• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

The Great Grey Shrike was refound today by Nigel while doing the WeBS count, it was in the hedge and on the fence posts on the West side of the North Pit.
Also of note were 3 Shelduck, 1 Goldeneye, 1 Peregrine, 1 Herring Gull, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Stonechat and 6 Siskin.
Geoff

The Great Grey Shrike was refound today by Nigel while doing the WeBS count...
Geoff

I heard that it was there at lunchtime but I was at work, and I can't get there tomorrow either:C
There must be a strong possibility that it's been hanging around but unseen for nearly 3 weeks, do you think?
Steve

As the last confirmed bird in the Tame was 1979 I would say it's likely to be the same one so hopefully will stay around all winter. Must be spending most of its time away from the reserve possibly on the hill between reserve and Dosthill where much suitable habitat.

That's very interesting Tom. Looking at past records for the West Midlands it seems to be a common pattern for winter visitors to go missing for periods of time, is that your experience of them?
Steve

Great Grey Shrikes do tend to have a large territory in winter making them hard to find. If you have ever twitched shrikes on the Chase you will know what I mean!

Forgot to post on Sunday.

c1000 Starling murmuration mainly down the west side of JWs with many birds going to roost down that side. I was primarily on the look out for Short-eared Owls (which I didn't see) and had limited time before the sun set but I did see the Redshank on the northern end of JWs.

Steve

On my way back from Dudley (where incidentally I saw the Hoopoe) I paid a late afternoon visit to Middleton. As the sun went down a Bittern flew into the reeds of the small pool to the south of Fishers Mill (that's just over the little metal humped-backed bridge). Also seen were 3 Dunlin, a Stonechat and a Goldeneye, all on JWs. There was another murmuration of c700 Starlings, a bit smaller than the one I saw on 22nd and it was a lot shorter in duration.
All the best
Steve

Not too much about this morning. 4 Goldeneye (3m 1f) and 2 Shelduck on JW. Stonechat up West side of NP and Peregrine about which may explain the lack of birds.

Steve

No sign of yesterdays reported Red-breasted Mergansers but 2 Shelduck were on JWs. No waders were seen in the gales but highlights were 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Grey Wagtail and a mixed flock of Siskin, Redpoll and Goldfinch.

Quiet again today, 4 Shelduck, 6 Goldeneye, 1 Woodcock, 1 Snipe, 1 Green Sandpiper, no Lapwing, 1 Barn Owl and 1 Cetti's Warbler singing.
A Pink-footed Goose was reported.

Late visit this afternoon so didn't have time for a thorough look around. I was primarily hoping to find the Pink-footed Goose and was pleased to find it in the field of stubble to the west of the North Pit with a large flock of Greylag. Also around were 4 Little Egret, 2 Shelduck, and a Cetti calling on the Dosthill side of the river bridge, just on the Warks side of the border.
All the best
Steve

Friday 19th December:
Flushed the Green Sandpiper on the western-most lagoon of the ski lake. I've not seen it there before. Also heard a Cetti calling close by, so both definitely in Warks. Nothing much else about - only 3 Shelduck, a pair of Stonechats up the west side of JWs and the flock of Greylag geese were again in the stubble field but I couldn't find the Pink-footed.
Steve

Not much about this morning - 3 Stonechat between the screens, 2 Goosander, 2 Shelduck, 2 Little Egret & 4 Goldeneye on JW.

Not seen by me but also reported this morning was the Great White Egret leaving the roost and a Short Eared Owl hunting on the play meadow.

Steve

43 Little Egrets left the Heronry this morning along with the Great White which was the last bird to leave at 7.49am. Out on the reserve not much change. 5 Goldeneye on Fishers Mill, 6 Shelduck and a Goosander (m) on JW. Stonechat up the west side and Green Sandpiper plus Goosander (f) on NP. In the stubble field were both the Pink-Footed and Snow Goose – No sign of the Bar-Headed though in amongst the hundreds of Geese eating the potatoes.

Distant shot of the probable escapee Pink-Footed Goose

Steve

Attachments

• PF.jpg
    PF.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 88
A Short-eared Owl was hunting at 1545 today and the Great White Egret flew into roost at 1615, 14 Little Egret were counted in up to 1630.

Water levels were quite high today after last nights heavy rain, 26 Golden Plover and 3 Snipe were flying over the JWs. Highlight was seeing a very large bat hunting high over the Dosthill NR lake at noon, it was nearly as large as a nearby Black-headed Gull.
Yesterday five species of geese were seen, 1 Pink-footed Goose, 1 Snow Goose (blue phase), 1 Bar-headed Goose plus Greylags and Canadas, also 8 Shelduck and 3 Stonechat were noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back