• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (17 Viewers)

In sales it's 70% 42 and 30% 32.
When the SV 50 came out, a lot of people traded their 42 for the 50.
Weight is for a lot of people less important than view. Don't forget; a 10x32 is 3.2 and a 10x50 is a 5.0 exit pupil!!
The 50 is currently a few years on the market and sales between 42 and 50 are the same. 32 is still far behind them.

Jan

In sales it's 70% 42 and 30% 32.
When the SV 50 came out, a lot of people traded their 42 for the 50.
Weight is for a lot of people less important than view. Don't forget; a 10x32 is 3.2 and a 10x50 is a 5.0 exit pupil!!
The 50 is currently a few years on the market and sales between 42 and 50 are the same. 32 is still far behind them.

Jan

interesting,

what is the proportion between 8x and 10x?

the 50mm swaros are marketed pretty eagerly here in Sweden…
after the SF was announced…

but really, wouldn't most people manage with a 8x32 swaro??
I think it's all about marketing…
o:):smoke:

Zeiss must know the 42 mm sells better than the 32, no matter the line-up, as we see with the HT's, SF's and Terra's.

Not just Zeiss. No matter who you talk to, everyone tells you the sales of the larger models (42mm, 50mm) outnumber the sales of the smaller models (32mm) by at least 3 to 1.

Hermann

but really, wouldn't most people manage with a 8x32 ??

I thought the same; and also that the sales for x32s lag behind those for x42s because the 42 model preceded the 32 by a couple of years and people who bought 42s won't change to 32s; also thought that if 32 was first then it would sell better. Apparently the situation is different: I buy Jan's argument that many people are willing to tradeoff the extra weight for a larger EP.

I thought the same; and also that the sales for x32s lag behind those for x42s because the 42 model preceded the 32 by a couple of years and people who bought 42s won't change to 32s; also thought that if 32 was first then it would sell better. Apparently the situation is different: I buy Jan's argument that many people are willing to tradeoff the extra weight for a larger EP.

I guess it doesn't hurt with a larger EP, and my guess is that 10x is the most common mag.

But really, in practice, the 8x32 SV is so good now, transmission, eye relief etc. handheld, at the end of the day, a shaky 10x might make you see less than the 8x….

My thought is that there are a lot of tradition, psychology, marketing buzz and unscientific opinions in this area….and we need more science…and with that I don't mean looking at resolution charts at 20 feet, indoors. More realistic testing is needed.

That's my very humble opinion!

o:D

Last edited:
interesting,

what is the proportion between 8x and 10x?

the 50mm swaros are marketed pretty eagerly here in Sweden…
after the SF was announced…

but really, wouldn't most people manage with a 8x32 swaro??
I think it's all about marketing…
o:):smoke:

Marketing has proven to be of importance but a LOT of people traded their 42 in for the 50 so they could go for a 5.0 exit pupil in stead of the 4.2 otherwise.
Most of them were convinced in the field use after they compared the 42 with the 50. No marketing here!!!

Down here most birders buy 10, but other users buy often 8.5/8x42.
So it depends on which target group a retailer focus on.

Jan

So this begs the question .... when does the 50mm SF arrive?!

I don't recall this even being mentioned on this thread. What sort of weight target can be expected with the same wide AFOV's? Sub 900g .....Perhaps it gets developed before the 32mm ..... :brains:

Dennis --- looks like you may just as well jump at the 8×42mm SF after all ! :cat:

So if Mr. Zeiss is going to be making 50mm SF's first --- then can I finally have my 9×50's ?!!!! Pretty please ..... :loveme:

Chosun :gh:

Hmmmmm. The SF frankly worries me. I hear tales of poor color saturation, unsharp edges, sticky eye cups and incorrect objective covers. Since color saturation and sharp edges are extremely important to me I am going to wait for some reviews on this baby I don't care how big the FOV is. This thing could be a big lemon.

So this begs the question .... when does the 50mm SF arrive?!

I don't recall this even being mentioned on this thread. What sort of weight target can be expected with the same wide AFOV's? Sub 900g .....Perhaps it gets developed before the 32mm ..... :brains:

Dennis --- looks like you may just as well jump at the 8×42mm SF after all ! :cat:

So if Mr. Zeiss is going to be making 50mm SF's first --- then can I finally have my 9×50's ?!!!! Pretty please ..... :loveme:

Chosun :gh:

with the same weight to size ratio as the 42mm models (swaro vs zeiss)
a 50mm SF could weigh about 935-950 grams,
(IRL the SF seem to weigh 790g but spec says 780g.)

Much of the selling point with the SF is usability and handling,
a 50mm SF might become quite long and bulky, but who knows..
and it may also take sales from the "brand new" 10x54 HT,

Here in Sweden the 10x50mm SV is CHEAPER than the 10x42mm SF,
but a 50mm comes with some trade offs, weight, size, longer close focus, less FOV, focus speed.

Is SF the best birding bin you could buy right now? I have no clue.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any problems with the SF focus.???

I was on my way to test the SF at my local supplier, but apparently they had to send all six of their units back due to focus problems.

Cheers Tim

I was on my way to test the SF at my local supplier, but apparently they had to send all six of their units back due to focus problems.

Cheers Tim

That's not a good start relative to how this model is flaunted in Zeiss media. The focusing on my 10x42 is fine, but there is a slight rattle in the internals which others raised in an earlier entry. This doesn't seem to effect any of the functions at this point. Each unit has a quality signature with it, but this now leaves a question about the validity of this, or the depth of the quality check if there are these focus issues surfacing. I would have thought that the very first units to be released on the market would have been ultra checked, just to avoid such as this occurring.

Pesto

This isn't a golden rule followed by every manufacturer all the time but car manufacturers launching a new premium car (not regular cars) will frequently launch the most expensive version (for example with the biggest / most powerful engine) first. This is to tempt those who really want to buy the new model, and who would have been happy enough with a cheaper version (perhaps with a smaller engine) to reach deeper into their pockets to buy the top line most expensive one because its available now.

Thus 42s come out before 32s to tempt buyers into going for the more expensive of the two most popular sizes. And if a buyer likes the 42 so much that he would like a more compact version and buys a 32 as well when it is launched then that is a bonus for the manufacturer.

That is my theory anyway.

Lee

Cheers Tim

I know the dealer you are refering to but your quoted number of returns does not correspond with the number that they have been supplied with !!!

Gary.

Hi Gary

Happy New year.

As I understand they had four then a further two..
I was goin test the last two on Saturday ,,, but they'd already been sent back...

Tim

Tim

I'm sure Zeiss will sort things out, they don't really have much of an option.

But.....it does raise all sorts of questions and I'm sure most dealers will now be Zeiss's second level of quality check.

The compensation is that these are lovely binoculars, not only optically but also aesthetically and ergonomically.

AndyRB,

Most, if not all, roof prism binocular have a moving internal focussing lens. This lens normally runs up and down a guide shaft and does not grip the shaft tightly (or the focus would be stiff). A picture of this system from another binocular model is shown.

In normal use you should not hear any movement in this lens.

When do you hear the rattle ?

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 137
Hi Gary

Happy New year.

As I understand they had four then a further two..
I was goin test the last two on Saturday ,,, but they'd already been sent back...

Tim

Maybe the dealer could tell us what happened.

So if I understand you correctly, 2 out of 6 were broke. That's much better than 6 out of 6:smoke:

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back