• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden XP 8x42 and Zen-Ray ED3 (1 Viewer)

xbted52

Well, after spending the past few months reading other peoples' opinions about binoculars, I took the oft cited advice of "You just have to try them yourself" and had a pair of Eden Quality XP 8x42 and a pair of Zen-Ray ED3 8x43 sent to me. I'm intending to compare them and write a completely meaningful and insightful review. The Edens arrived early this afternoon, after 2 days, as they only had to travel across Germany from the Netherlands; the Zen-Ray ED3s are coming from Lanius Books in Poland, and should be here shortly.

One thing I will mention right now, Eden Webshops and Zen-Ray live up to their reputations for customer service, both providing me with quick correspondence. And Lanius Books in Poland answered my inquiry about binoculars within a couple of hours and had a sample sent on the next business day.

I chose these two binoculars in particular because of their aperture, price, the good reviews I've seen on BirdForum as well as other sites, and because here in Europe, they are both only available online (unless, perhaps, one drives to Poland.) I can visit many of the outdoors shops in Berlin and see Vortex, Vanguard, Nikon, Swarovski, etc., but the two models I will be comparing have to be ordered.

I'm an amateur, and a good price versus performance ratio is necessary because I'm not a rich amateur. I'm not looking for alpha glass, but for the best that I can expect for the few bucks (euros, oops, I'm in Europe) I have to spend. My limit is really at around 500 euros or less, so the Eden Quality XP, at 279 euros, is at a very good price range for me right now.

The Zen-Ray ED3 8X43 is closer to the top of my price range, and that is why I'm looking at the ED3 rather than the Zen-Ray Prime at this time. We're not getting the pre-order discount here in Europe, so the Prime is over 700 euros before delivery (that's over 860 USD.) Unfortunately, with shipping, VAT and customs, ordering them from the US is nearly as expensive. By comparison, the ED3s are only 430 euros, which is on the correct side of my 500 euro limit; I wouldn't be able to order a pair of ED3 from the US for less.

I really want to see what I can get at a price that won't compel my wife to divorce me- and though there's a lot out there to choose from, one thing I haven't seen yet is a comparison between the ED3 and the XP. And as fate would have it, they are the two pairs I'm the most interested in.

Eden Quality XP 8X42 initial thoughts:

Focus:
After the ED3s arrive, I'll start doing the comparison. I've only had a very brief afternoon with the XP today, so I'm obviously going to spend a bit more time checking them out. But so far I feel like they're worth the money; they indeed feel solid, and in person they look so much nicer than on the internet. The focus is smooth and responsive with no slack at all, so it's almost like I only have to think about focusing and it's done.

Backpack Test
Also, I know it's not a scientific test, but the XP went into the backpack with my notebook and bird books and I walked for a few miles before pulling them out: the result is the lens covers stayed on tight, the IP distance didn't change, and the diopter adjustment stayed put (even though it doesn't lock) On my walk I saw a kestrel flying overhead, so I pulled the XP out of my bag, took off the lens covers, threw it up to my face and boom, Mr. Kestrel right there and no adjustment necessary.

Case:
The included case is nice, it's very well padded and the stitching is very nice and professional. It looks great, and if I ever used my binocular case, I'm sure it would work fantastically. I'm more of a 'people look at me weird because I wear binoculars when I walk to the grocery store' kind of guy, so maybe I'll try the bag out next time I travel just to have reviewed it.

Strap:
The strap is a lot nicer than those thin pieces of braided nylon poop you get with cheapie binoculars, you know, the ones that dig into your skin and give your neck gangrene. The XP's strap is very good at suspending the load, and provides some nice bounce. Maybe people like a wider strap, however, I think the width of the strap that's included in sufficient. It seems like it's made of a neoprene type material backed with grippy rubber, and if I had any complaint, it's that my neck sweats like a sumo master in a sauna when wearing it.

View:
So what about the view? Well, it's a heck of a lot nicer than any binocular that I've looked at without close store personnel supervision.

Does it have CA? Yes. It's purple on the right side, and green on the left, of objects viewed in very high contrast situations. The situation in particular where I witnessed it, I was looking at a black light post silhouetted against very bright white summery clouds.

However, I did not see the CA when looking at trees, when watching Mr. Kestrel fly over, or when looking at the yellow jackets flying into the corner of the next apartment building's roof, 60 feet away. I also looked over at the world's largest (or maybe it's the heaviest, or just the first; it has to be something because it's famous) shortwave antenna tower a few miles away, and the plethora of windmills around me- no CA. Power towers, no CA either.

So yes, at 60 feet away, I could see the yellow jackets building a nest under the eave of the roof, and I could see the yellow and black stripes on their abdomens. When I went to the field behind the apartment, I could observe the individual bees hovering over the flowers, from about 150 feet away. I couldn't identify the species, but they were bumble bee shaped.

