• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liebzi

2 eagles from Kruger National Park end November 2022 I'm in doubt with.

The first one being a young martial perhaps. Long tailed pale eagle with darkish flight feathers. It just seems a bit off, but since Crowned is the only other option for being a bit similar, it's making me a bit confused.

The perched brownish eagle I identified as a Wahlberg's, but after getting home I'm seeing an unbarred tail giving it a taste of Tawny. But I might be wrong?

Looking forward to hear what you guys think

Best

Anton

Attachments

• 520934181.jpg
    520934181.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • 521376121.jpg
    521376121.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 81
1. I think sub-adult palm-nut vulture - despite the apparently-over-long tail.
2. Bill must be too big for Wahlberg's eagle.

The first bird does have a typically closed tail posture of Wahlberg's but it somehow looks too bulky and too long necked?

Vulture for me.

I agree with vulture for 1, but can't see Palm-nut there. And I can't get Wahlberg's either, however many illustrations I look at.

Given that the photo is rather distant and blurry isn't it possible that this is just African White-backed? Or perhaps Cape Vulture in that location? The tail can definitely look like this (see attached photo) and if the neck was extended just a little, then it looks OK to me (and p10 being in the course of replacement in the OP's bird).

And if not, then something similar - i.e. not Palm-nut or Wahlberg's?

BF Vulture 230117.jpg130430289 Samburu.jpg

IMO the nape of the first bird looks overexposed and blending in with the sky, therefore creating the illusion of a proportionally smaller head and longer neck.

The OP (Original Poster) Liebzi has not joined in the thread since the original post. Modern cameras seem to usually take a string of photos in succession. If Liebzi has other photos of this bird, perhaps they would help (however blurred) - so please post them if you are still watching. Again, this seems to be a thread where various knowledgeable people have varying opinions, so the more shots the better I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back