• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x low light binoculars for around €1000 ? (2 Viewers)

They do not have to be the best low light glass. I will mostly use them at dark days or at dusk, replacing my NL 10x32. So I still think a Habicht 10x40 will be a good option. I like the style and the looks of it. The more 3D view through porro's is a nice feature as well. I haven't looked through a Habicht still, so I definityly have to do that first, also to decide if it's going to be the gummi one or the black one. Habicht has not for everyone I have read.
I looked through the Conquest 10x42 and it was nice, comfortable and bright (although I like the warmer colours of Swarovski). EL 10x50 would be really nice as well, but too expensive and I am not considering to sell my NL 10x32. I might seel the SLC 8x42, but I think I will regret that later.

So I still think Habicht 10x40 fits the bill... the more comfortable gummi or the more beautiful black. I definitetly have to try them first.

I've some experience with low light viewing. I have a Conquest HD in 10x42. It's breathtaking in low light and a good option if you gotta have a 42mm bin. It's probably the best at the $1000 in a 42mm. However, it is not brighter in low light than my 10x50 vortex viper (older model made in Japan). They're really good in low light. I have a porro in 8x40 but it isn't in the same league as the others being a lower end model. I have desired to have another 10x50 for low light viewing. The Maven b6 in 10x50 is intriguing to me. I have also considered a maven b2 in 9x45, but I havent had a chance to look through either of them yet. Both have 5mm exit pupils. The main drawback of a 10x50 is the narrower field of view, which is why I sold my vipers. The B6 appeals to me because of a FOV just a little less than the conquest at 341' vs 345' at 1000 yards.The Maven b2 has an outstanding FOV but more bulk. An AK binocular would give a slight advantage over a Schmidt in the same configuration. If you take a page from the astro community, aperature is king in low light. And large aperature AK's would be best but there's a trade offs in weight and bulk. Some have mentioned Vortex UHD which is a good recommendation, but also conquests in 10x56mm could also be an ideal choice if your priority is low light veiwing. Let us know what you picked.

If Zeiss had a 10x50 conquest, that would be the one. But the 10x56 is way too bulky and heavy to me. The SLC 10x56 would be more in consideration. But still, too big for my taste. Again, a SLC 10x50 would fit the bill as well. :)
1000 gram is where I have drawn the line.

Reinier Bos,
I just returned an investigated Swarovski 10x40 Habicht to House of Outdoor. It was an older one , but the new ones with Central Focus are easy to use, very strong and waterproof . If you want an almost indestructable binocular with excellent optical quality: the 7x42 Habicht and the 10x40 Habicht (both beautiful porros) with very solid rubber armor and around 1000 euros or a little more can be the one you are looking for. Try before yo buy.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back