• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly, Alicante region, Spain (1 Viewer)

lazza

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this lovely butterfly found on rosemary in my in-laws' garden just south of Alicante in Spain. It seems to me it should be a hair-streak butterfly, but I can't find any match among the species listed for Spain.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unknown_butterfly.jpg
    unknown_butterfly.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 56
Hi
Shane is correct. It's not native European species but comes from southern Africa and was accidentally introduced to southern Europe where it has spread and caused havoc with the Spanish 'Geranium' industry (i.e. garden Pelargoniums). The larvae feed on the flower buds but will also attack the stems and leaves. It's also been recorded in the UK.
Martin

Thanks, both. Didn't spot it on my Spanish butterfly list but it's at the bottom as an introduced species.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back