• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Spent five hours looking for Ghosts at two Herefordshire sites, including the 2009 spot.

No luck I'm afraid, but it was pleasing to see good numbers and variety of fungi in both areas, meaning that although the 2009 place is being heavily overgrown with Bramble due to light ingress, beneath the canopy there is still activity.

Yesterday was the anniversary of 2009's find, and a day earlier than the one nearby in 1982, so it would have been rude not to check......

However, this will be my last attempt for another year.

Sean

Sadness at the end of another orchid season.

My last - yesterday - was (just) 6 ALTs at James Hunter's site at Littlestone, SE Kent. Might have to go birding now...

Sadness at the end of another orchid season.

My last - yesterday - was (just) 6 ALTs at James Hunter's site at Littlestone, SE Kent. Might have to go birding now...

Sad indeed!

Also, got the book through a couple of weeks ago - looks great! Shark cage diving in Cornwall; never knew about that. Very keen to give it a go :t:

Mike

I am at the moment on my quest to refind Autumn Ladies Tresses for Northants. Checked today verges around Whittlebury village where there is a 1950's record. Sadly verges not suitable now for the species. In Druces flora of 1930 he mentions Hartwell so I had a go at many of the mown verges checking for basal rosettes. One lawn in particular looked very promising with autumn hawkbit and the like. I even knocked on a door to see if could get permission to check this lawn but sadly no answer. Anyway will keep trying.

Brian Laney.

I also had a go at a record in Druces flora for between Wappenham and Bucknell Wood in Northants and got permission by kind farmer to check south facing slopes the other week for Autumn Ladies Tresses. One south facing bank looked again very promising but sadly nothing noted.

Brian Laney.

Rosettes

Bee and Early Spider rosettes are now well developed and easy to spot, in a small area where I've seen up to twenty Bee orchids in flower I found over fifty rosettes this week.

Also showing in my area are Fly, Autumn Lady's-tresses and Green-winged rosettes, none of them easy to find unless you know the exact locations in which to look.

Alan

Attachments

• Bee orchid rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    Bee orchid rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Early spider rosettes 09,10,13 .JPG
    Early spider rosettes 09,10,13 .JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Fly orchid rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    Fly orchid rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Autumn Lady's-tresses rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    Autumn Lady's-tresses rosette 28,11,13.JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Green-winged rosette 13,11,13.jpg
    Green-winged rosette 13,11,13.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 81
Bee and Early Spider rosettes are now well developed and easy to spot, in a small area where I've seen up to twenty Bee orchids in flower I found over fifty rosettes this week.

Also showing in my area are Fly, Autumn Lady's-tresses and Green-winged rosettes, none of them easy to find unless you know the exact locations in which to look.

Alan

Lizard orchid and the heavily keeled Pyramidal orchid leaves also showing.

Alan

Attachments

• Lizard orchid 04,12,13.jpg
    Lizard orchid 04,12,13.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Pyramidal orchid 05,12,13.jpg
    Pyramidal orchid 05,12,13.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 74
Early Purple rosette

Took this photo of an Early Purple rosette today, not seen one as early as this before and being so well developed it looks as though it must have been above ground for some time. It is on a site where hundreds will be developing in the New Year but as far as I could see this is the only one showing.

Alan

Attachments

• Early Purple 17,12,13.JPG
    Early Purple 17,12,13.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back