• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (28 Viewers)

I was within inches of ordering the Zeiss SF 8x42 until I read all the negative comments on them from the first owners. I decided to wait and see if this binocular is really an incremental improvement over the current alpha's especially the present King the Swarovski 8x32 SV. The eyecups stick and the objective covers are the wrong size. C'mon this is a $2500 binocular. The dealer I was going to order it from who is quite knowledgeable in optics says he prefers the Swarovision after comparing them to the new Zeiss SF because the Swaro has better edges and way better color saturation which to me are very important characteristics of a binocular. So right now I will wait until we get some good reviews from knowledgeable Bird Forum members.

Last edited:
I was within inches of ordering the Zeiss SF 8x32
That sounds like a line from "back to the future"....Any guess when that will become present? Some suggest 2016 some 2018. I have asked Zeiss and was told that "they are strictly forbidden to disclose etc"

That ain't much. 24 feet of FOV? Balance? Grip? That ain't worth $2500. I want "Blow me Away Optics" put the Swaro SV on Ebay for $2.5K!!!!!

Dennis

You get 'blow you away optics', and the FOV (24 feet extra is not nothing, and it takes 'blow you away optics' to deliver extra wide fields of view). It also takes 'blow you away optics' to shift the glass around in order to give the balance and feeling of lightweight too.

I'm not trying to tell you what is right for you, what I am saying is there is more to optics than the usual headlines of 'sharp or bright or edges' and a connoiseur like yourself would appreciate them.

Lee

It also amuses me how people have to have the latest goodies, instead of waiting six months or a year till the item is sorted.
Children maybe can't wait, but adults?

I normally wait till things are half price, unless it is something exceptional that I will really use. And I still wait six months.

It also amuses me how people have to have the latest goodies, instead of waiting six months or a year till the item is sorted.
Children maybe can't wait, but adults?

I normally wait till things are half price, unless it is something exceptional that I will really use. And I still wait six months.
I think I will wait on the Zeiss 8x42 SF until we at least get a few reviews and Zeiss get's the objective covers and the eyecups sorted out. I am kinda kidish too in that I can't wait for something. So I may buy and return if I don't like them.

Like others on this thread I cannot see any reason for "upgrading" from SV x32 to SF x42; in fact if I weigh ....the weight in there are clear reasons not to.
SF x32 might though be a different story, but nobody seems to know when it will be out. I fact I am wondering: if SF x32 was available now, how many would still buy the x42? Zeiss will likely delay the launch of the x32 till the sale of the x42 will reach a low point.

Would you say the same if your SV had 24 feet less fov ?

Your question to Dennis in regards to his following comment ....

That ain't much. 24 feet of FOV? Balance? Grip? That ain't worth $2500. I want "Blow me Away Optics" put the Swaro SV on Ebay for $2.5K!!!!!

Since you asked what he would say, here is his comment from 1/17/2015 in the 32mmm vs 42mm thread ......

......... When you are use to 420 feet it is hard to give up that 31 feet. I would imagine the bigger FOV of the Zeiss 8x42 SF versus my Swarovski 8x32 SV would be the biggest benefit of buying the Zeiss. A 25 foot larger FOV is a pretty big difference.

You can always depend on Dennis posts to be consistently inconsistent.

Your question to Dennis in regards to his following comment ....

Since you asked what he would say, here is his comment from 1/17/2015 in the 32mmm vs 42mm thread ......

You can always depend on Dennis posts to be consistently inconsistent.

Bruce:

Bullseye:-O :king: :t: :smoke:

Lee

Zeiss must know the 42 mm sells better than the 32, no matter the line-up, as we see with the HT's, SF's and Terra's.

If there was a rush on 32's, I'm sure Zeiss would have them out there 1st or at least concurrent with the 42's.

James: I don't dispute what you're saying, but I am just wondering: why most, if not all, brands launch the x42 models before the x32? It looks to me that they're thinking that people wouldn't buy the x42 if they were offered the choice. If you were them would you launch (what you expect to be) the more successful model first? I wouldn't, but I might be mistaken..... //Peter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back