• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at lenses (1 Viewer)

Shooter560

New body will be here in a few days D810 and in need of a better or is that longer lens than my current 70-200 2.8 VR.

After reading reports and checking out images I decided on the new 300 f4e however after spending all day phoning round it appears that catching a unicorn would be easier, all stores are saying no guide date but welcome to pay now and wait. Loads are saying the exact same thing for the Sigma 150-600 sport lens which was also on my list.

The crux is I have a holiday in just under 3 weeks where I'll be visiting several Osprey sites through the UK, inc a couple of dawn hides where they fish, then on to the Isle of Skye in hunt of Golden and White tail Eagles so I need to find a lens for that trip. The down side is I only have a budget of £1500 possibly stretching to £2000 but that would involve some begging to the wife and trimming of other plans while away. I did think of hiring one, however the cost of that has to come out of my lens budget, so I'd end up with less when I get round to buying one.

I'm not at all fussed if new or S/H, image stabilisation would be nice but I seem to do most of my shooting at over 1/1000 so its not really a gain at those speeds. I also do a lot of all weather shooting so if possible weather resistant would be handy, better than having to have a cover on. Auto focus is a must though as I'm all fingers and thumbs and never do well when trying to manually focus.

Any help and advise would be very gratefully received, cheers in advance

Many people speak highly of the "old" 300 f4 lens used with a 1.4 TC. No image stabilization, however. Wex Photographic has it in stock:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-300mm-f4-d-af-s-if-ed-lens/p12882

Or, more expensive, is the 80-400 F4.5-5.6. That has image stabilization, and is also in stock at Wex Photographic;

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-80-400mm-af-s-nikkor-f4-5-5-6g-ed-vr-lens/p1536507

I have no connection with Wex Photographic but I've bought many items from them over the years and their service has always been fast and reliable.

Good luck in your search.

Malcolm

I would consider a Nikon TC20EIII, which coupled with your 70-200mm will give you a usable 400mm

refer to http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/4waysto400.html

The D810 will allow for 12mp images if you use the DX mode - giving you a 600mm FOV.

The converter will still be useful once you finally get the 300mm PF lens.

;)

Many thanks for that, unfortunately I have tried the new TC20EIII and although it works I found the IQ to be very lacking and soft, even after setting the AF fine tune I had a lot less keepers than with the 1.7.

Many people speak highly of the "old" 300 f4 lens used with a 1.4 TC. No image stabilization, however. Wex Photographic has it in stock:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-300mm-f4-d-af-s-if-ed-lens/p12882

Or, more expensive, is the 80-400 F4.5-5.6. That has image stabilization, and is also in stock at Wex Photographic;

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-80-400mm-af-s-nikkor-f4-5-5-6g-ed-vr-lens/p1536507

I have no connection with Wex Photographic but I've bought many items from them over the years and their service has always been fast and reliable.

Good luck in your search.

Malcolm

I discounted the 80-400 due to not being weather proof, although I'm sure its a great lens I'd rather a sealed one so at least for me its one less thing to worry about. I know I can use a hood or cover but if at all possible I'd rather a lens that offers some extra protection from the get go.

I hadn't considered the old 300 f4 properly, mainly due to reports that its not great when coupled with the 1.7 TC, but maybe I need to go back and have a look.

No worries at all recommending Wex, I use them loads, they are only a couple of miles from my work and can't thank them enough, however at the same time I'm still careful on their recommendations as in the case of the 300 f4p they said its only lighter and smaller and no difference in IQ, which contradicts all reports worldwide, thus I prefer to ask those who use items in the same way as I plan to.

Just a thought, what about the older 300 f2.8 AF-S II, other than heavy, old and non VR it seems to tick the boxes, but would non VR really hurt me in BIF and the like?

I think that, generally speaking, with birds in flight your shutter speed will be so fast that VR would not be necessary. Of course, there could be other scenarios where it would be of benefit.

Regarding the old 300 F4, I think most people use it with the 1.4 TC, so if you don't have that converter, you'll have to factor in that extra expense.

Malcolm

Great news, Wex called me this afternoon and said they now have the Sigma 150-600 sport in stock and they are going hold one till next weekend for me, after all the worries and concerns I'd be without a lens for my trip unless its a pile of *** I'll be having that :)

Cheers everyone for your help and input its much appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back