• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2005 ATS 80 (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi all,

What differences are there between an ATS 80 produced in 2005 and one produced now?

I am basing the 2005 year on the serial number of a scope I just bought. Serial number starts 75.

Thanks

It would be interesting to put my new acquisition next to the latest ATS and see if there is much difference.
Took it out this evening with 20 & 30x fixed EPs and it looks really good.

an excellent optic is still an excellent optic after 30 years, enjoy your acquisition!
i don't see any daytime differences between my ATS 80HD (2009 i think) and my ATX95 (first model), and i'm willing to bet that between your model and my HD model there is very little differences at 30x. things probably change if you add more magnification, 50x or much more as in my picture below. Swaro_ spottings_IMG_7885.JPG

The only curious thing is that on the serial number registration page on the official website, it is indicated that it is the ATM but i'have purchased an ATS.

Individual sample differences in the optics will matter more than any of the small upgrades Swarovski has made to the scope. Mainly there are better multi coatings on the later models, but the early ATS was already excellent in this regard.

an excellent optic is still an excellent optic after 30 years, enjoy your acquisition!
i don't see any daytime differences between my ATS 80HD (2009 i think) and my ATX95 (first model), and i'm willing to bet that between your model and my HD model there is very little differences at 30x. things probably change if you add more magnification, 50x or much more as in my picture below. View attachment 1514998
Hi Steph,
I have an astro adapter for ATSs somewhere.
Is that a televue ethos eyepiece? What fl is it (can I see 4.7mm?) and what mag does it give on your scope?

Astro e/ps are great for getting wiiiiide fovs 👍

Hi,

afaik, the optics in the old ATS-HD, ATM-HD and current ATS bodies are identical except maybe updated multicoatings for ever so slightly improved transmission. The same goes for the old ATS and ATM plain glass variants. The main difference was the magnesium alloy body for the ATM and then the double take back to alumninum when the ATM was relegated back to second line duty in the form of the new ATS after the ATX series came out.

Joachim

Hi Steph,
I have an astro adapter for ATSs somewhere.
Is that a televue ethos eyepiece? What fl is it (can I see 4.7mm?) and what mag does it give on your scope?

Astro e/ps are great for getting wiiiiide fovs 👍
Hi, more or less 100x with the Televue Ethos 4.7mm 110° and about 90x with the Televue Delos 6mm 72°. I use both.

Wow. I don't think my eyes could cope with the tiny depth of focus.
Do you get enough times with low enough heat haze to use such high mags often?

in the fall and winter, or at 2-3 a.m. even in the summer but then I use the atx95, I would like to have the atx115 but in that case I have to sell the atx95. I will never sell the ats 80hd.

I could use the astro adapter to go low mag. Say a 30mm to give 15x to reduce the effect of heat haze.
I deal with a lot of heat haze and even 20x is too high for it.

Hi, more or less 100x with the Televue Ethos 4.7mm 110° and about 90x with the Televue Delos 6mm 72°. I use both.
I like the look of the televue 100* 21mm. 23x on an ATS. What a fov! 89m/1000m. But what a price tag!! £900 Yowzer.

Edit- oops, just realised that's a 2 inch e/p.

Last edited:
IMO you should switch to something else like this (picture).
the cost was about $1200 (converted) about 10 years ago and they are extremely useful especially in summer and on water, they are stabilized, you can put filters on (I use polarized filters) and the optics are excellent using a tripod/monopod, stabilized 'only' very good (you can feel the lens movements) but they are often used in a boat or on a moving vehicle, I have seen them in the hands of the military on a helicopter. made in Japan.

Attachments

• DSC00818.JPG
    DSC00818.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I could use the astro adapter to go low mag. Say a 30mm to give 15x to reduce the effect of heat haze.
I deal with a lot of heat haze and even 20x is too high for it.
I've just re-checked the diameter of the sealing "windows" in the bodies of my ATM 65HD and Kowa 883, which are 26 mm and 23 mm respectively, so on the ATS 80 you could get away with using a 32 mm Plössl (27 mm field stop) without any noticeable vignetting.
I have a 28 mm Edmund Optics RKE (23 mm field stop), which gives 16,5x and 18x magnification and 4 mm and 5 mm exit pupils on the two scopes.
Despite a rather narrow AFoV of 45°, there's something very special about the view, which without the rubber eye cup, some have described as an image floating in space.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back