• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Heath Spotted

Heath Spotted orchids just starting to flower at my local Bristol Water reservoir.

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV32507.JPG
    SNV32507.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SNV32509.JPG
    SNV32509.JPG
    418.2 KB · Views: 47
  • SNV32510.JPG
    SNV32510.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 43
  • SNV32512.JPG
    SNV32512.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 44
  • SNV32515.JPG
    SNV32515.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 36
Spotted orchids

Heath Spotted orchids just starting to flower at my local Bristol Water reservoir.

Rich M

In the same field, still quite a few Green-winged in good condition, and a single Southern Marsh.

Up the road a short way, at a site that normally has a few hundred Common Spotted, there were only two plants in flower so far, and they were masquerading as Heath Spotted - and note the unspotted leaves!

Rich M

Attachments

• SNV32503.JPG
    SNV32503.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 36
  • SNV32519.JPG
    SNV32519.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 53
  • SNV32521.JPG
    SNV32521.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 33
  • SNV32527.JPG
    SNV32527.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 39
This is from the warden at Arneside two days ago "The LSOs are very late, as is everything else this year, and are some three to four weeks behind than in a usual year! However, they are now just coming into flower, and I anticipate there will be many flowers open by next week."

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the temperature will pick up a bit :)

Last edited:
Good evening all,

The Lady's Slipper are still weeks behind at Kilnsey Park, Yorkshire Dales, which is a bit unfortunate given that it was their Wild about Orchids festival this week. It has been widely advertised. There was only one plant in bud which may break over the next couple of days. There was a good display of Early Purple Orchids.

The Southern Marsh Orchids at Titchwell, Norfolk looked good on Tuesday.

I realise the contenious issue of site directions but if any one is feeling up to it could they please advise me of exact directions for Red Helleborine in Gloucestershire, via PM only. I will fully appreciate if no one does as this is my first post!

Regards

Adam Bimpson

Hello Adam and welcome.

The Red Helleborines in Gloucestershire are in a large enclosure surrounded by a very tall fence. The closest you can get is maybe 20-30 feet.

Unfortunately, this is actually the best place to see them in the UK!

Unless you just want to actually see them and not photograph them, it is hardly worth going. You'll need binoculars to appreciate them.

Sean

Finally got to the best spot for Sword-leaved helleborine in the Wyre Forest, where there are approximately 40 plants due to flower. Only one was actually properly open, the rest at least a week, or maybe two away from full glory.

Despite being fenced off, some have been nibbled, maybe by deer?

I did not have time this evening to check the other spots (where there are very low numbers), but will be doing so next weekend.

Hoping for better pictures when the light is a little more kind.

Sean

Attachments

• ceph-longifolia-wyre-010613.jpg
    ceph-longifolia-wyre-010613.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Sword-leaved Helleborines comfortably in flower in Hampshire. Bird's-nest Orchids flowering but not yet at peak. White helleborines are still in tight bud and the fly orchids are only just beginning to flower

Sword-leaved Helleborine - Wales

We have waited until now to try to find SLH in Wales. We tried two sites.

The first (Arthog) was a disappointment. There was evidence of the plants having been picked, as in previous years.

But at Aberdyfi we found some 30 plants which were in fine fettle.

Martin and Elaine

Attachments

• Sword Leaved Helleborine Aberdovey 29.JPG
    Sword Leaved Helleborine Aberdovey 29.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 76
late spiders

Hi - would like to visit to Kent to see the late spiders - but as it will be a long trip would appreciate some guidance as to where and when - apreciate that timing is a little problematical this year but any advice would be much apreciated
PP

Counted 2000 Lady Orchids in Denge Wood yesterday and gave up. Estimate about 4000 plants in all - an amazing site. Greater Butterfly still in bud. The Ladies were spot on for condition.

Monkeys just starting to flower - 6+ in flower, 120 plants counted, most in tight bud.

Using this as a guide I would not recommend looking for Late Spider for a good few weeks at least!!