Close Focus:
The close focus works great. I'm 6 feet tall, and I can focus on my feet. If I narrow the IP, I can focus even closer.

Sharpness
The field of view is nice and wide, and the view is pretty sharp. However, it does lose sharpness towards the edge, and there is some slight darkening at the edge. I would say at least the middle 70% is sharp, while 15% on each side is just out of focus. I'm not great at estimating, but I bet it's with 5% or so of my estimate. Maybe about the outermost 1% darkens, but it is most noticed horizontally. Nothing gets disturbingly out of focus, it's just not as sharp as the middle. However, and this may be because of my glasses, I can't really turn my eyes much without it blacking out. So, I'm pretty much committed to looking through the middle of the view anyway.

The view is really sharp in the 'sweet spot' in the middle. Really, like splitting hairs on a bee's butt sharp. Did I mention I really like watching bees? These are great for that. But really, it does have a sharp view. Is the view as sharp as an alpha glass? I don't know, I looked through a Swarovision binocular once for about 5 minutes in my life. Is it sharper than a 80 euro pair of Brauns? Oh, you bet.

Distortion:
Rolling ball effect- I didn't notice it. Pincushion distortion- not while looking at brick walls or picket fences. Barrel distortion- no, I didn't see any either. I did pick up on something when turning my head, but I don't know what it was. I might be that these actually have some field of view and I was just getting motion sick. As I said, I'm pretty new, but when I used my last binoculars and turned my head, it was like looking at a movie screen with a basketball moving behind it.

Asthetics:
Is it heavy? Not really. Well balanced? I didn't have an issue with it, and I could easily use it one handed. Did it smell good? Yes, I love that new toy smell. The user's manual is very classy too, and multilingual.

Oh, and then there's the glare, or flares, or whatever we call it. If the sun is in front of me, then there's nice white glare in the image. Not as bad as the Brauns, but it's there.

I'm going to take it out in the morning and see how it fares, and of course, test it over the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to the ED3 to get an idea of how these two compare.

Just one other little note, I do have a secret agenda on the side. I'm a science teacher, and I'd like to get my students out and looking at some birds and critters- thus the XP is going to go through a little torture this semester- I'm going to be testing it out by letting junior high and high school students use it in the field, and probably at home too. It's the ol' "Let's see if it comes back intact" test.

I hope I spelled everything correctly, and didn't use its and it's wrong. If anyone wants me to look for anything in particular during my comparison, let me know.

So here are links to the test subjects and vendors:
Eden Web Shops (Germany) I used the Germany branch, and they are super nice!: http://www.edenwebshops.de/
Lanius Books, Zen-Ray distributor for Europe. They are super nice also!:
http://en.lanius-books.com/en/sklepprodukt,lista,4,zen-ray-optics.html

Last edited:
Nicely written report. I've not tried the XP 8x42, but it appears to be very similar in character to the 10x42 I tried as you might expect. It will be interesting to see how it squares up against the Zen Ray. They sound quite different.

David

Thank you David. Your reviews were the catalyst that really had me thinking about the Edens in the first place. I'm really looking forward to spending more time with the 8X42s, as well as the Zen-Ray ED3s. I think what it comes down to me is not so much finding a binocular that is a stand-in for an Alpha, for from what I've read in the reviews there is no such beast; what I am looking for is a piece of equipment that makes me go "Wow" on a budget I can afford. I've purchased a few things in my life where I feel the quality has exceeded the price tag by a mile, and that is a fantastic feeling. It's much better than paying a fortune for something you later realize is trash, and I've done that too. (Like buying an Apple MacBook.)

Last edited:
Some pics
1. Julius says "Hey, it's a new box!"
2. Dad says "Yay, look what's inside!"
3. Out of the box
4. Lens covers off
5. View of the bottom: thumb indents and diopter adjustment- and you can see the binoculars are actually black, not grey.

Attachments

• binoship.jpg
    binoship.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 136
  • blackbox.jpg
    blackbox.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 154
  • bino3.jpg
    bino3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Bino1.jpg
    Bino1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 180
  • bino2.jpg
    bino2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Eden Quality 8X42 XP, day 2

Just some brief notes from today.

I went on a little 8 mile hike today with my family, and had the Eden binoculars around my neck the whole time. Between the strap and the weight, I didn't really notice them hanging there.

It was a very bright and sunny day today, and extremely warm. Lots of bees and butterflies out flying around, and once again I used the binoculars a lot to look at little critters- these binoculars are great for getting up close to subjects, I really like the close focus a lot. Looking out over fields and the river, the image was very bright and sharp. Easy to keep the whole group of swallows in focus- nice field depth.

It was warm, I was sweaty, and the rubber coating was very nice a easy to keep a grip on- not slippery at all.

