• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P900 Preview issue (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
When out looking at birds, I always shoot on the Bird Watching programme, continuous, which works well for me. When I press the Preview button it shows a smallish image of the first shot in the sequence, then if I press OK it enlarges it and allows me to see the rest of them in that 'folder'. When I'd seen them all, it returned to the first one again.

But today, I passed it over to a friend to take some pictures out of his window, as a nice bird had gone there. When I got it back to have a look at the results, I pressed the Preview button and it showed me a large image of the first one.... I was able to scroll to the next images, but at the end of that sequence it went onto the next folder (the first on the card of course).

This isn't what I want, but I'm really struggling to find what must have been pressed either by him or me on the handover to change it.

I've been through the menu in the Preview screen but can't find anything there. How can I get that original setting back please?

When out looking at birds, I always shoot on the Bird Watching programme, continuous, which works well for me. When I press the Preview button it shows a smallish image of the first shot in the sequence, then if I press OK it enlarges it and allows me to see the rest of them in that 'folder'. When I'd seen them all, it returned to the first one again.

But today, I passed it over to a friend to take some pictures out of his window, as a nice bird had gone there. When I got it back to have a look at the results, I pressed the Preview button and it showed me a large image of the first one.... I was able to scroll to the next images, but at the end of that sequence it went onto the next folder (the first on the card of course).

This isn't what I want, but I'm really struggling to find what must have been pressed either by him or me on the handover to change it.

I've been through the menu in the Preview screen but can't find anything there. How can I get that original setting back please?

On the P950, Delia, when you take a picture and the focus area hasn't turned to green, i.e. you've pressed down once rather than press down to get focus, i.e. green, and then press down to again to take the picture; in preview it will show that picture as a large image rather than a small image that you can enlarge.

I'm not sure if it's the same for the P900, but if that makes sense in relation to what you're saying, you could try deleting the pictures taken by your friend and then try previewing the remaining pictures.

Oh dear.... I'm wondering if I used the correct word Paul. I mean the button that lets you see the result of what you taken in the screen.

Before I handed over the camera to him, I was able to see pictures I'd taken as I described above, a smallish image of the first one in the sequence. When you press OK you get a larger image, which you could then zoom in on, or you could press the right button to scroll through the other 7 (if you've taken that many).

What seems to have happened is that the pictures are no longer in a 'folder' but all separate images.

I can't, for the moment, lay my hands on the manual.

Oh dear.... I'm wondering if I used the correct word Paul. I mean the button that lets you see the result of what you taken in the screen.

Before I handed over the camera to him, I was able to see pictures I'd taken as I described above, a smallish image of the first one in the sequence. When you press OK you get a larger image, which you could then zoom in on, or you could press the right button to scroll through the other 7 (if you've taken that many).

What seems to have happened is that the pictures are no longer in a 'folder' but all separate images.

I can't, for the moment, lay my hands on the manual.
If the photos aren’t in a folder, is it possible the SD card has been reformatted on a laptop rather than on the camera?

I've not re-formatted the card/s. I always delete the pictures on the camera after downloading to the computer.

I'd checked several of the pictures taken before those he took, and it worked as normal... I'm sure he tripped something, but for the life of me I can't work out what. LOL

I've not re-formatted the card/s. I always delete the pictures on the camera after downloading to the computer.

I'd checked several of the pictures taken before those he took, and it worked as normal... I'm sure he tripped something, but for the life of me I can't work out what. LOL
I’m just looking at my P900 now. If I’m previewing photos and then press menu there’s an option called Sequence display options. Press ok on that and change it to key picture only. That might set it how you prefer.

Oh Gottit!!! I've no idea how it could have happened, but I've managed to find the right menu options now.

In Preview mode, press Menu. Select Sequence display options, then select Key picture only. I'd looked at that before, but didn't know what it meant and was afraid to select it in case it messed up something else LOL.

Thanks for looking guys.

Hi Scotty.... we both got there about the same time... took me longer to try and explain what I did LOL.

Neither of us would have gone into the menu to change that setting, so I don't know how it happened. Weird.

Thanks so much though. It'd taken me hours of menu hopping trying to work it out.

Sounds like the zoom button on the shutter has been moved while in the playback picture viewing mode. This feature will crop pictures if you move it too the right and if you move it too the left allow you to view multiple images right back to a calendar view. Just push the play button and move this zoom lever till you get back to how you like to view your images. I hope this helps cheers Stu

Aaaah!!! Thank you Stu.

... And "Playback" was the word I was looking for, wasn't it LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back