• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID, Delware, USA (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The below photograph was taken today at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Delaware, USA.

This Sandpiper has rather long, dark legs and it looks like a spot of yellow at the base of the bill. I was thinking White-rumped but there are no streaks on the flanks.

Attachments

• 615_12702_BZ2A1901 Sandpiper.jpg
    615_12702_BZ2A1901 Sandpiper.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 120
To me the spot at the base of the bill looks like mud. The wings looks too short for White-rumped Sandpiper. I would say that it is a Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Mike

I am coming to that conclusion also. The stretched out legs are what had me confused. I thought it was a Sandpiper with long legs.

Larry,

There were hundreds of Semipalmated Sandpipers in the area. Definitely not Least as none of them had yellow legs.

Sandpiper Id

I am coming to that conclusion also. The stretched out legs are what had me confused. I thought it was a Sandpiper with long legs.
Yes the stretched out legs makes the bird look quite alert but Then when was a wader never alert, in your photo looks ready for take off as in over the hills and far away or the next creek anyway.. ;)

Bob I did not know about the 100's of Semipalmated Sandpipers in the area. I only saw the photo of a single bird. That is what I based my opinion on. Still looks like a small sandpiper with muddy bill and legs. So no way to tell on this single bird which color the legs are.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back