• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 vs 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I'm looking to buy a new pair of binos. I currently have some rubbishy 10x42s and I want to invest in a decent ED pair. I've never had experience of 8x42 and I've read and watched videos about both. Does anyone have some first hand advice to offer?

I'm currently looking at some viking peregrines in an 8x42 which are around 40 quid cheaper than the 10x. Also maybe hawke endurance ED binoculars. If anyone's had experience them too?

anecdote: when i first started interest in bino, got a variety of affordable mags and sizes. 8x30 monarch 7 became the only one that got used.

Lately I restarted collecting, and stuck with ~8x and just buy different sizes of it for different occasions. From 21mm pocket to 56mm dinosaur 🦕

I can't offer personal advice on the two brands, both seem to get reasonable reviews for the price.

As to 8s or 10s, it's a personal choice, but things to consider are:

- where do you mainly bird? If it's mainly open countryside and marshland the extra reach of a 10x can be useful, if it's more woodland or closer range birding an 8 might make more sense.

- how steady or your hands? Some people struggle with holding 10s steady, others are fine. A steady view with an 8 is better than a slightly shakey 10x.

- what's the field of view like? Some people like a really wide field of view, others don't mind.

I can't offer personal advice on the two brands, both seem to get reasonable reviews for the...
Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. I'm quite varied to where I birdwatch - the garden, coast, woods, countryside. My hands are steady.
I might end up going to a reserve or optics shop to test some 8s and 10s to get a feel if the difference.

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply. I'm quite varied to where I birdwatch - the garden, coast, woods, countryside. My hands are steady.
I might end up going to a reserve or optics shop to test some 8s and 10s to get a feel if the difference.
Nothing beats trying optics yourself - bear in mind that balance, eyepiece comfort and general handling vary a lot, It's easy to decide you prefer one magnification based on a one or two models, whilst it might be just those specific models and not apply to all... Also a technically better binocular that you find awkward to use is probably a worse buy than one that might have minor flaws but you enjoy using. No binoculars are perfect for anyone, and many excellent binoculars don't suit everyone. Focusing speed, CA control, glare under awkward lighting, edge distortion can aggravate some users but be minor concerns for others.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back