• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why ? (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Having decided I will stick with my D7200 & Sigma 150-600 for now and that my best option in the future would be a D500 & Nikon 500 mm PF. So being on a tight budget I have been looking around, always good to keep an eye out for a bargain, also read a few reviews of the 500mm PF, all seem favourable, so why so many for sale ? A fairly new lens on the market, very much sort after originally and yet now there seems to be masses for sale? and the prices vary widly ! Anyone shed anylight on why so many are up for grabs ?
TIA

Having decided I will stick with my D7200 & Sigma 150-600 for now and that my best option in the future would be a D500 & Nikon 500 mm PF. So being on a tight budget I have been looking around, always good to keep an eye out for a bargain, also read a few reviews of the 500mm PF, all seem favourable, so why so many for sale ? A fairly new lens on the market, very much sort after originally and yet now there seems to be masses for sale? and the prices vary widly ! Anyone shed anylight on why so many are up for grabs ?
TIA
I've just been walking at Backwater reservoir thinking through trade-in possibilities. I have the same setup as you @shrek48 but also have a 7500 and several other lenses that I rarely use but, I'm considering going mirrorless, if I can get reasonable deal. As for the 500, are there newer, faster models now, or a 600 that's similar priced but better?

Hello! Seems like they come from people jumping to another system or going mirrorless and replacing 500 PF with 400/4.5S for Z-mount. As for D500 + PF lens, I think there's nothing better for the price at this moment and it's hardly going to change in near future. I myself own a D500 and 300PF and have plans to grab 500PF at first opportunity. Nothing in the mirrorless world seems worth upgrading to except for top-of-the-line Z9 which is way out of my budget anyway, and other manufacturers don't afford anything comparable to PF lens (by which I mean compact and reasonably fast primes).

I've just been walking at Backwater reservoir thinking through trade-in possibilities. I have the same setup as you @shrek48 but also have a 7500 and several other lenses that I rarely use but, I'm considering going mirrorless, if I can get reasonable deal. As for the 500, are there newer, faster models now, or a 600 that's similar priced but better?
I looked at a trade in with my sigma, but as they do, the shops offer very low for what u have and ask top whack for what u want, I know they have to earn a crust but a lot are just greedy ! I will look for a good deal on a 500mmpf then the D500 body after that ! All private deals and either sell what I have privately or just keep it. Luckily I am in no rush ;-)

Hello! Seems like they come from people jumping to another system or going mirrorless and replacing 500 PF with 400/4.5S for Z-mount. As for D500 + PF lens, I think there's nothing better for the price at this moment and it's hardly going to change in near future. I myself own a D500 and 300PF and have plans to grab 500PF at first opportunity. Nothing in the mirrorless world seems worth upgrading to except for top-of-the-line Z9 which is way out of my budget anyway, and other manufacturers don't afford anything comparable to PF lens (by which I mean compact and reasonably fast primes).
I wondered about the mirrorless taking over, hence all the 500's for sale, not sure that accounts for so many, but I may be wrong! Just wondered as the reviews all seem good ! ;-)

I looked at a trade in with my sigma, but as they do, the shops offer very low for what u have and ask top whack for what u want, I know they have to earn a crust but a lot are just greedy ! I will look for a good deal on a 500mmpf then the D500 body after that ! All private deals and either sell what I have privately or just keep it. Luckily I am in no rush ;-)
If I had a shop, seeing people purchasing mirrorless equipment and selling for ordinary SLRs, I would do exactly the same.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back