Watched a white Cessna fly about 500 feet above us (doesn't count on my bird checklist though.) I could read the numbers on the fuselage, and didn't detect any CA, even though the sky was blue.

Tried out the case last night- the binoculars fit in there well and snug, however, I wouldn't be able to put them in there with the eye cups extended. But I wear glasses, so this is not an issue.

The focus is very fast, very smooth, and it does offer up a decent amount of resistance. This isn't a bad thing for me, as I've tried out some other binoculars with loose focus wheels and it was impossible to fine focus. I can focus holding the binoculars with one hand.

Also tonight, I got a pretty good view of the Andromeda Galaxy, M31 as well as Uranus. Stars are pin sharp.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that Deutsche Post is taking it's sweet time this week, so I'm experiencing a brief delay in receiving the Zen-Rays. I'll post some more once I can make a comparison.

The Zen-Rays arrived a little while ago. I went outside for a while, and there just happened to be 5 European buzzards and a black kite just hanging out around the field behind my apartment. I got to watch them for a good while as they preened, soared and swooped. I've begun making some initial comparisons between the Zen-Rays and the Edens, so I should have a report soon.

I may have jumped the gun in starting this thread so early, since the Zen-Rays are just now getting here, but I'm looking forward to doing this review and comparison.

Thanks again to edenwebshop.de(www.edenwebshops.de) for the Eden Quality XP 8x42, and to Lanius Books (http://en.lanius-books.com/en/sklepprodukt,lista,4,zen-ray-optics.html) for the Zen-Ray ED3 to try out.

Last edited:
Initial impressions of the Zen-Ray ED3 8X43

Deutsche Post took a little bit of time to deliver these from Poland, but it was worth the wait. The day they arrived was cool, partly sunny and beautiful outside, so it made a perfect opportunity to head out and take a look. Luckily for me, the farm field behind me was being tilled, so it was a complete hawk fest! There were kestrels, buzzards, kites, plus all the visiting swifts, ring neck doves, etc... so lots of viewing.

The binoculars came from Lanius Books in Poland; they have trial pairs of binoculars for people to try out, and they sent me a pair immediately when I requested them. They arrived, and I have to say, the package could have survived being dropped into the ocean.

Quality

These are covered in a smooth green rubber, almost vinyl like, green armor. It has some grippy patterns on the sides, big thumb indents, and it looks really high class. My wife saw them and said "Oooh, those look nice," and she's definitely not a binocular fan. The ED3 feels rock solid in the hand. They are reminiscent to me of a piece of military gear, just the color and build I guess, but right off the bat they just seem extremely well built. They are quite a bit larger than the Edens, and I find that they fit my big hand very well. The balance is great!

A slight disappointment is that while Zen-Ray binoculars sold in America have a lifetime warranty, the same binoculars purchased through the European vendor only have a 5 year warranty. However, Zen-Ray does ship directly to European customers, and one does receive the lifetime US warranty if buying directly from America. So, if I expect to keep these well longer than 5 years, ordering from America may make sense- however, in the short run, the postage to Poland for repairs are a lot less.

Focus
Focusing is oh so smooth, with just a tiny amount of play in the knob. They focus fast, but not too fast, and it's extremely easy to fine focus. The knob is huge with the grippy pattern on it and very easy to use holding the binoculars one handed. There are two places to attach a tripod, covered with metal screws.

The diopter doesn't lock, but it does click. Honestly, it's a bit stiff to me, but it's not going to move in the field. The outside of the ring is rubber with a grippy pattern, but it's rather narrow; so it's extremely easy to use with the eye cups full extended, not as easy with the eye cups all the way down. The thing is, I've set it once and I haven't had to think about it since.

Eyecup, IP distance
The eyecups have an all the way down setting, all the way up, and one in between. They twist up with some smooth resistance, and I haven't knocked them out of whack in the field. I use them in the all the way down position, and design does indeed allow my glasses to get quite close to eyepiece lens. The eye relief is 16.8 mm, and more than enough for my glasses.

It's easy to adjust the IP distance, the resistance is appropriate, and the hinge has a nice, smooth action. It's very easy to set it to the perfect IP distance.

Accessories
The strap is that neoprene material with the rubber grippy stuff on the back. It's curved. It works like you'd expect, and allows me to carry the binoculars for miles without noticing them. The binoculars weigh 27 ounces? Perhaps it's the size versus the weight that makes them appear to weigh much less.

The case is really cool- it's a hard case with an embossed Zen-Ray logo. Very distinctive compared to a world of cordura cases.

The lens covers are nice, and the ones on the objective side have a ZR logo embossed on them. They are soft rubber and stay on the binoculars.

