• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identify this weird bird in Myrtle Beach, SC (1 Viewer)

mlsowers

Hi All,
Please help me identify this weird bird in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I set up a trail-cam to capture images of a raccoon near the dumpster in our community, and got this instead.

The camera is sitting on the ground. The stems of the shrub in the background are about 2 inches in diameter.

I have a theory, but I don't want to influence you just yet.

Attachments

• weird-bird.jpg
    weird-bird.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 176
It does have the coloring of a Northern Cardinal but I must admit, I've never seen them with beaks this large and I have about 2 dozen Cardinals nesting in my yard here in Myrtle Beach ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

This is a female Northern Cardinal with all of her head feathers missing. Juvenile cardinals have dark beaks, so this is probably an adult.

It is a large beak from this angle and it appears to have this thin neck etc...almost juvenile but the coloration is not there for a juvenile. I just think it appears distorted based upon the angle of photo....

Re-ditto. We see a few photos like this every summer on birdforum. Other species can also lose their head feathers, but we see more cardinals in this state than all others combined.

Other species can also lose their head feathers, but we see more cardinals in this state than all others combined.

Yes, we do. I've often wondered why that is. Just an idiosyncrasy of the species? An unusual susceptibility to head lice for instance?

Last edited:
Yes, we do. I've often wondered why that is. Just an idiosyncrasy of the species? An unusual susceptibility to head lice for instance?

Or susceptibility to the stress of going into/through the breeding period with the hormonal changes that entails.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back