• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I take my Camera? (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Hi - I'm going to Lesvos at the end of April and I'm torn whether to take my camera. I have a Nikon D3100 and the largest lens is the Nikkor 55-300 AF zoom. I've had it a few years and never been truly happy with it or the results meaning I've never quite got into it. I've tried various settings but often use the auto or sports settings. I find the camera is often searching just when I'm going for the shot and can't seem to prevent it resulting in lots of bird less pics!

So my dilemma is, as per a recent post on Airline travel, I only have a 6kg hand luggage allowance on Thomas Cook and will obviously have my scope in there. Tripod will be in a suitcase. My wife will have the same. So do I find a way to get it all in? I'm sure I'll be sorry if I leave the camera at home!

Anyone else had a similar dilemma or problem? Any recommendations will help.

Thanks in advance.

Jonno

Hi - I'm going to Lesvos at the end of April and I'm torn whether to take my camera. I have a Nikon D3100 and the largest lens is the Nikkor 55-300 AF zoom. I've had it a few years and never been truly happy with it or the results meaning I've never quite got into it. I've tried various settings but often use the auto or sports settings. I find the camera is often searching just when I'm going for the shot and can't seem to prevent it resulting in lots of bird less pics!

So my dilemma is, as per a recent post on Airline travel, I only have a 6kg hand luggage allowance on Thomas Cook and will obviously have my scope in there. Tripod will be in a suitcase. My wife will have the same. So do I find a way to get it all in? I'm sure I'll be sorry if I leave the camera at home!

Anyone else had a similar dilemma or problem? Any recommendations will help.

Thanks in advance.

Jonno

If you don't have your camera there's bound to be some interesting bird that will pop up in front of you at close range posing nicely.

I had a similar dilema with a trip to Iceland coming up in a couple of weeks. Its not really a birding trip but I hope to be out and about for a few hours at least. My solution was to buy a pocket size Panasonic super zoom. It won't be taking award winning pics but at least I'll have a camera on me at all times.

Thanks BBandW. I need to have a test packing run to see what my weight comes up to for hand luggage. I don't know how strict Thomas Cook are.

I do have a 14x Canon optical zoom compact camera so may well take that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back