• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Vegas, NV Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

dave598

United States
When I have been out bird watching and doing photography I have seen alot of Dragonflies but I have no clue how to ID them.

Here is one I saw a couple of weeks ago at the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve.

Attachments

• _MG_4444 WM RS 0001.jpg
    _MG_4444 WM RS 0001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 85
Here is another one that I posted in the Gallery a while back.

Attachments

• RED DRAGON FLY WM RS 0001.jpg
    RED DRAGON FLY WM RS 0001.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 74
First image isn't great for ID, but possibly immature male Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis + second I think a male Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata.

We have some talented dragonfly folks on iNaturalist. The second is certainly flame skimmer. The first is one of at least three species, two of which I don't know well enough to comment on.

We have some talented dragonfly folks on iNaturalist. The second is certainly flame skimmer. The first is one of at least three species, two of which I don't know well enough to comment on.

I posted the second on iNaturalist, as I am a member, and nobody ever came up with an id on it. Thank you Silverwolf.

If you don't get a reply on dragonflies you can summon @greglasley and @jimjohnson with these at symbols, and they ought to comment on it.

I have gone through the entire dragonfly sightings for that state and I don't see your observations. Did you tag them as dragonflies? I can't find your username on there either although there isn't really a way to search users at this time.

If you don't get a reply on dragonflies you can summon @greglasley and @jimjohnson with these at symbols, and they ought to comment on it.

I have gone through the entire dragonfly sightings for that state and I don't see your observations. Did you tag them as dragonflies? I can't find your username on there either although there isn't really a way to search users at this time.

Hey Silverwolf, I am dwbutcher on iNaturalist and I did not tag them as dragonflies but I have since changed that. Do I tag it with @greglasley and @jimjohnson?

You just type their name with the at symbol and when you hit comment, it'll come up in blue text if you have done it right.

I realize my wording was confusing when I said tag. What I meant was adding an identification of "Dragonflies". This means that any experts, or anyone wanting to identify dragonflies, will find your observation. It is nearly impossible to find observations when they have no ID, as in my case above when I was looking for your photos.

If you don't know what it is then you put the closest ID you can. In this case "Dragonflies". If you aren't sure what insect it is, you can put "Insects".

I forgot there is also a "tag" function, which was not what I meant. Sorry!

Last edited:
Hey Silverwolf thank you for your assistance I am going to do a little more exploring on iNaturalist this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back