• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby house finches (1 Viewer)

Talata

Hi there, This is my first time posting here. I found your forum as a way to ask a specific question that just came up. I am in Portland Oregon and we have a house finch nest under the front porch. They built the nest behind a heavy concrete buddha statue. Usually the mom is in the nest all day and flys off when we walk up the portch. Dad sits near by singing most of the day. Last night they must have knocked the buddha statue down and I hear a loud thump but couldn't figure out what it was. Today, no mom. It seems she may have been scared off by the loud noise when they bumped and dropped the statue almost 12 feet below them. Today I see a full nest of five babies barely with feathers. Dad is still around but he doesn't go in the nest all day. I'm not sure if he goes in at night.

If mom doesn't come back will they be warm enough? Have you heard of putting anything up there to make it warmer? Will the dad take care of feeding them?
They look like they are only a few days old and eyes aren't open.

Please help if you have recommendations on what to do if the mom doesn't return.

Thanks and looking forward to this forum!! -T

Hi Talata and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

If the mother has deserted the nest, I rather fear for the safety of these chicks - they will not be warm enough during the night without protection (unless you have very warm nights of course).

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds, which you might find useful. If there's no developments soon, it might be an idea to speak to a wildlife rehabber for advice.

Please let us know how you get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back