• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica HD Ultravid PLUS (1 Viewer)

The programme for Birdfair mentions that the Plus versions of 8 and 10 x 32 will be available at the show - 21-23 August.

Interesting. As I understood the previous tests of the 32mm and 42mm models of the Ultravid HD, the 32mm models already had the highest transmission. I'm quite interested to see what the 8x32 HD Plus will be like.

Hermann

Thanks Bob. I just ordered a Leica Ultravid HD 10x42. The savings over the HD Plus were significant. I am sure the HD+ is better than HD, but they look exactly the same. I did compare SV, SF and UV personally and found that Ultravid suited me best. The real + is they are gorgeous to look at.

I think you will be happy with it. I'm very pleased with the one I purchased recently.

Last year I picked up a Demo Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline at a substantial saving from Camera Land. The box was opened but the binocular clearly had been untouched.

These Blacklines, which are leather covered are slimmer and lighter than the standard rubber cover Ultravids but are still the same original Ultravids without the later HD or HD-Plus improvements.

I've never been susceptible to CA and see none when I use these. I think that they are perhaps the best bargain I ever had in a binocular (except when I picked up a Nikon 10x32 EDG I after they were discontinued for $999.00 and Nikon threw in an SLR camera and lens kit with it!:t:).

Bob

Thanks Bob. I just ordered a Leica Ultravid HD 10x42. The savings over the HD Plus were significant. I am sure the HD+ is better than HD, but they look exactly the same. I did compare SV, SF and UV personally and found that Ultravid suited me best. The real + is they are gorgeous to look at.

And THAT may be the "best buy" of all the options. I'm loving my pair of Ultravid HDs that I got in mid 2014. I thought I'd sell them to help finance a pair of Zeiss SFs (I admit the marketing and reviews have me hooked) but realized after a month or so of pondering this (and taking my Uvids out no further than the feeders and backyard) I can't do that. I'll wait until I can afford to buy SFs straight out-the Leicas have (probably) always got a home. :t:

I can't recall where I found this but this is a cutaway of the 7x42 UVHD+ model.

Attachments

• uvhdplus7x42.jpg
    uvhdplus7x42.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 365
And THAT may be the "best buy" of all the options. I'm loving my pair of Ultravid HDs that I got in mid 2014. I thought I'd sell them to help finance a pair of Zeiss SFs (I admit the marketing and reviews have me hooked) but realized after a month or so of pondering this (and taking my Uvids out no further than the feeders and backyard) I can't do that. I'll wait until I can afford to buy SFs straight out-the Leicas have (probably) always got a home. :t:

I compared SF, SV and UV HD+ in a store and liked the Leica UV better. I don't wear glasses and the long ER of Zeiss SF did not work for me causing blackouts. Looking at the SF and HD+ side-by-side, the build quality of the Leica is a clear winner. The SF is rather large, but perfectly balanced. The Leica UV just fit my hands better.

Also the HD 10x42 now making way for HD+ is on sale at around $1700 in some stores. This is only $200 more than the Trinovid which is a bargain.

I had a couple weeks of French in college, so let me translate the pertinent parts:

We traveled several websites and forums in different countries (Orniwelt.de, Birdforum.net, Juelich-bonn.com, Binocularreviews.org, Dutchbirding.nl, huntinglife.com and Ornithomedia.com) and we read the discussions and Articles speaking binoculars Leica Ultravid HD-Plus since September 2014. We have identified the most significant comments and opinions and / or frequently recurring problems with our company, namely, that our customer service stinks ("le Peu") because our reps are sometimes arrogant and slow in responding to customer requests.

Accordingly, we have replaced our German-born customer service reps with Canadians, because they are internationally known for their courtesy and informality (no "Herr" for Canadians in the workplace, they use their first names - Justin, Neve, Hume, or Shania - whether they are the janitor or the CEO).

We hope this change will please our customers, eh?

<B>

Brock, I could not find the parts you mention above. Was that just wishful dreaming? o:)

But the original comparative chart shows the major dealbreaker for me, the unchanged poor eye relief. Looks like Leica would have to completely redo their basic optics system for that. Essentially, the eye relief problem exists since the Trinovid models came out.

Brock, I could not find the parts you mention above. Was that just wishful dreaming? o:)

But the original comparative chart shows the major dealbreaker for me, the unchanged poor eye relief. Looks like Leica would have to completely redo their basic optics system for that. Essentially, the eye relief problem exists since the Trinovid models came out.

