• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (10 Viewers)

or it's just a sign of the squeamishness of Swiss birders:-O - it was raining and snowing a lot the last days!

Actually in the south it wasn't.....;), it was sunny all the time.
No, seriously, there are not many birders in the Italian speaking part and most of the ones north of the Alps have the Pine Buntings on their year list from last winter, so there is no big rush down there. However, they stayed all winter last season, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do the same now. And of course it would be nice for Switzerland to feature on the itinerary of the WP Big Year;)

André

Actually in the south it wasn't.....;), it was sunny all the time.
No, seriously, there are not many birders in the Italian speaking part and most of the ones north of the Alps have the Pine Buntings on their year list from last winter, so there is no big rush down there. However, they stayed all winter last season, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do the same now. And of course it would be nice for Switzerland to feature on the itinerary of the WP Big Year;)

André

Male and female Pine Bunting have just been reported again by Swiss Bird Alert from the usual place in Ticino. So there should be at least 4 birds in the area. Quite a garanteed twitch, I suppose.

Male and female Pine Bunting have just been reported again by Swiss Bird Alert from the usual place in Ticino. So there should be at least 4 birds in the area. Quite a garanteed twitch, I suppose.

A few in northern Italy as well, at least until last weekend, and within a reasonable drive from Ticino, so they would have a plan B should the Swiss birds fail to appear

Another Dwarf Bittern on Fuerteventura, Canary Isles on 3/12 (juvenile in Corralejo at Oasis Dunas hotel).

Also, 2 Allen's Gallinule reported on the island late November (at site of first Dwarf Bittern, I believe

Last edited:
Not yet, ticked the AHG in Portugal today

Did I understand correctly that they ticked American Herring Gull as number 760 today? And was it a real AHG this time? Are there any Rueppels Vultures around at yours which they will try to get next? And does anybody know about their next plans? They should continue on their way immediately after twitching successfully Dwarf Bittern, Pine Bunting and AHG day after day. They have a good run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back