• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jays (1 Viewer)

Gate

I have seen the odd jay around near our house, and at the weekend saw one perched on the roof of the house at the bottom of the garden, so wondered if they were nesting nearby. I rather like them, although I don't know if they are nest-robbers like the magpies (which fortunately never seem to come to garden level around here). This morning on the way to the tube, I saw a pair of jays on a house a few doors down from ours which is having major roof repairs done, and they were pulling out what I think must have been roof insulation felt. Does this mean they are nesting somewhere near by, or are they just being mischievous? I had always assumed that jays built "pile of sticks" nests like the other crow family members.

I would think that they would use whatever soft they could find as nest lining, Gate, as many birds do. Never actually seen a nest, though. Doubt they were insulating-- isn't that a union shop?

I had a pair of Jays nesting in my garden for about three years but unfortunately I used to find the half reared young under the nest dead . There were lots of Magpies about and I think maybe they where the culprits any other ideas

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back