Regards

James

Went to Rex Graham reserve yesterday for the military open day. Comparing to when I last went over there approx 3-4 years ago the number of plants was very disappointing. Probably only around the 100 flowering plants mark yesterday. Some were in lovely condition though while others were only just opening up.

I had a brief hour free this morning so nipped over to Barnack. Couldn't find any Man Orchids (has anyone seen them here yet this year?); perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places. The vast majority of Early Purples are now past their best, but still some decent looking examples. Pasqueflower also past their best but still a fair few in flower - apparently they peaked about ten days ago.

Cheers,
Josh

I had a brief hour free this morning so nipped over to Barnack. Couldn't find any Man Orchids (has anyone seen them here yet this year?); perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places. The vast majority of Early Purples are now past their best, but still some decent looking examples. Pasqueflower also past their best but still a fair few in flower - apparently they peaked about ten days ago.

Cheers,
Josh

haven't been to barnack but plenty of man orchids flowering in kent at the moment!

Ladies

I had a great day out yesterday visiting the Kent site for Lady orchids. While there I met some lovely people (hi to Heakl and his better half!) to have orchid chats with and saw masses upon masses of Lady orchids. I've enclosed some shots from the day. I don't know if there is a maximum number of images we can attach to a post so if you don't see 9 images here check out my website for those that didn't make it on here: www.naturegallery.org.uk. It's likely I'll add a few more to my website in due course anyways :)
Thanks to those people who helped me with information before my trip. It is a long way for a day trip and knowing I had reliable information was a terrific motivator to get out there.

Attachments

• LAD_O 84511306.jpg
    LAD_O 84511306.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 60
  • LAD_O 81641306.jpg
    LAD_O 81641306.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 41
  • LAD_O 82961306.jpg
    LAD_O 82961306.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 57
  • LAD_O 83761306.jpg
    LAD_O 83761306.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 44
  • LAD_O 84261306.jpg
    LAD_O 84261306.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 55
Hi Brian

I know the site well, and they are indeed late there this year! Did you get taken round by the warden?

Sean

Hi Sean, i was back today, no Paul has created an area to view them without disturbing the colony. just a couple of boards off the track. Last vist showed just a single spike. Today several, some in flower slightly warmer but near late April as far as conditions go.

Regards brian and thanks for the help, it was an Orchid lifer, not that ive seen that many. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2430_1.jpg
    IMG_2430_1.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2450_1.jpg
    IMG_2450_1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Cheers,
Josh

They are in a different place to where they used to be, but they put little signs up on the fences telling you what's in the enclosures.

Back in the Wyre today, and at the other main site, two in full flower, the rest hardly visible. There would appear to be less this year than the 43 flowering spikes in 2012.

A much more evocative place, with the plants surrounded by Bluebells, not a fence, and in among Oaks with Wood Warblers singing in the background.

Sean

Attachments

• ceph-longifolia-wyre-020613.jpg
    ceph-longifolia-wyre-020613.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Not the rare beauties being discussed above, but the Southern Marsh / Common Spotted / Early Marsh?? Orchids and Common Twayblade in the Lee Valley Regional Park are now coming into flower.

I read somewhere that this population forms a hybrid swarm, so perhaps not surprising that I'm struggling to identify many of them (or more to the point suss out an Early Marsh). Not sure if anyone can confirm or help regarding this?

Regards, Phil

Attachments

• Lee Valley Orchids.JPG
    Lee Valley Orchids.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Not the rare beauties being discussed above, but the Southern Marsh / Common Spotted / Early Marsh?? Orchids and Common Twayblade in the Lee Valley Regional Park are now coming into flower.

I read somewhere that this population forms a hybrid swarm, so perhaps not surprising that I'm struggling to identify many of them (or more to the point suss out an Early Marsh). Not sure if anyone can confirm or help regarding this?

Regards, Phil

Those look like Southern Marsh Phil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back