• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whinchat or wheatear? Uk (1 Viewer)

Luke_Herts

Hi,
Took these yesterday and i though they were whinchats but someone today has said they are wheatears possibly greenland wheatear.
IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

Thanks,
Luke

I must admit it looks "pear-shaped" enough ( fat bellied ) for Greenland but it's a taxon that's easier to ID in the field than off a photo.
Chris

As mentioned upthread - Greenland is really quite easy in the field. I saw one yesterday and it looked nearly as big as a song trush.
Fine images too.

I must admit it looks "pear-shaped" enough ( fat bellied ) for Greenland but it's a taxon that's easier to ID in the field than off a photo.
Chris

Sorry, as a complete novice, don't get the 'greenland bit'. Are we talking 'Northern Wheatear'... one and the same thing???

Attached are three images of the same bird. Thin, fat (pear-shaped???) and back view. All same bird... sorry again don't get reference to 'pear-shaped'... surely it depends on the bird's posture or is 'pear shaped' a distinct feature?

Again, this bird believed to be female, 1st year winter, unless you can advise other.
Many Thanks
g

Attachments

• P1430742.thin.jpeg
    P1430742.thin.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 98
  • P1430749.fat.jpeg
    P1430749.fat.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 95
  • P1430753.hide.crop.jpeg
    P1430753.hide.crop.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 88
As mentioned upthread - Greenland is really quite easy in the field. I saw one yesterday and it looked nearly as big as a song trush.
Fine images too.

Over simplification of Wheatear racial identification is rife. Birds from Northern Scotland/Ireland and Iceland all can resemble the "Greenland" race of Wheatear, and are probably intergrades, or perhaps its just a clinal thing. Personally, I never claim a "Greenland" Wheatear.

Sorry, as a complete novice, don't get the 'greenland bit'. Are we talking 'Northern Wheatear'... one and the same thing???

Exactly the same species, but a different sub-species. "Greenlands" are larger, more brightly coloured and look distinctly fatter bellied ( pear-shaped ) than the ones that breed in Britain. The best time to see them is in May, on the coast of the north-west, Wirral isn't a bad place for them. Once you've seen a few, annually, then they are not that difficult to spot. Looking at your second set of photo's I'd say it's a British / Scandanavian bird, not a Greenland. It's a bit "lightweight" and not quite richly coloured enough.
Chris

I may be completely wrong but on checking the Collins Bird Guide book it looks more like a Male Wheater in Autumn colours.

Please feel free to correct me and point out the error of my ways. As I am new to this too and would welcome clarification.

kind regards

Over simplification of Wheatear racial identification is rife. Birds from Northern Scotland/Ireland and Iceland all can resemble the "Greenland" race of Wheatear, and are probably intergrades, or perhaps its just a clinal thing. Personally, I never claim a "Greenland" Wheatear.

I thought birds from Iceland were "Greenland" race? Saw loads in Greenland this summer and they didn't look any different to the birds I see in Iceland.

You are probably right, in that those on Iceland are Greenland Wheatears, but then those in NW Scotland, for example, are unlike nominate Oenanthe, so where do you draw the line from one race to another. Not that it really matter, as a Wheatear is a Wheatear, but I favour a clinal change personally.

sorry again don't get reference to 'pear-shaped'... surely it depends on the bird's posture or is 'pear shaped' a distinct feature?

A classic Greenland type has a big fat belly which can't be masked even by the most upright posture. A problem I sympathise with entirely.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back