The doorbell rang, I got the binoculars from the delivery guy, and 10 minutes later I was outside. I didn't go back inside for 2 hours. I'll be honest- the ED3s blew away any expectations I had. I watched the hawks and could see the patterns on the bottoms of their wings, I could see the shine of the sun on their primary feathers, I could pick out which tail feathers were broken, and they were probably 200-300 feet up. The birds looked great. But then I spent a lot of time looking at the wind mills, and reading the road sign at the intersection a mile away. Mundane things became very fascinating, mundane things such as the lichens growing on the roof tiles of the building across from me. I've read about this 'WOW' feeling that you get sometimes, when you feel like you're there. These ED3s have them.

The image in the binoculars are very bright and very sharp. Looking at the windmills, I could see details that I've never made out before. The view is very clear too, without some of that softening and fogginess I've seen in other binoculars. It was very, very easy to focus and to fine focus. The field depth was great, and encompassed everything from 30 meters out to infinity. I really like the wide field of view- the stats say 426 feet at 1000 yards. It's wide, when I put the binoculars up to my face, the view takes up most of, well, the view. What I mean is that there isn't a lot of black border- there's a lot to see when I look through them. Also, the edges of the view aren't very blurry, and though there is some out of sharpness outside of that center 'sweet-spot' it isn't very noticeable. So the effect is a very wide, very clear and very bright image without any annoying what I like to call, 'looks like someone smeared Crisco on the edges of my glasses' blurriness on the periphery.

I would say that with my glasses on, the really sharp is the middle 80-85%, and the rest is only slightly off focus. I don't detect a lot of darkening at the edges, especially with my glasses on.

As far as color bias, I'm not exactly sure as I don't have anything known to be neutral to compare it with; but I would consider them on the cool side. The Edens were much more yellow compared to the Zen-Rays.

Very flat view, really really flat. And I can't seem to find any pincushion or barrel distortion. Maybe after I look through these for several days I'll find a flaw.

The sharpness, and the clarity, seems very good. I can really pick out the individual spots of lichen across the way, and see details of flowers that I couldn't see before at a distance. These are very bright binoculars compared to other binoculars I have used.

Up close, well, the close focus is at or a little past 6 feet. These are much better suited at looking at birds than bugs.

CA- so far I've only been able to barely detect it at all, looking through the very edge of the view, at a dark and skinny tree trunk against a piece of white cloth. And really, it's just barely a slight hint of blue and red on the periphery of the trunk. As in, only reproducible under laboratory conditions hard to find.

Conclusion of Initial Impression
So, do I like them. Yes. A lot? Yes.

With many binoculars that I've tried before, it seems like it's a struggle to keep them focused, or keep them positioned correctly on my face, because of my glasses. There are a few pairs that I've tried where I'm constantly messing with the diopter adjustment or the IP distance, trying to get the perfect view. It was almost like I was fighting those other binoculars, when what I really wanted was just a nice view of a bird. The Zen-Ray ED3s are not a pair of binoculars that I have to fight! Within 1 minute, I had the diopter just right, the IP distance right, and I haven't had to touch them since. Even as I focus from up close to infinity, I don't have to adjust anything.

I can just throw the Zen-Rays up to my face, and I get a super clear and super bright image. I'm not sure what else I could ask for , and I'm afraid to go look at an Alpha again to find out. These seem pretty awesome to me, and honestly, the ED3 isn't a product that makes me feel that I'm trying to make due with less.

Of course I'm going to be testing these out for a bit more time, and perhaps my opinions will change within the next few weeks. So far I really like these binoculars, a lot.

Lanius Books- http://en.lanius-books.com/en/sklepprodukt,lista,4,zen-ray-optics.html

Zen-Ray Binoculars-http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/

Attachments

• zr1.jpg
    zr1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 166
  • zr2.jpg
    zr2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 110
  • zr3.jpg
    zr3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 191
  • zr4.jpg
    zr4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 157
  • zr5.jpg
    zr5.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Thanks Frank. I've started writing my comparison, but I'm doing it using Word so I don't keep going back and editing posts that I've already written. It may take a day or two- I'd really like to get out tomorrow and try them some more side by side.

There are a few things that I can comfortably say for sure-
1. The Edens are a quite a bit smaller and 4 ounces lighter.
1.5 The Edens have a 25 year warranty
2. The Edens have more yellow bias to the image.
3. The Edens can focus down much closer than the Zen-Rays, and are therefore useful for up close observations.
4. The Zen-Rays have less CA than the Edens, though the Edens don't exhibit very much at all.
4.5. The Zen-Rays only have a 5 year warranty (when bought in Europe.)
5. The Zen-Rays have much less glare than the Edens. I hate the glare in the Edens.
6. The Zen-Rays appear to have a brighter and sharper image than the Edens when viewing very distant objects, but the difference becomes more negligible when viewing close objects, such as in birding range.
7. The Zen-Rays have a wider field of view.
8. The sweet spot of both binoculars seem fairly similar in size.
9. The quality of both binoculars is very decent.
10. The customer service of both companies is outstanding.

