• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens dilemma (1 Viewer)

For a week or so I've been pondering whether to swap my sigma non os 120-300 for a Canon 400 5.6. As well as a 2x converter for the sigma I have canon 500f4 old type and 1.4 converter. Then I think for BIF is the 400 long enough, sometimes the 500 isn't! Birds are elusive critters, I'm going to the Farnes soon, will the sigma do the job?
I'll take the SX40 anyway and it is good to have a choice but what to do for the best?

On the Farnes 400mm is fine but for some things like the Arctic Terns it's probably too long. It's the one place a 70-200mm zoom is excellent for birds.

I almost agree with you on everything Roy but the new light weight 500mm f4 lens is a better option than the 300mm f2.8 as a walk about lens IMO. I found the older Mk1 500mm too heavy to hand hold but the Mk11 is a totally different beast. It seems to balance really well, the lens foot makes a bigger carrying handle than you have on the 300mm. Now I have gone full frame I am not using the 300mm very often.
I used to have both a 500 and 600mm Mk1, the 600mm is a brute but the newer one weighs the same as the old 500mm. For me the decision wasn't just usable weight though, it was also about airline carry on limits. If you travel abroad, especially on certain charter flights like Thomas Cook and Monarch you have to consider what you can take very carefully. The downside is I miss the extra reach of the 600mm.
Yep, I agree about the 500/4 MkII being a lot lighter than the MkI Dave but for a lot of folk even 3.19 Kg is going to be plenty heavy enough for hand holding and walking big distances. I guess it depends on you fitness and type of shooting you do (and how close you can get to the birds). We will all have different requirements I guess.
Strangely enough I have not heard of may people using the 500/4 II - there are lots of folks who have upgraded their 500/4 I to a 600/4 II.

The decision to move from a 500mk1 to a 600mk11 probably has a lot to do with the fact there was 1) no weight gain in the swop and 2) the 5D3 and 1DX being full frame bodies.
You are right about fitness levels too. Must admit since I turned 60 various bits are starting to play up and some symptoms have probably been exacerbated by my camera toting obsession. Bad backs and carpal tunnel problems are the order of the day !!!
You only live once though and I'm taking the opportunities while I still can manage them. No good sitting in the care home regretting what might have been!

Some very good thoughts there guys thanks. Roy you knowledge of equipment is use to know coz you've had a lot of experience over the years and it's appreciated.

The decision to move from a 500mk1 to a 600mk11 probably has a lot to do with the fact there was 1) no weight gain in the swop and 2) the 5D3 and 1DX being full frame bodies.
You are right about fitness levels too. Must admit since I turned 60 various bits are starting to play up and some symptoms have probably been exacerbated by my camera toting obsession. Bad backs and carpal tunnel problems are the order of the day !!!
You only live once though and I'm taking the opportunities while I still can manage them. No good sitting in the care home regretting what might have been!
Absolutely right there Dave, for anyone that can afford and manage one of the big primes then it is the way to go. I did not even start this bird snapping lark until I was past 60 and now that I have had my 'three score years and ten' it becomes a little more difficult each year so my gear has been getting lighter and lighter lol. BTW I also have carpal tunnel problems and although it never seems to effect me much when out shooting I can normally feel it the next day.

I've compared my 400mm 5.6 with a friend who uses the Sigma 120-300mm OS (1st version) and a Sigma 2x TC. the image of the latter combo would be larger but does not stand up as well to cropping compared to my prime lens. Meaning that details get lost or more blurred once you start cropping. Image sharpness straight out of the camera was largely equal from what I could see, but he was shooting at f/8 for most of his shots while I did not have to stop down one bit.

All the reviews that ive read seem to really rate the sigma either 9 out of 10 or 4.5 out of 5. but ive have seen much evidence of images using TCs. I think im 90% certain to give it a go and maybe bight the bullit if it does'nt work and leave it as a learning point. I also think the lens has'nt been round long enough for it to be really tested for birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back