• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, Caribbean Side of Canal, Panama (1 Viewer)

SueO

Hi,
I have been trying to ID this bird for a few hours. I think it is a Yellow-olive Flycatcher, but it has many of the same attributes as the Yellow-margined Flycatcher. I have googled images and some that are called Y-O look like my bird and and others marked as Y-M look like my bird. I don't think half of them are labeled right at this point. ;)This is a lifer and I am not comfortable putting it on my list without confirmation. My reasons for Y-O:
1. Ridgely points out there is usually a 'prominent' pale speculum at the base of primaries on the YM. I can't see that. I have blown up and sharpened a side view to help with ID. #1 photo
2. Pale iris (but apparently Y-M usually has dark--I don't know if this is one of the unusual instances)
3. Fairly prominent wing-bars.
4. Underparts not too contrasted.
I didn't hear a call and both birds are present in my location.
Any help and or comments would be appreciated.
Thank-you,
Sue

Attachments

• yfly.JPG
    yfly.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 65
  • yfly2.JPG
    yfly2.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 69
  • yfly3.JPG
    yfly3.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
  • yfly4.JPG
    yfly4.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi Sue,
Flycatchers are difficult and I usually get them wrong, so I should not be attempting to answer here, but: I think you are right.

For one thing, Ridgely writes that the pale speculum is lacking in Yellow-olive

Niels

Hi Sue,
Flycatchers are difficult and I usually get them wrong, so I should not be attempting to answer here, but: I think you are right.

For one thing, Ridgely writes that the pale speculum is lacking in Yellow-olive

Niels

Hi Niels,
Thanks for clarifying things. In my reasons for thinking YO, I had written,
"1. Ridgely points out there is usually a 'prominent' pale speculum at the base of primaries. I can't see that."
I failed to put YM in that sentence. I've edited.
You are the second to cast a vote for YO. Thanks for your input.
I am going to go back manana and see if I can't find the bird again. Probably won't get lucky...but, try, try again.
Sue

Hi Sue,

Your bird looks like a Yellow-olive Flycatcher to me. The Yellow-margined is really similar, but the wing coverts are more strongly edged pale (pale not limited to the tips like on Yellow-olive). Yellow-margined also has a pale patch at the base of the primaries (lacking in Yellow-olive). I've attached a crappy picture of a Yellow-margined I took in Darien earlier this year to help illustrate the differences.

Chris

Attachments

• Yellow-margined Flycatcher.jpg
    Yellow-margined Flycatcher.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 56
Hi Sue,

Your bird looks like a Yellow-olive Flycatcher to me. The Yellow-margined is really similar, but the wing coverts are more strongly edged pale (pale not limited to the tips like on Yellow-olive). Yellow-margined also has a pale patch at the base of the primaries (lacking in Yellow-olive). I've attached a crappy picture of a Yellow-margined I took in Darien earlier this year to help illustrate the differences.

Chris

Thank-you, Chris! Yes, I can see the edging and clearly see the patch. My field guide did say 'prominent' and I couldn't see it on my bird. I also notice that the YM has a rather red demonic looking eye, surely that can't be missed.;)
Thanks for helping again.
Sue

I also notice that the YM has a rather red demonic looking eye, surely that can't be missed.;)

Hey Sue,

You're welcome. One minor point, the red eye is a photographic artifact (flash). The eye is normally dark brownish-gray in color with the pupil still noticeable. The Yellow-olives in central and eastern Panama also have eyes that are darker than those of Mexico through western Panama, though still slightly paler than those of Yellow-margined.

Chris

Hey Sue,

You're welcome. One minor point, the red eye is a photographic artifact (flash). Chris
The eye is normally dark brownish-gray in color with the pupil still noticeable. The Yellow-olives in central and eastern Panama also have eyes that are darker than those of Mexico through western Panama, though still slightly paler than those of Yellow-margined.

I wondered about that when I was searching the net. I saw some YO that had much lighter eyes and I saw what were called YM with quite pale eyes. Thanks again for your help again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back