I will have a more detailed review with charts and everything later this weekend. I guess the one thing is that I'm very surprised at how good the Zen-Rays are- I mean most of the reviews I've read are very complimentary, but seeing them for myself, well, they are impressive.

The Edens performed closer to what I expected at the price range- solid build, good imaging, very capable at bird watching ranges and up close. Absolutely fantastic when it's bright and sunny outside, except for the glare. I'll be honest, if it weren't for the glare, the Edens would be about 98% of the Zen-Rays. I'm not sure if it's the particular pair I have, or my glasses, but I hate the glare. The Zen-Rays don't have the glare, even with my glasses.

I'll say it now before posting my official comparison-the Edens are pretty darn sharp and bright. And like anything else, if you want to spend more money, you can get better performance- the Zen-Rays clearly outperform the Edens in image quality, for 160 euros more. Even though we're talking under 500 euros, that's still about 60% more in price than the Edens. So people are wondering, is it 60% better? None of the individual factors, besides the lack of glare, is 60% better on the Zen-Rays than the Edens, in my opinion.

But really, think to yourselves, 60% is quite an amount. It's the difference between a $40,000 a year job and a $64,000 a year job. In the alpha glass, people are talking about spending hundreds of dollars for 2 or 3 percent better. Here, I'm talking about spending hundreds of dollars, period. I do think that the Zen-Rays are brighter, have a pleasing field of view, a lack of glare and are a bit sharper; overall the aesthetic of the view comes from a combination of all the individual factors. I don't know if it's 60% better, but I do know it's better.

Well, I'm going to write my official comparison, but I think people got the gist of it. If you're thinking about the Edens, go for it- they are great, except for the glare. If you have the money, go for the Zen-Rays, they are really great!

Last edited:
Initial impressions of the Zen-Ray ED3 8X43

Deutsche Post took a little bit of time to deliver these from Poland, but it was worth the wait. The day they arrived was cool, partly sunny and beautiful outside, so it made a perfect opportunity to head out and take a look. Luckily for me, the farm field behind me was being tilled, so it was a complete hawk fest! There were kestrels, buzzards, kites, plus all the visiting swifts, ring neck doves, etc... so lots of viewing.

The binoculars came from Lanius Books in Poland; they have trial pairs of binoculars for people to try out, and they sent me a pair immediately when I requested them. They arrived, and I have to say, the package could have survived being dropped into the ocean.

Quality

These are covered in a smooth green rubber, almost vinyl like, green armor. It has some grippy patterns on the sides, big thumb indents, and it looks really high class. My wife saw them and said "Oooh, those look nice," and she's definitely not a binocular fan. The ED3 feels rock solid in the hand. They are reminiscent to me of a piece of military gear, just the color and build I guess, but right off the bat they just seem extremely well built. They are quite a bit larger than the Edens, and I find that they fit my big hand very well. The balance is great!

A slight disappointment is that while Zen-Ray binoculars sold in America have a lifetime warranty, the same binoculars purchased through the European vendor only have a 5 year warranty. However, Zen-Ray does ship directly to European customers, and one does receive the lifetime US warranty if buying directly from America. So, if I expect to keep these well longer than 5 years, ordering from America may make sense- however, in the short run, the postage to Poland for repairs are a lot less.

Focus
Focusing is oh so smooth, with just a tiny amount of play in the knob. They focus fast, but not too fast, and it's extremely easy to fine focus. The knob is huge with the grippy pattern on it and very easy to use holding the binoculars one handed. There are two places to attach a tripod, covered with metal screws.

The diopter doesn't lock, but it does click. Honestly, it's a bit stiff to me, but it's not going to move in the field. The outside of the ring is rubber with a grippy pattern, but it's rather narrow; so it's extremely easy to use with the eye cups full extended, not as easy with the eye cups all the way down. The thing is, I've set it once and I haven't had to think about it since.

Eyecup, IP distance
The eyecups have an all the way down setting, all the way up, and one in between. They twist up with some smooth resistance, and I haven't knocked them out of whack in the field. I use them in the all the way down position, and design does indeed allow my glasses to get quite close to eyepiece lens. The eye relief is 16.8 mm, and more than enough for my glasses.

It's easy to adjust the IP distance, the resistance is appropriate, and the hinge has a nice, smooth action. It's very easy to set it to the perfect IP distance.

Accessories
The strap is that neoprene material with the rubber grippy stuff on the back. It's curved. It works like you'd expect, and allows me to carry the binoculars for miles without noticing them. The binoculars weigh 27 ounces? Perhaps it's the size versus the weight that makes them appear to weigh much less.

