• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steppe vs Tawny Eagle from South Africa (1 Viewer)

Liebzi

Hi,

An adult Steppe/Tawny Eagle type from Kruger park, South Africa in end November. Gape, bill shape, eye color, tail barring just of out reach to get a perfect feeling about it. P and S seems lighter than what I would expect being on an adult Steppe, and the light brownish tinged body and underwing coverts tend to make me lean towards Tawny. It doesn't look that broad winged, and I assume that is a good factor for Tawny as well. But since I have never been coming across an adult tawny before, I would appreciate some confirmation.

Best

Anton

Attachments

• 521815971.jpg
    521815971.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 521815991.jpg
    521815991.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 521816001.jpg
    521816001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 521816021.jpg
    521816021.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
Second plumage Tawny imho
Typical tawny head and otherwise bleached body
Most flight feathers juvenile except some inne secondaries

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back