• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2009 EL 8.5x42 eyecups (1 Viewer)

abbor

Norway
I have an 2009 EL 8.5x42 (pre SV). I need longer eyecups, probably 2-3mm longer. I've seen longer eyecups for EL 8.5x42 mentioned in two threads here. I've been struggling a bit with positioning the eyecups against eyebrows and in between the eyebrows and eye lids since I bought the binocular (new) to avoid blackening. A couple of of weeks ago I bought a Conquest HD 10x42 and got the longer eyecups, this works perfectly for me in the outer position. Then I understood the problem with my EL.

Here it's mentioned that SLC 8x56 eyecups could be used, how much longer are these?
Compared Swarovski EL 8.5x42 versus Zeiss 8x42 SF

In another post I saw the eyecups were swapped to SLC 15x56 by the same reason. These comes in two versions, 1999-2013 is using the same eyecup as pre SV EL 10x42, this version I assume is shorter than the ones I have. So it must have been the eyecups from the HD version.

Speaking only of SLCs (in the recent HD versions), the eye relief on 56s is successively longer going from 15 to 10 to 8x (16, 19.5, 23mm stated), and the eyecups are also deeper by ~2-3mm each time, which may not correspond exactly but can be useful. Similarly for SLC 42, from 10 to 8x ER goes from 16 to 18.5mm, and eyecups are again ~2mm deeper. In both cases I find that using 8x eyecups on the 10x model solves my problem. A couple of mm can be all it takes. So just ask Swarovski which one will work, HD or pre-HD SLC 8x56 eyecups.

Thanks for the reply. My binoculars use the same eyecups as 1996-2010 SLC 10x50. Based on what you wrote I assume the eyecups from 8x50 or 8x56 of the same generation would be what will fit me. I can order both sets for in total $40, so this is what I will do and test which of these I prefer. If they are too long they will create problems the few times I use eyeglasses with the binoculars. I currently turn the eyecups slightly out when using eyeglasses, so a bit longer will not create problems.

I would encourage you to ask Swarovski for advice on that choice, which might also lead to being offered eyecups gratis, who knows. Whichever you use, they should still retract fully for use with eyeglasses, at least that's so when not mixing SLC with EL.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back