The case is really cool- it's a hard case with an embossed Zen-Ray logo. Very distinctive compared to a world of cordura cases.

The lens covers are nice, and the ones on the objective side have a ZR logo embossed on them. They are soft rubber and stay on the binoculars.

The doorbell rang, I got the binoculars from the delivery guy, and 10 minutes later I was outside. I didn't go back inside for 2 hours. I'll be honest- the ED3s blew away any expectations I had. I watched the hawks and could see the patterns on the bottoms of their wings, I could see the shine of the sun on their primary feathers, I could pick out which tail feathers were broken, and they were probably 200-300 feet up. The birds looked great. But then I spent a lot of time looking at the wind mills, and reading the road sign at the intersection a mile away. Mundane things became very fascinating, mundane things such as the lichens growing on the roof tiles of the building across from me. I've read about this 'WOW' feeling that you get sometimes, when you feel like you're there. These ED3s have them.

The image in the binoculars are very bright and very sharp. Looking at the windmills, I could see details that I've never made out before. The view is very clear too, without some of that softening and fogginess I've seen in other binoculars. It was very, very easy to focus and to fine focus. The field depth was great, and encompassed everything from 30 meters out to infinity. I really like the wide field of view- the stats say 426 feet at 1000 yards. It's wide, when I put the binoculars up to my face, the view takes up most of, well, the view. What I mean is that there isn't a lot of black border- there's a lot to see when I look through them. Also, the edges of the view aren't very blurry, and though there is some out of sharpness outside of that center 'sweet-spot' it isn't very noticeable. So the effect is a very wide, very clear and very bright image without any annoying what I like to call, 'looks like someone smeared Crisco on the edges of my glasses' blurriness on the periphery.

I would say that with my glasses on, the really sharp is the middle 80-85%, and the rest is only slightly off focus. I don't detect a lot of darkening at the edges, especially with my glasses on.

As far as color bias, I'm not exactly sure as I don't have anything known to be neutral to compare it with; but I would consider them on the cool side. The Edens were much more yellow compared to the Zen-Rays.

Very flat view, really really flat. And I can't seem to find any pincushion or barrel distortion. Maybe after I look through these for several days I'll find a flaw.

The sharpness, and the clarity, seems very good. I can really pick out the individual spots of lichen across the way, and see details of flowers that I couldn't see before at a distance. These are very bright binoculars compared to other binoculars I have used.

Up close, well, the close focus is at or a little past 6 feet. These are much better suited at looking at birds than bugs.

CA- so far I've only been able to barely detect it at all, looking through the very edge of the view, at a dark and skinny tree trunk against a piece of white cloth. And really, it's just barely a slight hint of blue and red on the periphery of the trunk. As in, only reproducible under laboratory conditions hard to find.

Conclusion of Initial Impression
So, do I like them. Yes. A lot? Yes.

With many binoculars that I've tried before, it seems like it's a struggle to keep them focused, or keep them positioned correctly on my face, because of my glasses. There are a few pairs that I've tried where I'm constantly messing with the diopter adjustment or the IP distance, trying to get the perfect view. It was almost like I was fighting those other binoculars, when what I really wanted was just a nice view of a bird. The Zen-Ray ED3s are not a pair of binoculars that I have to fight! Within 1 minute, I had the diopter just right, the IP distance right, and I haven't had to touch them since. Even as I focus from up close to infinity, I don't have to adjust anything.

I can just throw the Zen-Rays up to my face, and I get a super clear and super bright image. I'm not sure what else I could ask for , and I'm afraid to go look at an Alpha again to find out. These seem pretty awesome to me, and honestly, the ED3 isn't a product that makes me feel that I'm trying to make due with less.

Of course I'm going to be testing these out for a bit more time, and perhaps my opinions will change within the next few weeks. So far I really like these binoculars, a lot.

Lanius Books- http://en.lanius-books.com/en/sklepprodukt,lista,4,zen-ray-optics.html

Very nice review!! Reminiscent of my first experience of the ED3's. Great bin!

Today, for test #1, I compared resolution during daylight. I used the USAF 1951 chart and another chart that was completely useless for my test (which shall be disregarded), by taping them to the electrical box across the street from my apartment complex. I then looked at the charts with the Eden and Zen-Ray binoculars. I tried holding them in my hands, as well as bracing them on the railing around my balcony while I was sitting down.

Here's the chart I used
powertest.jpg

View from my balcony
test1.jpg

Zoomed in

test 2.jpg

So, my results here are for resolution only. The distance is approximately 36 meters (118 feet), taking elevation into account. The target is due south of my balcony. The USAF target is the size of a 4x6 photograph.

