Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:07   #1
tomjenner
Forum Member

What is this pale sandy coloured warbler netted in Sudan?

I caught this bird yesterday while mist-netting weavers in Sennar, about 250km south of Khartoum in Sudan. It was in heavy moult, which has made the identification more difficult, especially as all the tail feathers were growing back, making it difficult to know if it is a long-tailed bird, like a prinia or apalis, or a short tailed bird like a cisticola.
The bird appears to have a yellow gape flange, suggesting that it is a young bird. The short tail also suggests this. However, it was also undergoing wing moult, so it could hardly be a bird that has just left the nest. I am assuming it is a first year bird undergoing a complete post-juvenile moult, which is apparently quite common in desert species due to the heavy abrasion due to dust and thorny branches.
The bird that first sprang to mind was a juvenile Red-fronted Warbler, but it seems to be more of a pale sandy coloration than photos on the internet. However it does seems to be growing dark tail feathers with white tips, and it does seem to have a slightly warmer forehead. other possibilities could be Red-pate Cisticola, Red-faced Cisticola, or even Buff-bellied Warbler. All of these species are possible at the netting location, which was in an open area with low acacia scrub beside an irrigation ditch in an agricultural region where they were mainly growing sorghum.
I have limited experience with three of these species but I have never seen a Red-fronted Warbler, nor any of them in the hand. So I am hoping someone can help. I have more photos if needed.
Any comments appreciated.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	471188  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	471189  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	471190  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	471191  
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:14   #2
James Lowther

i'm way out of my depth here, but any chance it is an african desert warbler??
just looks like a sylvia to me

http://blackaudibirding.blogspot.co....-27-march.html

cheers,
James
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 18:29   #3
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

I'd agree, looks like a juv African Desert Warbler.

Last edited by rockfowl : Sunday 3rd November 2013 at 20:35. Reason: new images
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 19:11   #4
tomjenner
Forum Member

I agree that the general coloration of this bird suggests a Desert Warbler, but the tail is not right. There is no warmth to the central tail feathers or rump. The central tail feathers, at least what can be seen of them, appear to be dark with a white tip.
This would also be quite a large range expansion for African Desert Warbler and probably a bit out of its normal habitat, at least for a juvenile. Asian Desert Warbler is seen in Sudan, but all records are from the drier areas in the north of the country, plus I would not expect to see a bird as young-looking as this on its wintering grounds, though I am only guessing this.
This bird had a wing length of 57 mm. My relatively old copy of Svensson (1992) gives 52 to 61 mm for African and 58 to 62 for Asian Desert Warbler. I have added a few extra photos in case they help.
Any additional comments welcome.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	471202  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 7.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	471203  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	471204  Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbler Sennar 9.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	471206  
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 20:14   #5
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Undertail pattern looks good for Red-fronted, although a different ssp, perhaps Valery et.al could add, being more familiar.
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 21:04   #6
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfowl View Post
Undertail pattern looks good for Red-fronted, although a different ssp, perhaps Valery et.al could add, being more familiar.
Shouldn't the undertail be longer and blacker, Mark?
MJB
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 21:15   #7
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

Hi Tom, it looks a Sylvia warbler to me. A female Menetries's is what looks best to me.

Edit: a similar looking October bird added:

http://www.israbirding.com/israelbir.../image1017.jpg

http://www.israbirding.com/israelbir.../image1015.jpg

Last edited by Motmot : Sunday 3rd November 2013 at 21:39.
Old Sunday 3rd November 2013, 21:35   #8
kahraba
Q. Dubost

I agree with Motmot, the dark primaries and tail, the bill, the lack of white around the eye and the dark iris : menetries's rather than african desert Warbler for me.
Old Monday 4th November 2013, 04:38   #9
tomjenner
Forum Member

Menetries makes a lot of sense. This website shows birds with similar characteristics, including the warmer forehead and the open wing shot also matches my bird (http://eilatbirding.blogspot.com/201...menetries.html). Presumably it lost its tail and is not quite as young as it looks.
Thanks for all the comments.

Tom

Last edited by tomjenner : Monday 4th November 2013 at 04:47. Reason: To add a bit
Old Monday 4th November 2013, 05:42   #10
Valéry Schollaert
All naturalists should turn vegan

Agree on Menetries' W. Sorry for delay I was in the field. Just back now.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: