• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 small additions to various Etymologies (1 Viewer)

Although born in France Yvette was not French. Her father Major Henry Dana Borup was Attache to the U.S. Legation at Paris, France. She was probably born on US soil in Paris and may not be in French records. But it's surely a bit irrelevant - nes pas? P

Yvette Borup Andrews (1891–1959) née Borup makes at least for me no sense. Either middle name Borup (as double last name) or née Borup. Therefore the geni record may correct. But Paul seems correct I did not find her in Archive en ligne.

Last edited:
Yvette Borup Andrews (1891–1959) née Borup makes at least for me no sense. Either middle name Borup (as double last name) or née Borup. Therefore the geni record may correct. But Paul seems correct I did not find here in Archive en ligne.
It is very common in North America to incorporate your birth surname as part of your forname and use your husband's surname. After all, after marriage you have to formally change your name if you wish to use your husband's surname so why not change your fornames too. Especially when your Father was someone as well respected as Major Henry Borup. So if you wish to give her name at death it was Yvette Borup Andrews. If you wish to give her name at birth it may have been Yvette Huen Borup. I suggest choosing a moment in time and being consistent when giving woman's names. Similarly Spanish names can either be given as a single surname or the surnames of both parents or, for married woman, the name of the father and the husband or the name of the father and the mother and the husband. In any dictionary I don't care which you choose but please be consistant. P

Last edited:
17 + 1 = 18

No. 18 – voelckeri

● in the subspecies Seicercus ruficapilla voelckeri ROBERTS 1941 as "Seicercus ruficapillus voelckeri"

= the British (or British-South African?) Accountant and later businessman Mr. John Voelcker (18981968)

He was born, raised and educated in the UK and moved to South Africa in 1830, where he established himself in Johannesburg, onwards also as a well-reputed ornithologist and editor/publisher, from 1939 General Manager of African Explosives, from 1941 till 1959 President of the South African Ornithological Society, Chairman of the S. A. Bird Book Fund (today known as John Voelcker Bird Book Fund) etc. etc. …

More on him, see his Obituary, in Ostrich: Journal of African Ornithology 39 (1): p. 48 (or here)

Nothing essential more the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Yellow-throated Woodland Warbler ssp. Phylloscopus ruficapilla voelckeri J. A.Roberts,1941
John Voelcker (b.1898) was a South African businessman and ornithologist. He was President, South African Ornithological Society (1935–1950).

But in an obituary in African Wildlife we can read:

John Voelcker ( An appreciation ) It is with regret that we refer to the death of John Voelcker on January 1, 1968 on his farm at Lidgetton , Natal. He was born in England, educated at Repton School and the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich and served in the Royal Artillery with the British Expeditionary Force in France, where he was seriously wounded in 1918 . He came to South Africa in 1930 as a representative of Imperial Chemical Industries and joined African Explosives and Chemical Industries as General Manager in 1939. Like so many “British Army men” he was a keen sportsman, an ardentfly - fisherman and ornithologist , and eventually an active conservationist; at the same time he retained an active interest in farming, and spent his retirement, after 1960, on his farm in Natal. It was whilst he was President of the South African Ornithological Society ( 1941–1947 ) that he, together with his predecessor, Sir Llewellyn Anderson ( died 1948 ), conceived the idea of forming a Board of Trustees with the object of publishing Austin Roberts 'Birds of South Africa in 1940 , which Board also sponsored Austin Roberts' Mammals of South Africa in 1949. This Board continues to give financial aid to the publication of natural history books.

No. 3 – bloodi
● in the invalid subspecies "Oreocharis arfaki bloodi" GYLDENSTOLPE 1955: "Named in honour of Captain Ned Blood who was of the greatest assistance to me during our most interesting stay [i. e. 1951] in the interior of New Guinea." [Syn. of monotypic Oreocharis arfaki MEYER 1875]
= the Australian District Officer (Government Official) and sheep farmer , but also noted naturalist and explorer of New Guinea; Captain Ned B. Blood (xxxx-xxxx)*, manager and first leader of the Hallstrom Livestock and Fauna Station (that he set up in 1950), outside the small native community Nondugl, Wahgi Valley, Western highlands, New Guinea.

Not sure you had his date of decease:

Neptune Beresford Newcombe Blood
Birth12 Aug 1907 Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Marriage1936 Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Death20 Jul 1978 Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

No. 6 – grindae
● the subspecies "Grinda Bush-tit" or "Grinda's Titmouse" Psaltriparus minimus grindae RIDGWAY 1883 as "Psaltriparus grindæ" (on reguest by its collector Lyman Belding, who collected the type the 2nd of February 1883): "I take much pleasure in dedicating this species in honor of my good friend Sr. Don Francisco C. Grinda, of La Paz, as a slight token of my appreciation of his generous impulses and gentlemanly qualities of head and hart.—L. B."
= The Mexican Administrator (de la Aduana Marítima de La Paz), collector of customs; Don Francisco C. Grinda (xxxx–xxxx), that is of La Paz, district of Baja California (Lower California), Western Mexico.

NameFrancisco Garcia Grinda
SpouseEmilia Barret
Birthabt 1835
Marriage10 dic. 1876 (10 Dec 1876) La Paz, Baja California Sur, México (Mexico)

Attachments

• 004880797_01993.jpg
    004880797_01993.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
No. 15ascensi
● in the the subspecies Macronyx fuellebornii ascensi SALVADORI 1907
= the almost totally unknown Italian Doctor (Dottore) Michele Ascenso (xxxx-xxxx), of San Remo, collector in Central Africa in the early 1900's.

"Si vedano , ad esempio , le corrispondenze inviate a « Il pensiero di Sanremo » dal medico dentista sanremese Michele Ascenso ( 1870 – 1958 ) , che fra il 1902 ed il 1909 prese parte ad una spedizione scientifico - industriale organizzata"

Last edited:
No. 7 – hina
● … in the mysterious "Anas hina" – explained in Jobling's HBW Alive Key (today) as:
hina
Based on “Hina Teal” (from China) of Latham 1785, and Anas hina J. Gmelin, 1789 (both unident.); perhaps in error for China or a local name, or from Gr. ἱνα hina where (syn. Biziura lobata).
= … according to Latham 1824 (A General History of Birds, vol 10, p. 376. – here) … it´s apparently a local Chinese name "Hina-a"!
I think Latham is probably right but there is another theory.
Pehr Osbeck 1757 so not a good name. Anas chinensis.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/196542#page/274/mode/1up .
Which Gmelin named A. Hina citing Osbeck and Latham's Hina Teal.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/10286#page/24/mode/1up .
Fox in a 1906 Science opines Hina is a misprint for chinensis. ??

No. 6 – grindae
● the subspecies "Grinda Bush-tit" or "Grinda's Titmouse" Psaltriparus minimus grindae RIDGWAY 1883 as "Psaltriparus grindæ" (on reguest by its collector Lyman Belding, who collected the type the 2nd of February 1883): "I take much pleasure in dedicating this species in honor of my good friend Sr. Don Francisco C. Grinda, of La Paz, as a slight token of my appreciation of his generous impulses and gentlemanly qualities of head and hart.—L. B."
= The Mexican Administrator (de la Aduana Marítima de La Paz), collector of customs; Don Francisco C. Grinda (xxxx–xxxx), that is of La Paz, district of Baja California (Lower California), Western Mexico.
This is right. But the middle name is G. In 1872 he was in San Blas as a Captain.
Page 188 of:
https://books.google.com/books?id=pjwKAQAAMAAJ&dq="Francisco+G.+Grinda"&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
I was wondering if the name should be grindai?

Last edited:
12 + 1 = 13

No. 13
thilohoffmanni & (the English Common name) Serendib

● ... in the relatively newly discovered (heard 1995, seen 2001 and described as) Otus thilohoffmanni WARAKAGODA & RASMUSSEN 2004 a k a Serendib Scops Owl.

See article in Birding Asia 2006 (here), by its discoverer Deepal Warakagoda himself, where he writes (on p.69): = the Swiss ornithologist, conservationist, agronomist, multi-biologist and activist etc. etc. Thilo Walter Hoffmann (1922–2014), "the most senior environmentalist and ornithologist of Sri Lanka, …", who also got the honourary title “Sri Lanka Ratna”. He passed away in May (dates differ) earlier this year (2014) in Switzerland, at the age of 92, having spent the past 68 years in Sri Lanka (he arrived there in October 1946!) … Obituaries (here, here and here)

Nothing really new. This is what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Serendib Scops Owl Otus thilohoffmanni Warakagoda & Rasmussen, 2004
Thilo W. Hoffmann is a Swiss conservationist, resident in Sri Lanka. He is Chairman of Ceylon Bird Club. He revised and enlarged Henry's A Guide to the Birds of Sri Lanka with Warakagoda & Ekanayake (1998) and wrote Threatened Birds of Sri Lanka National Red List (1999). Deepal Warakagoda told us he discovered this scops owl in 1995, but it was only six years later that he was sure it was the first new species to be found in Sri Lanka for 132 years.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back