Actually, since this is a non-standard test, the exact results aren't going to mean much per se, meaning I'm not calculating the real resolution- however it does provide a baseline for comparison.

Day Test
Stabilized:
In bright sunlight, with both binoculars, I could resolve the lines in column 0, #1.
In cloudier conditions, with both binoculars I could resolve the lines in Column -1, #6.

Hand held:
Both binoculars, I resolved column -1, #6, in sun and cloudy conditions.

So in daylight, (and I performed these tests several times throughout the day, so the neighbors think I'm some sort of peeping Tom freak,) the ability of these two binoculars to let me resolve an image 36 meters away was so similar that I could not tell a difference.

However... The Zen-Ray was easier to fine tune the focus and get a good image. The Edens required a little more finesse. But in the end, I could not get either binocular to out resolve the other.

I will try this test out in the twilight and evening hours...

I tested the binoculars between 7:40 and 7:55 p.m., it's partly cloudy and the sun is not out- it's pretty much twilight.

*I have removed my data because I am planning to test this some more. I will publish the data once all of my results are recorded and my tests are finished.*

Last edited:
Ted,

Thanks for the well written, detailed comparison.

When I reviewed the Edens I had the Nikon Monarch in mind as the most obvious competitor at the price point. I'd note the Nikon's weaknesses as veiling glare, CA and narrow field of view. At least on the 10x42 Edens I tried, the CA and FOV were quite a bit better. The pattern of the glare on the Edens was different to the Monarchs, but manageable by repositioning the eyes. The colour rendition I thought better than the MKII monarchs, but though perhaps not as neutral as the MkIII but there was a vibrancy to the colour rendition I rather enjoyed. So far I'd give the Edens a clear advantage over the Monarchs.

I'd spotted a difference in 'sharpness' between bright and dim conditions. Not the 40% difference you found on the 8x, but noticeable all the same. I also checked it thoroughly with boosted resolution testing at different apertures. Though I noted it in my review, I confess, I presumed my sample was a little sub-standard as other reports from experienced reviewers had not mentioned it. Of course, how noticeable depends on your eyesight and the comparisons made. Most users seem very content. Can't be sure if this is a general issue or a bit sample variation.

I should point out that the 10x56 did not have this problem and was optically better overall. It's now my 'low light' pair.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
More photos
View attachment 401351

View attachment 401353

Eden Quality XP 8x42 and Zen-Ray ED3 8x43 side by side
View attachment 401355

Eden Quality XP 8x42 and Zen-Ray ED3 8x43 side by side
View attachment 401358

Julius approves of the case :t:
View attachment 401359

Eden Webshops- http://www.edenwebpshops.de

xbted52, I really enjoyed your in-depth review and comparison. Thank you.

For other readers, just as a disclaimer, the ZEN ED3 case DOES NOT ship with a good looking boy like Julius. Please read the accessories tab carefully when you place the order. :)

Charles

I've been pretty busy the past few days trying to get everything ready for, and starting, the new school year. In the mean time, I have been looking through the Zen-Rays, as well as the Edens, and trying to formulate a conclusion that expresses my honest point of view. This is pretty difficult, as every time I sit down and write something I have this nagging feeling that I will somehow belittle both pairs, and I don't want to do that. I have really grown fond of both pairs of binoculars over the past couple of weeks, and their respective companies. I've corresponded with both companies, and the fact that Zen-Ray and Eden both have taken the time to communicate extensively with me, just some random guy with a computer who wanted to try some inexpensive binoculars... well, I think they would do the same for everyone.

Let's be honest, I'm not reviewing alpha binoculars, and that was neither my intent nor are the alphas my standards. Neither of the pairs are perfect, but I really liked both of them. However, compared to each other, there are some features that I like one pair better than the other, and vice versa. So is the case with binoculars and (redacted under the scornful eye of wife.)

As so many people here say, you really have to try the binoculars out for yourself before you buy them, and that is what I've done in this case. And I would pass this advice on to anyone else- try them out! Zen-Ray and Eden both have generous opportunities to try their products.

Okay, so how about a conclusion
Eden Quality XP 8x42- 270 Euros at Eden Web Shop in Europe
Zen-Ray ED3 8x430- 439 Euros at Lanius Books in Europe

Quality

With regards to the quality of the binoculars, I think that both are really quite nice. They both have rubber armor, have smooth focusing with just a itty bitty bit of play in the focus knob. They both have nicely adjusting eyecups, and smooth hinges for adjusting IP distance.

The Zen-Ray ED3 armor is green and smooth with a texture pattern. The Eden XP armor is black and generally non-slip. As I mentioned earlier, the Zen-Ray reminds me of military-grade equipment with the smooth green.

I have found that in the backpack, the lens covers don't come off the Edens, and sometime come off the Zen-Rays.

