica UV+ 10x32 is within budget, and if the haptics fit you, you'll find it's small & easy to carry, as a second binocular or even everywhere.

The SLC 10x42 and UV+10x42 are within your budget, also the 10x40 SFL.

Regarding 12x, both Leica & Swarovski 12x50 and the Swarovski 12x42 are way over your budget.
The Nikon Monarch 5 12x42 is a cheap alternative, under £300 in the UK, don't recall holding one (though PC World/Currys stock various Nikon and I try them when I go in).
Scopeviews website has an interesting review of the Monarch 5 10x42 which may give you some idea of what to expect from their 12x42. (edit, just seen you have a pair of the 10x42 already!)

Last edited:
It would be useful to know whether the TO uses eyeglasses, then the UV 10x32 would be very narrow, that UV 10x42 hmm?

I think the NL is suboptimal for long-sighted people who wear glasses, the EL 12x50 could also cause problems, but the latter binoculars are over the budget anyway.

Andreas

looks like there's a nice pair of Trinovid 10x42 in the classifieds, in the US, if you want to try those
I'd have a look through the trinovids before going for them. I ran a pair for a couple of years, excellent in many ways but very much sub par in terms of ca. Other than that there an excellent choice for the price but the ca is very much present. The deal breaker for me with them was viewing a little egret at range and the whole bird being a mess of various colours, non of them white...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back