• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a backward step for Nikon (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
So about to buy a D300 (if I can find one at a reasonable price) Jessops had a good deal with a grip, 8Gb Extreme III and a free bag for £1179.00, trouble is no grips, Parks match it without the memory card and bag, warehouse express are just not in the game at another £100 on top. Don't think I can spend £1000 on an import and no Nikon warranty, used a Mack warranty last year and not impressed.

Anyhow on my D200 the grip is connected via the battery port in the body so both are accessible via the back of said grip, I notice that on the D300 if you connect a grip only one battery sits in it as the other remains in the body so if you need to get at the one in the body you have no option but to remove the grip each time, surely this is a backward step or have I missed something.

Having only played with one without a grip for a short time I've not actually seen the grip in the flesh

Hi Steve,
Must have won the lottery!!
Mistake by Nikon?? I will leave that for others to decide, but I have the grip+D300, the grip is well made and fits nice and snug.You can opt to select which battery is used first, ie body or grip under d10 in the custom settings.
I use a second enel3e battery in the grip, you can of course use AAs, or the expensive enel4a from the D3.To use the enel4a you will also need the battery compartment door from a d2 or d3 about £29 ish, hence I use the enel3e.
Battery life is very good indeed and I usually find after a shoot that I just top up the one in the grip and about every 4 weeks I top up both.Grip is easy to change, and doubt you will drain down both batteries.
I bought the grip purely to increase the body weight of the camera, so as to bring it nearer to the weight of my other bodies. Very nice camera, easy to use, fast AF, best at 21 points for BIFs, don't think you will be disappointed, should you get one.
Hope some of these ramblings help.
regards I4ani

Last edited:
I4ani, thanks I suppose I forgot that the improved battery life may help, I'm glad you enjoy the camera, looking forward to playing when I order one

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back