• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head for a 300mm lens. (1 Viewer)

BarryH

Most of the threads about heads on here are for the heavier, longer 500 and 600mm lenses where the Wimberley is the undoubted King. All this may be a bit of overkill with the D300s, 300mm AF-S and 1.7TC combo I mainly use for birding.

Currently I'm using one of the Manfrotto 393 gimbal type heads, it's OK but I do find it to be a bit bulky when carrying it around.

I'm looking for an alternative, either a ballhead or a different, lighter gimbal. I've read about the different Jobu and Benro gimbals and the Acratech, RRS and Arca-Swiss ballheads. The more I read, the more confused I become.

Any recommendations or advice would be most welcomed.

I don't really like a ballhead for my 300 - it's far too unstable. I use either a Jobu BW gimbal or an Acratech pan/tilt head. Neither is a cheap solution. The Acratech is for when I want something very small and very light - i.e., not a gimbal. I've also found that it works very well with my scope.

I don't really like a ballhead for my 300 - it's far too unstable. I use either a Jobu BW gimbal or an Acratech pan/tilt head. Neither is a cheap solution. The Acratech is for when I want something very small and very light - i.e., not a gimbal. I've also found that it works very well with my scope.

Thanks for the help Frank.

The Acratech Long Lens head is within my budget and was something I was seriously considering.

Hi Barry.............I've only had my piece of kit 2 days and have not had time to use it outside but........
I was in the same state of total confusion as you; taking pictures seemed to be the easy part ! However, after a suggestion from Roy in Barnstable ( Thanks Roy ...:t:)
I bought a Jobu Jnr.2 (BWG-J2) for my Canon 7d & 100-400mm zoom. It also seems to work very well with my 800 series Kowa scope. I had also seen it recommended by others on this forum.
It is smaller than the Whimberly but not hugely so, certainly lighter and very well constructed. It does seem a quality item. I don't imagine it is as smooth etc as the Whimberly but at half the price I think it will function beautifully.
My one problem so far is that the balance point you look for when setting it up naturally changes depending on where the lens is using the zoom......... but I think in the field this will not be a real problem.
An even greater confusion is which plate to get.............I opted for a Whimberly in case I ever get one of their gimbal heads for a big prime.
Hope this helps
Robin

I bought a Jobu Jnr.2 (BWG-J2) for my Canon 7d & 100-400mm zoom.
My one problem so far is that the balance point you look for when setting it up naturally changes depending on where the lens is using the zoom......... but I think in the field this will not be a real problem.
An even greater confusion is which plate to get.............I opted for a Whimberly in case I ever get one of their gimbal heads for a big prime.
Hope this helps
Robin

Thanks for the help Robin,guys.

Having a prime lens, the balance should be easier to achieve for me and, having changed to a Kirk collar on the Nikon lens, it should be a straight fit for the Jobu (Arca style) mount.

What I was worried about with the Jobu Junior was someone had mentioned the arm that swings does flex a little. It may be an idea to get the full kit and try it with and without the swing arm, use it as a side mount.

Morning Barry............an update.
I had just had a minor problem with my Jobu Jnr2. I phoned the company and the owner phoned back very shortly after to help me.
i think I over tightened the horizontal lock nut and caused it to be way too tight in rotation.
However Ian, the owner, simply suggested i return it to them and he will replace it with the new Jobu Jnr3......which is apparently a much better (stiffer) unit. I too, had found the vertical arm flexed a little with my 100-400mm.
The jobu Jnr 3 is about to hit the market.
I couldn't be happier with the service.:t:
Robin

Robin, did you get your replacement?

As the new JR3 is not due into the UK for a few weeks, I ordered on direct from Canada. The latest news I have shows it left your country last night.

This Jr3 looks and specs similar to the slightly smaller GH-1 models from Benro and Induro. I wonder if its 725g weight inlcudes the swing arm plate? If it does, then it is definitely lightweight!

I am playing with the HD2 black widow and the lens plate is sf/nxm today that I puchased yesterday. I use a 50D and the sigma 150-500. the hd2 is very nicely made with 2 sets of bearings and is very smooth. the lens plate is larger than I need but I hope to purchase a canon 500 f4 eventually. the guy at THG was exceptionally helpful including setting my gear up. first rate service. Also his images are superb/ canon 600 f4 and 1D. mike

The 725g is the complete kit.

The JR3 measures 1" lower in height than the JR2 and quite a bit lower than the HD models.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back