It is probably tough to make their ER longer and still keep them as compact as they are relative to the other Alphas in their class.

In the 42mm models the 10x has 16mm ER, the 8x has 15.5mm and the 7x has 17.1mm. My 8x42 Blackline has 15.5mm ER and they have the original Ultravid coatings before HD was added.

Company 7 gives somewhat longer ER measurements in their 8/10/2003 announcement of the new Ultravids. See the chart here: Scroll back up if necessary to see the specs chart.

http://www.company7.com/leica/news.html#1September2000

Bob

I received my new Ultravid HD 10x42 a few days back and it is just amazing. My serial# starts with 1630### and the passport card had a Nov 2014 date. I assume Leica has the build process down to a tee after many years of production and I can see quality exuding from every aspect of the HD. The stunning view through it complemented by the gorgeous good looks is what sold me on the Leica over Swaro and Zeiss. The image is crystal clear, the focuser is so smooth and the diopter adjustment is a dream. What more do you want?

I watched a family of Whistling ducks in the local pond the past two days. The ducklings are all grown up now and it was a pleasure to watch them well past twilight before total darkness. Even in total darkness I could still keep track of them in the faint light from the street lamp. The Ultravid is definitely better than my Nikon EII in low light. It surprisingly has good depth of view for a 10x.

I want say some more about that sleek dark body, but I don't want to be banned from the site ;)

Last edited:
Few days ago i check also the HD PLUS 10X42

I went to the store to talk with the owner a photographer friend of mine, he sold me time ago a Leica M9 camera and 2 lenses, the idea was to give him my beloved ultravid 8x42 BL in order to get some cash back and place an order for an 10x50 ultravid plus.

I really like my 8x42 BL the build and finish was like a jewel and the view......absolutely SHARP with great micro contrast etc etc..... well everybody who own a leica knows it.

Also because i have an SF 8X42.....well i write a lot on Zeiss forum and created some controversy, but the fact is also reported by other users and binomania that SF has lowest contrast, similar resolution but also lowest Definition than LEICAS or Swaros.

Of course this kind of gentle view helps to recover detail into the shadows and gives a very natural view but at the same time lacks of punch for me, and during very bright days the view looks overxposed, just to bright for me, and i don't use sunglasses daily so i am not sensitive ti bright light.

What can i say.....not my cup of tea.

OH Sorry coming back to the initial part of this post, in the store they had only a sample of leica the 10x42 ultra plus.

And yes !!!! is very very bright even to much when looking some building with light colors, so their performances for light transmission are at the top among the competition, but the GOOD NEWS, Leica colors and contrast still there the view is bright but contrasty full of detail and very very easy to focus.

The transparency is another improvement compare with non PLUS version, less glass influence on view, and the colors.....OH men the colors even the muted ones are shown with its delicate tonality variations.

So i still waiting anxious my 10x50 HD PLUS and compare against my brother SV 10X42....not the same front lenses size but during day time is gonna be interesting to put them side by side.

Cheers.

Last edited:
So i still waiting anxious my 10x50 HD PLUS and compare against my brother SV 10X42....not the same front lenses size but during day time is gonna be interesting to put them side by side.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Hi globetrotter. Did you finish your comparative test? These are exactly the two binoculars i'm most interested in. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Hi globetrotter. Did you finish your comparative test? These are exactly the two binoculars i'm most interested in. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sr Klass.

I've been using the 2 binoculars during many many days together, all weather conditions sunny, overcast, raining sunrise til sunset........honestly you can not go wrong with either.

Both are superb sharp and they offer crystal clear images with the highest quality

I really like the extra brightness of LEICA and his superb colors also the view is like more realistic with and extra punch into the view maybe due to the HT glass and superb coatings.

Just small diferences the final decision can be really difficult try the binoculars by yourself and share your experience here, maybe i can help.

Have a nice Day !!!!!

Much longer than that! My understanding is that the optical formulae of the mid and full-sized roof prism bins from Leica haven't really changed since the introduction of the Trinovid Ultra BA line in ~1990. The only changes in the subsequent BN, Ultravid, Ultravid HD, and now these PLUS bins have been to coatings, glass type, and housing design. But I'm not disappointed--these are excellent bins for birding, and I like to see continuity of tried and true designs.

--AP

I couldn't agree more! I tried them all. Now I've got a pair of 8x32 BA's off eBay for £300. I even got a leather Leica case with them. The perfect Binocular for me. There's just something about them! Now I can relax :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back