• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for birding in Singapore ? (1 Viewer)

solentbirder

Singapore - Advice for birding ?

I may be visiting Singapore for a few days and wondered if anyone had advice for a bit of easy bird-spotting. I don't expect I'll have much opportunity as I'll be working but it'd be handy to have a few hints and tips.
Cheers
John

Last edited:
John,
I had very limited time there & so I chose Bukit Timan ( I think - will check this out &, if wrong, will get back to you later). It is just a short taxi-ride from the city & easily accessible.
Get there before first light - there will be plenty of people walking/jogging even then, but the quieter trails are people free.
For more sites & trip reports just google Singapore trip reports - & I'm sure BF members from Singapore will be along to recommend more.
Good luck.
Halftwo

If time is very short then the Botanic Gardens in the city are worth a visit and they have a nice cafe too. If you have half a day then the Sungei Buloh Wetlands are a must (about 40 mins by cab ). Neil.

John,
Am home now - I was correct, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.
The only other birding I did was accidental during touristy things but the city (I think a large park with war memorials by the shore & within walking distance of Raffles) was excellent- I saw (amongst other things) Sunda pygmy woodpeckers & Pied triller in the trees there.
H

halftwo said:
John,
Am home now - I was correct, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.
The only other birding I did was accidental during touristy things but the city (I think a large park with war memorials by the shore & within walking distance of Raffles) was excellent- I saw (amongst other things) Sunda pygmy woodpeckers & Pied triller in the trees there.
H

Thanks, that's great. I've got a map now so I can see where you mean. It sounds like there's great potential even if time is short.

John,

Have a look at this site: http://www.nparks.gov.sg/ -sections "Park & Gardens" & "Nature Reserves".

I'm passing through Singapore myself over Christmas and have been doing some "genning up" on the best sites. Most of them are accessible by taxi or MRT /bus network.

Mark

I spent 4 days in Singapore a couple of months a go now and during that time I spent a few hours at the amazing Jurong Bird Park http://www.birdpark.com.sg/ I thought it was absolutely wonderful and could easily have spent the whole day there, well worth a visit if you have the time/chance.

Have a great trip!

Botanical Gardens is an excellent spot, even has some species are difficult to see elsewhere in Southeast Asia (Red-legged Crake, Spotted Wood-Owl etc), the little bookshop there, Nature's Niche, holds a fantastic array of bird books and is owned by the bird photographer Morten Strange, so worth going in and asking him where to go birding, very helpful guy.

If you have 2 days or so spare, even worth going up to Panti Forest just over the border in Johor, fantastic array of Sundaic lowland forest species such as Rail-babbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back