The straps are pretty comparable, but the Zen-Ray strap is curved a bit. Both are fairly comfortable.

Both binoculars were very comfortable in my hands, and easy to use and focus one-handed. The Zen-Rays are a bit longer than the Edens. Actually, the Edens seem very compact. Both binoculars are sturdy and feel like they could survive being trampled.

The Eden's case is a bit small for the binoculars, and you will not be able to store the binoculars with the eyecups extended.

The Zen-Ray's case is molded plastic, and will fit the binoculars and strap.

As far as waterproofing and temperatures are concerned- you all are on your own. If you want to dunk 'em, go for it. They're covered by a warranty.

The Eden Quality XP 8x42 has a 25 year warranty
The Zen-Ray ED3 has a 5 year warranty if purchased in the EU, lifetime if purchased in the USA.

View

I have been using both binoculars extensively for a few weeks now, and I think I'm comfortable posting some opinions.

1. The Zen-Rays present a brighter image, that seems cooler than the Edens. At times, the warmer image of the Edens seem more natural and neutral, especially in the evening.

2. The Zen-Rays present a little sharper image. When I was conducting the resolution test, the lines and numbers were sharply in focus using the Zen-Rays. Although in bright sunlight I could resolve the same fineness of lines between both sets of binoculars, the lines and figures themselves were more sharp and in better focus in the Zen-Rays.

3. In the evening, I was able to resolve finer details later after sunset using the Zen-Rays than the Edens. I have conducted the same test over several evenings, and the level of detail that my eyes could resolve decreased with the Edens before the Zen-Rays. Also in the evenings, the edges of the Edens would darken, further restricting the field of view. However, one must remember that both pair of binoculars have around 42mm of aperture- this is not what people typically use in low-light situations. However, I think this is pretty indicative of the kind of performance difference one might see walking into the woods- and from experience, performance did suffer in the woods.

4. The Edens were able to close focus to about 3 feet. I was able to watch bees and spiders up close in the weeds next to the sidewalk. This was extremely impressive, as I was able to look at jumping spiders looking at me. It was like having a microscope in the field with me- I could identify bees to species using these binoculars! Up close the Edens are absolutely amazing. No, really, if you've never tried looking at bugs up close, try it out.

The Zens could close focus at about 7 feet, and this seems more than adequate for birdwatching. But you're not going to see bugs eating each other up close; if you're more into watching raptors, then I think you'll be okay.

5. The Zen-Rays have a really huge view that almost fills the eyepiece, the field of view is also wider than the Edens. However, the field of view and apparent view in the Edens are not bad- they have a little bit more border. The Zen's view reminded me very much of my wide FOV Tele-Vue eyepiece, it was very big!

6. The Zen-Rays show more darkening towards the edge than the Edens. Both binoculars have a sweet spot that is in my estimate extends to between 75-85% from the center.

7. CA- Edens have got it (sort of), the Zens don't (unless you really, really, really try)

8. Glare- the Edens have a lot more glare than the Zens. No really, if there was one thing that I could fault the Edens on, it is the glare. But this may just be an issue for me, or the particular pair I have, as I don't see many people commenting on this.

Overall, the Zen-Ray ED3s provided a view that was slightly sharper and brighter. The It also seemed to have a more inclusive field of view that encompassed everything from about 30 meters to infinity without having to refocus. It was more cool, meaning that it seemed to be more blue. Wider field of view, and wider apparent field helped to create an addictive view.

Up close, the Edens excelled, and there is no question. They were the equal of the Zens from 5 to 100 meters (for us American, let's say 5 to 100 yards.) But once I started to looking at hawks across the farm field, or looking at windmills half a mile away, the difference was very clear. At a distance, the sharpness and clarity of the Edens were less than the Zens. I was looking at Red-Kites flying well overhead, and could see details with the Zen-Rays that I couldn't with the Zens. However- I could still easily identify the birds with the Edens

Ok, so here's the tricky part. Which is better?

Well, if you want an awesome view at under 500 euros, then the Zen-Rays are definitely a consideration. There's a reason why people are crazy about them- I am. I'm going to try the Primes next. In addition, my son Julius gives an enthusiastic approval of the included binocular case, or should I say 'treasure bag.' But honestly, a toddler can break nearly anything, yet the case is still intact! That's some high quality stuff!

If you want a pair of binoculars that will are pretty awesome, are going to give you a decent view for bargain basement prices, and have an unbeatable up-close ability, then the Edens would be worth your consideration. There's a reason for the good press that these binoculars receive. In addition, a 25 year warranty is pretty excellent for a pair of binoculars under 300 euros.

Next on my list- Eden XP 8X56 versus these two.

Last edited:
Great review Ted!:t: Awesome;) The ZenRay looks huge next to the Eden. Nice to include your boy Julius.

Welcome to BirdForum!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back