• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Incoming (1 Viewer)

EDG??? What exact type? 7, 8, 10x42?

I can imagine that you are sitting at your PC typing in the tracking number every 30 seconds and watching google maps/earth to identifiy the exact position of the fedex/ups/USMail-stagecoach.

Last edited:
Elmer,

It is a 8X32 actually, and no I wish I were home tracking it's every move, but I was outside in our beautiful winter weather at 17 degrees. I am glad to be inside. Looking forward to using these tomorrow in daylight.

AW

Elmer,

It is a 8X32 actually, and no I wish I were home tracking it's every move, but I was outside in our beautiful winter weather at 17 degrees. I am glad to be inside. Looking forward to using these tomorrow in daylight.

AW

You are lucky - not only because of the new acquisition but also of the winter weather. In my area we have the common 45 F. Hopefully it would become colder the next week because I need more firewood and it's not very comfortable to cut the trees and then dispatch the staves from the wood in into the firewood sched.

I was wondering whether the EDG range was being discontinued, since lots of UK optics sellers no longer seem to be stocking them. Great bins though - I love my 7x42s!

I was wondering whether the EDG range was being discontinued, since lots of UK optics sellers no longer seem to be stocking them. Great bins though - I love my 7x42s!

They are being sold on Nikon's USA website. People can purchase them from there if they chose to do so. The 8x42s and 10x42s are back ordered there.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/edg/index.page

Camera Land, NY lists them also, and so does B&H, NYCity.

Check Nikon's British and European websites.

Bob

Last edited:
Wow Andy. That is a great start for 2018. I will be very interested in your review and comparisons. Congratulations.

Update

Here is a pic for EDG comparison to the FL, MHG and the HG. With the EII and SE I have satisfied my 8X32 format. All glass is different with their strong points. The MHG 8X42 is there to show size comparison to the 8X32s, it is ~ the same weight as the EDG which is a larger than the FL/HG. The HG is the heaviest at 715 grams, and still in my opinion a d...m good glass. The MHG is a small and light for a 8X42.

I will compare the 32s for fun, but I have to buckle down since it is going to be 17 on Friday and Saturday as a high.

Elmer Fudd, I will take some of that 45 degrees right about now.

Regards,

Andy W.

Last edited:
Bravo Andy. Looking forward to your impressions and thoughts. You have an amazing collection. You win. :)

I agree!

I am especially interested in a report/review when the Zeiss 8x32 FL is compared to his new little girlfriend from Japan.

The MHG is a small and light for a 8X42.

Does it mean that the MHG is not as rugged as a Zeiss Conquest or one of the other 8x42?

Does it mean that the MHG is not as rugged as a Zeiss Conquest or one of the other 8x42?

The Monarch HG has a magnesium alloy frame and it is pretty solid.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-hg-8x42.html

I also have a Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline which weighs 25 ounces. It weighs about 2 to 3 ounces more than the HG but the weight difference is not really all that obvious.

The biggest difference between them is the eye cups which are removable on the Leica. The Leica also has more precise stops which have locking positions for them. The HG has the same number of stops but does not have the small locking positions for the stops that the Blackline has.

Bob

Last edited:
I agree!

Conquest has an aluminium body so all other things being equal (often they are not) it would be a bit heavier than the magnesium Nikon but this doesn't necessarily make them more robust.

Given the main weight factors in binos are the amount of glass, the body and whatever material it is made from, and the thickness of the rubber armour, it is pretty difficult to draw conclusions about robustness from the published weight alone.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back