• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The birds have all packed their bags and gone (1 Viewer)

Sannie

Like, most people in life I adore feeding the birds, especially when they are busy flying back and forth feeding their nestlings. Now every bird has suddenly disappeared even though there is a wide selection of food to eat and no enemies have been spotted. I think they may have perhaps gone into the local woods for a while. Of course I understand that migration and other things, do play a part in their life and that birds are having to adapt to a changing world.

Hi Sannie

There is plenty of natural feed for them in the wider countryside just now... they'll be back, don't worry.

Mine disappeared for weeks, but are now returning just this last week.

Lots of adult birds moult at the moment, some in preparation for migration. For a lot of small birds this is a complete moult, including their main flight feathers, so maintaining a very low profile is the smart strategy as their ability to evade predators is impaired. Also contrary to breeding time there is no advantage in 'standing out from the crowd'. Consequently most garden birds 'skulk about' deep in the undergrowth, or form foraging flocks where there is safety in numbers and go 'walkabout' in the local countryside.

As Delia says, like Arnie Swartz, they'll be back!

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back