• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

LizandDave

I really enjoyed reading the 2013 thread so here's one for this year.
I note that Bee Orchid rosettes were found back in late November but the first I have found was yesterday at Bluewater Shopping Centre. It's surrounded by lakes and there was a good display by the lake next to the police office last year.
Any more rosettes found?
Dave

Attachments

• bee orchid rosette bluewater 050214xxx.jpg
    bee orchid rosette bluewater 050214xxx.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 190
Here's a collage of the orchids I found last year. Not many compared to nationally, but nearly all found in Kent. I'll be adding to these this year hopefully with Early Spider, Lady, Burnt and Monkey orchids at the least.
I don't suppose it will look brilliant but then I'm no photoshop expert and the size has to be small to post it here.
Dave

Attachments

• a collage small.jpg
    a collage small.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 201
habitat management orchid projects being taken on

Dear All,
Some interesting news. Mike Slater (Warwickshire county recorder for butterflies) and the probation team will be tackling scrub at the Ettington bypass from now on.
The Bristol Lizard orchid site is being managed under the councils wing but people do let me know if things are not right like the habitat management of the site. Of course we don't want the species to go downhill.
I know with Mike Slater taking on Ettington it will be in good hands. He and his team have done great clearance work including Ufton Fields.

Brian Laney, Botanist.

Right everyone. I have checked the single Dorset site for Lizard orchid and there are no rosettes of any sizes about on the verge. This species may now be lost from Dorset for the time being. However there are many excellent areas where Lizard orchid could turn up or that might already be about within the county.

For those interested in Orchids, and especially the Ghost Orchid, there is a detailed paper due to be published in the BSBI's membership-only New Journal of Botany, in the April edition.

It contains details of all British records and sites, and has some unique photo's - for example the specimen of the first ever Ghost, from 1854, and a few people at the 1982 Haugh Wood site.

Membership of the BSBI is £25 per annum, and the Society covers a lot more than just Orchids. It is the only way to get to see this paper, which is apparently set to be the standard reference on the subject in the UK (reviewer's words, not mine!!)

http://bsbi.org.uk/subscriptions.html

It has taken me three years to write, not because of the additional research, but because of the many edits and interruptions to the process. The research has taken 13 years!!

If anyone does see the paper and spots any errors (please no!!!), or can add anything, please pm me as I'd welcome any corrections or new material.

Sean

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for local Early Purple sites to Herts/Beds and when we might expect them this spring? Thanks.

I moved to Swindon towards the back end of last year, only a 2min walk from a Green-veined\Green-winged Orchid, so looking forward at trying to see these this year :)

Nige

Just got back from the Swindon area and it looked like a farmer's desert. Massive fields and plains devoid of wildflowers. Even the verges were pretty bare of flowers from Stonehenge North to Swindon.
I suppose off the beaten track it's different though!
Dave
PS I did find the Tank Crossing signs amusing on the plain!

Anyone have any idea what the wet mild winter and decent start to Spring will do for the orchid populations in the south of the country? Regarding both numbers and expected bloom dates?

On the Isle of Wight, Early-purple rosettes seem to be up in numbers from last year, and coming on well. Also Common Spotted rosettes appearing as well as Green-winged. About the same number of Bee orchid rosettes as last year at a couple of sites I've visited.
I would guess it's going to be a more "normal" season than last year.

Rog

I might be visiting Dorset in the first weekend in April (5th & 6th) and I was wondering what the chances were of seeing Early Spider in flower. I'm a little concerned I might be a week too early!

Wondered if anyone here had seen them in previous years, or lived locally and knew if they were well on their way.

Any info would be much appreciated!

I think you might be too early.
Durlston Country Park's website produce a daily diary of what flora and fauna have been seen, and they give info about the Early Spiders. They mentioned the other day that rosettes are visible but it'll be a while till they flower. Here's the link:

http://www.durlston.co.uk/index.php?nid=119&id=156

The rangers will also give you up to date info if you phone them.

Rog

I don't know how advanced they are but apparently you get 1000s of early spiders at Samphire Hoe, near Dover. someone more local to there might be able to help. It's been very mild in Kent all Winter so they might be a bit early.

Dave

Any more rosettes found?
Dave

On the Isle of Wight, .... Also Common Spotted rosettes appearing
Rog

Haven't seen anything in flower yet but the Early Purple might not be far away.

A few more rosettes for you Dave, Greater and Lesser Butterfly included but only identified by knowing what grows at each site, Common Twayblade with flower spike forming, I've seen one in flower at this site in mid April, White Helleborine only discovered by scraping away some leaf litter from around the base of last years old flower stems.

Seems as though the Isle of Wight Common Spotted are well in front of what I've seen in the Cotswolds Rog, only found this one by looking down the old stem of last years flower spike.

Alan

Attachments

• Greater Butterfly.JPG
    Greater Butterfly.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Lesser Butterfly.JPG
    Lesser Butterfly.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Common Twayblade.JPG
    Common Twayblade.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 111
  • White Helleborine.JPG
    White Helleborine.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Common Spotted.JPG
    Common Spotted.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 104
Haven't seen anything in flower yet but the Early Purple might not be far away.

A few more rosettes for you Dave, Greater and Lesser Butterfly included but only identified by knowing what grows at each site, Common Twayblade with flower spike forming, I've seen one in flower at this site in mid April, White Helleborine only discovered by scraping away some leaf litter from around the base of last years old flower stems.

Seems as though the Isle of Wight Common Spotted are well in front of what I've seen in the Cotswolds Rog, only found this one by looking down the old stem of last years flower spike.

Alan

Very interesting info and photos, Alan.

Over here on the Island Early Purples and Green Winged have flower spikes on them now, so hopefully not too long till flowering.
Also found some Greater Butterfly with the beginnings of spikes. Pity we don't get Lesser Butterfly on the Island anymore! Must get to our White Helleborine site to see if there's anything above ground yet.
Plenty more Common Spotted rosettes now appearing, still on the small size. Apparently Brian Laney has also found some in Warwickshire.

Getting impatient for the season proper to start!!

Rog

Thanks for sharing, there are several orchids I want to see this Summer that I missed last year. Should manage to find most.
Dave

They have a very useful website showing where each species flowers. Plan to head down in a couple of weeks in hope of seeing Early Purple, Early Spider and Green Winged if out by then.

Today in the Cotswolds

Early Purple are getting there, two to three weeks earlier than last year.

Hundreds of Fragrant Orchid rosettes now showing, the leaves being opposite and tidily stacked on top of each other make them fairly distinctive.

Alan

Attachments

• Early Purple..JPG
    Early Purple..JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Early Purple.JPG
    Early Purple.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Fragrant Orchid.JPG
    Fragrant Orchid.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 150
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back