• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.25" adapter for spotting scope zoom eyepieces ? (Nikon MEP 20-60 and Tract 27-55x) (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a 1.25" adapter to use the Nikon MEP 20-60 in a standard 1.25" star diagonal? I know spotting scope eyepieces aren't designed for astro use but I would be interesting in trying to use a high quality spotting scope zoom EP in my refractor. Particularly because I enjoy using it for terrestrial use too.. Another zoom eyepiece I'm considering is the offering from Tract.

I noticed on the Tract eyepiece is says it has a bayonet attachment. And that 1.25" adapter that's out there for the Leica, which is popularly used in astro, says it uses a Zeiss Bayonet attachment. So I was wondering if maybe I could use the Leica adapter with either of the other two.

I don't have either Nikon or Turic eyepiece at the moment and I was thinking my capacity to use one of the spotting scope zooms in my refractor might dictate which spotting scope I were to get in the future.

Thanks for any and all thoughts. Also open to other suggestions.

If the tubes are less wide than the 1.25” draw tube then it would be simple enough to 3D print a slide on adapter, maybe with a slot up one side so that compression locks still work. Was discussing using microscope eyepieces in a binoviewer yesterday and the chap was just winding some duct tape round the eyepiece to bulk it up sufficiently. Be interesting to hear how they compare to the Baader and other 1.25” zooms.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back