• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

RJSeargent

Birding at the taxpayer's expense. Head down, bin
New thread for all things ornithological for Tice's Meadow (SU870489) and neighbouring Tongham GP.

Rich

Last edited:
Below is Kev D's post on migrant first dates for Tice's:

With the summer migrants about to start arriving at anytime and waders on the move, here are the earliest dates for migrants at Tices Meadow.
Will any of these dates be beaten this year?
The meadow and the flooded workings are looking good to attract the waders again this year

Little Ringed Plover 19/03/2009 12 Mar 11?
Ringed Plover 24/04/2009
Dunlin 23/03/2007 12 Mar 11?
Bar-tailed Godwit 24/04/2009
Whimbrel 24/4/2008
Greenshank 08/04/2010
Common Sandpiper 04/04/2009
Turnstone 24/04/2009
Common Tern 13/04/2009
Sand Martin 08/03/2009 17 Mar 11
Swallow 27/03/2005
Whinchat 24/04/2010
Wheatear 18/03/2010
Sedge Warbler 09/04/2010
Lesser Whitethroat 14/04/2009
Whitethroat 20/04/2005
Garden Warbler 25/04/2008
Blackcap * 29/03/2007 has over-wintered
Willow Warbler 09/04/2006
Chiffchaff * 25/03/2006 has over-wintered overwintered 10/11

A couple of commoner waders to look out for that have never been recorded at Tices Meadow are Red Knot and Grey Plover.

Kevin

Last edited:
A look at Tice's this afternoon revealed a Dunlin on the workings (good if somone could confirm this, as it was distant and in poor light, thought it was a Common Sand at first). Also a female Sparrowhawk chasing a Feral Pigeon over Tongham, but they went behind the trees so didn't see if it suceeded.

I walked down to Tice's in the rain this morning. Heard a Chiffchaff and a Buzzard along the path by T.S. Swiftsure. Not a great deal at Tice's apart from the usual scattering of gulls, cormorants and wildfowl. One Green Sandpiper flew up from one of the pools in the reedbed. There were two small grey-ish waders out on the sandbar in the workings, which looked a lot like Dunlin, though without a scope I can't be 100% sure. Also two singing Chiffchaff in the hedgerow. Will definitely visit again over the weekend if the weather improves! Nice treat on the walk home: five Waxwings on a tree by the railway line next to Swiftsure.

Matt.

Dunlin, in non-breeding plumage, was the highlight of an afternoon visit to Tice's in the rain. Wildfowl and Gull numbers were low and, apart from a lone Chiffchaff in the reed beds, there were no other migrant passerines. Numbers are shown below (in order of appearance):

Skylark (2), Cormorant (7), Coot (12), Gadwall (5), Shoveler (3), BH Gull (11), LBB Gull (3), Lapwing (3), Tufted Duck (21), Wigeon - drakes (2), Grey Heron (1), Green Sandpiper (1), Chiffchaff (1), Dunlin (1) M Pipit (1).

35 species in total.

Rich

Last edited:
Dunlin, in non-breeding plumage, was the highlight of an afternoon visit to Tice's in the rain. Wildfowl and Gull numbers were low and, apart from a lone Chiffchaff in the reed beds, there were no other migrant passerines. Numbers are shown below (in order of appearance):

Skylark (2), Cormorant (7), Coot (12), Gadwall (5), Shoveler (3), BH Gull (11), LBB Gull (3), Lapwing (3), Tufted Duck (21), Wigeon - drakes (2), Grey Heron (1), Green Sandpiper (1), Chiffchaff (1), Dunlin (1) M Pipit (1).

35 species in total.

Rich

Ah, I must've been mistaken on the 2 x Dunlin call. Apologies!

Tices 06:45 - 08:00 - 2 w/p Dunlin on the workings, 2 Snipe, 1 Chiffchaff, 7 Teal, 5 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, 1 Lapwing, 1 Skylark, & singing Reed Bunting.

John.

A much warmer afternoon with spring like conditions. The first Water Pipit of the year was flushed from the meadow but appeared to head south over the workings. Things are looking up with Green Sandpiper (2), Dunlin (2) and 1 lone Little-ringed Plover. Other notables:

Chiffchaff (4), Shoveler (5), Teal (10), BH Gull (200+), LBB Gull (7), H Gull, 4, C Gull (21), Tufted Duck (11) Gadwall (1), Reed Bunting (1), Stock Dove (8), Meadow Pipit (7) and Redwing (10+)

A reasonable 45 species in total.

Rich

Last edited:
Life got in the way of any decent birding today. Did have two short trips to Tice's and Tongham GP though. Lovely view of a Red Kite flying west over Tongham GP at 17:00. No Sand Martins at either, though I saw some were seen at Badshot Lea Pond today, where I think I saw one whilst driving past yesterday afternoon .

Matt.

Good early morning session at Tices today, stunning Adult Med Gull on workings with BH Gulls until approx 08:15. Also 1 w/p Dunlin still, 2 Green Sands, & 2 Barnacle Geese. Other species seen - Lapwing (4), Skylark (2), Meadow Pipit (9), Reed Bunting (2), Shoveler (19), Gadwall (6), Teal (11), Stock Dove (2), Snipe (1), & Chiffchaff (4).

John.

Good early morning session at Tices today, stunning Adult Med Gull on workings with BH Gulls until approx 08:15. Also 1 w/p Dunlin still, 2 Green Sands, & 2 Barnacle Geese. Other species seen - Lapwing (4), Skylark (2), Meadow Pipit (9), Reed Bunting (2), Shoveler (19), Gadwall (6), Teal (11), Stock Dove (2), Snipe (1), & Chiffchaff (4).

John.

Nothing much to add to John's comments. Cracking morning start with both John and Rich H - Med Gull almost like a bus, you get none for months then five in quick succession!

40 species in total.

Rich

Last edited:
4 LRPs at the workings this afternoon. Smaller number of wildfowl than usual but 6 Lapwing and 1 Snipe. Chiffchaff numbers are building. Sand Martin and Swallows in the morning (via Rich H). Good to meet Sean Foote finally and it would be good to know if he saw the Barnacle Goose later as it came in to roost.

34 species in total.

Rich

Last edited:
Good to meet you, Rich. I don't think I stayed late enough to see any roosting Geese (I left about an hour after you left). I can only add at least 6 Buzzard, 2 Sparrowhawk, and 7 distant hirundines which passed through quickly, that I am 90% sure were all Sand Martin.

Sean

A cracking morning in the Sun. Slightly worried as Rich H and I entered the meadow to be told by two birders that they had found no waders whatsoever. We set up at the end of the embankment and immediately found 6 LRPs and 1 Green Sandpiper. 6 Sand Martins also over. I wonder if the first two birders were looking at the right gravel pit!

Next species I expect to see - Ascension Frigatebird, off to ASI early tomorrow morning!

Rich

Last edited:
Excellent morning at Tices today in the sunshine with more migrants. First up I found a Redshank on the edge of the workings, then noticed a readhead Goosander on the water nearby. During the watch I had at least a dozen Sand Martin over the workings, at least 4 Chiffchaff in full song, & best of all just before leaving, a smart male Wheatear on the meadow - about time too!
At least 6 Little Ringed Plover around the site were noted also.
Other species present - 9 Teal, 4 Shoveler, Little Grebe, Snipe, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, & Linnet.

John.

Popped back down after lunch & the Wheatear was present along with the Redshank. Added 2 Green Sands to todays tally which I found in the workings.
Also nice to properly meet Matt Phelps today after briefly crossing paths previously at Cutt Mill.

John.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back