• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Appreciate help identifying this bird (1 Viewer)

Kavika

United States
Hi! Apologies if I'm not posting this in the right place. Would appreciate help identifying this bird. If it matters, I live in Alabama. (In fact, my wife's grandfather - Thomas Imhof - wrote the book "Alabama Birds". But no one in her family can figure out what this particular one is. lol)

It's the bird in the background that sounds something like "WHAT WHAT". Thanks!

Hi David and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't think what this is, but no doubt someone from your area will be along soon who can work it out for you.

Meantime I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to the forum, Kavika. The only things I can think of from my Maryland home are a peacock or just maybe a distant Limpkin.

Sadly one requires a Twitter account to view this picture. There are still a few of us that have not sold our souls (Now known as personal Data) to social media companies and cannot access material posted on it.
Thanks. I hear you. Of all of the options this forum allows Twitter was the only one I have an account with. Which media/server do most people here use for posting sound/video, and I'll try it? Thanks.

Hello Kavika,
first and important: welcome to birdforum!

I totally agree with Edwin, but I can play your video embedded here on BF and therefore can hear the sound.

I dont know what it is, but a Peacock dont came into my mind. Your recording seems to lack the tearful/whining quality of Peacock sounds. It sounds too "throaty" for this species.
I hope this is helpful, as I dont know what it is.

Sadly one requires a Twitter account to view this picture. There are still a few of us that have not sold our souls (Now known as personal Data) to social media companies and cannot access material posted on it.
I am able to view the tweet in a browser where I am not logged in to Twitter.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back