• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could these be...surely not!? (1 Viewer)

originalspykid69

Spotted in a park in Bristol by my Girlfriend last week.

The name is on the tip of my tongue , but I dont want to say it and be disapointed!:eek!:

Bad pics I know , and in silouette , but can you try to identify them please?

Lee.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 298
I don't think they are Waxwings (if thats what your thinking), but I not sure you'll get a definitive answer as to what they are. Do you have any other photos?

CB

I don't think they are Waxwings (if thats what your thinking), but I not sure you'll get a definitive answer as to what they are. Do you have any other photos?

CB

Wasn't thinking Waxwing , although that would have been equally as exciting!

I dont think she got any more pics as they flew off. She's insistant they were big "Finches"

I'd say greenfinch, imagine you're hoping for Haw?

Hawfinch was on the tip of my tongue yes! They'd be a rarity here for sure , like everywhere. However. The tail didn't look right , should be short and squared off for hawfinch , and a massive bill? I've never seen one , so was hoping! Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks guys for you invaluable help as always. I'm sure if Hawfinches were to decend on a park in Bristol there would be hoards of birders there. I think I'll settle on Greenfinches , reluctantly , and nip over to the forest of dean in the next few weeks in pursuit of the elusive Hawfinches. Lee.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back