• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 SLC ED focus wheel (7 Viewers)

For pure toughness, my money is on the Meopta HD. They did tests like Zeiss did on the Conquest way before Zeiss ever thought of it.

I can see why. The Meoptas are IMO overbuilt. Too heavy and bulky for me to seriously consider using in the field. Great optics at a good price though.

I can see why. The Meoptas are IMO overbuilt. Too heavy and bulky for me to seriously consider using in the field. Great optics at a good price though.

That's due to their long time military background, and the fact their built for hard core big game hunting. For that, they excel....big time.

That's due to their long time military background, and the fact their built for hard core big game hunting. For that, they excel....big time.

But apparently not big time in resolution, according to Bird Watcher's Digest. In resolution, the Porters rated the 8x42 Conquest HD 4.7 out of 5 pts., and the Meopta 3.9 out of 5, a step below the Pentax 8x43 ED. The Meopta HD wasn't out yet, I wonder how much the HD/ED glass contributes to resolution?

birdwatching.com/2012highendbins/review

<B>

But apparently not big time in resolution, according to Bird Watcher's Digest. In resolution, the Porters rated the 8x42 Conquest HD 4.7 out of 5 pts., and the Meopta 3.9 out of 5, a step below the Pentax 8x43 ED. The Meopta HD wasn't out yet, I wonder how much the HD/ED glass contributes to resolution?

birdwatching.com/2012highendbins/review

<B>

Couldn't tell you that, but I've had my Meopta HD and Swaro SLC HD, both in 10x42, side by side on a tripod for hours. To my untrained eye there's virtually no difference in the view. I like the SLC's ergo better though.

What about changing your username to Brocknrollingball, or Brocknfocuser? ;)

HN

I would have to re-register to change my username, but if I sign up for another bin forum, it would be brocknrollingballer (a double entendre I think you will appreciate ;)

If you sign up again, I would suggest Dropsy Harry as a username. 8-P

<B>

Last edited:

It was the collective "you," not you personally. I thought that was understood.

I nearly bought the Meoptas in Cabelas a few years ago. I had the money on me, it was before the price went up, and I would have been happy to pay full retail for the view I was seeing.

But the ergonomics just killed the deal for me. Felt like I was picking up a brick every time I grabbed them.

There was no doubt the image was fantastic. That's the only reason I seriously considered them in the first place. But in the end, I wasn't willing to put up with the awful ergonomics just to have that view.

But the ergonomics just killed the deal for me. Felt like I was picking up a brick every time I grabbed them.

There was no doubt the image was fantastic. That's the only reason I seriously considered them in the first place. But in the end, I wasn't willing to put up with the awful ergonomics just to have that view.

Agreed...I Really liked the view of the "Meopta made" Cabela Euro HD's, almost as much as the SLC's. However, they just didn't feel right in my hands and I didn't care for their diopter control. I wouldn't call their design terrible, just wasn't for me either!

Bin makers sometimes forget that people have fingers, and that those fingers need to wrap around something in order to get a good grip. What good are opposable thumbs if you can't use them? Heck, you might as well be a fish-man.

For those who don't have naturally webbed fingers like Meopta Girl, you can order a pair of these, which should help you grip no barrel bins.

Silica-Gel-Gloves-Swimming-Fins-Set.jpg

<B>

Last edited:
Agreed...I Really liked the view of the "Meopta made" Cabela Euro HD's, almost as much as the SLC's. However, they just didn't feel right in my hands and I didn't care for their diopter control. I wouldn't call their design terrible, just wasn't for me either!

I tried the Meopta HD's a while back at Cabella's and I remember thinking these things feel weird. Egonomics are awful on them. They don't fit your hands well.

I tried the Meopta HD's a while back at Cabella's and I remember thinking these things feel weird. Egonomics are awful on them. They don't fit your hands well.

Dennis,

Is that a collective "your"?

And binocular egonomics certainly are important here on the Binocular Forum!;)

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back