• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (8 Viewers)

For a starter, see this page about the definition of the ‘Greater Western Palearctic’ and the references it cited. (easily read with Google translator).

This site and most other sources are overlooking a small, but important change made by D. Mitchell and possibly also H. Shirihai and L. Svensson (I have yet to see their definition):

The boundary in the sahara was shifted one degree from 21° N to 20° N. The change in the avifauna is only very minor, but it makes it easier to use the boundaries in reality. Discussions, which parts of the Banc D'Arguin or of Mauritania are included in the GWP are settled with this definition.

Maffong

This site and most other sources are overlooking a small, but important change made by D. Mitchell and possibly also H. Shirihai and L. Svensson (I have yet to see their definition):

The boundary in the sahara was shifted one degree from 21° N to 20° N. The change in the avifauna is only very minor, but it makes it easier to use the boundaries in reality. Discussions, which parts of the Banc D'Arguin or of Mauritania are included in the GWP are settled with this definition.

Maffong

What's the Eastern boundary?

A

The eastern boundary runs
D. Mitchell (2017) said:
along the Ural ridge (administrative boundaries) to 58°30'N, thence by an arbitrary straight line to a point 50 km east of Yekaterinburg, and by another arbitrary straight line to the head waters of the Ural River south of Zlatoust, and then along the Ural River to the Caspian Sea, thus including the European section of West Kazakhstan to the west. In the Caspian Sea, the boundary continues south along a theoretical meandering line misway between the west and east shores until it meets the Iranian border with Turkmenistan to the south-east.
All of Iran is included in the GWP

Maffong

There is a mistake in the quoted text, the Hala'ib Triangle is administered by Egypt not Sudan.

That said, the WP boundary runs nicely along the Egypt-Sudan border and then goes north-east at this Triangle, is there a reason for doing so (in both old and new versions)?

Well spotted! I'll try to integrate this into my next blog post.

The Hala'ib Triangle is excluded from the WP, because of its rather africotropic avifauna. Including it into the WP would boost up the WP list by several species that occur in this area, but don't seem to ever venture out of it like Rosy-patched Shrike and Shining Sunbeam...

What's the Eastern boundary?

A

The eastern boundary is better off being the Yenisei river in my view, and then down along the foothills of the major Asian mountain ranges and into Iran. Therefore including most of Central Asia (the deserts and steppes). Avifauna wise, it makes sense. In the game of WP listing, it would certainly be a gamechanger!

Well spotted! I'll try to integrate this into my next blog post.

The Hala'ib Triangle is excluded from the WP, because of its rather africotropic avifauna. Including it into the WP would boost up the WP list by several species that occur in this area, but don't seem to ever venture out of it like Rosy-patched Shrike and Shining Sunbird...

Thanks! Nice to know that the reason was/is biogeographical. The linked report gives a good overview of the region.

I've been meaning to post a thought for a couple of days.

Unless or until another attempt is made, I do not think that we can judge this record.

Whilst, it is suggested that a theoretical 800 was possible last year - and I am yet to be convinced of that - we are not in a position to judge the availability of last year's rarities in comparison to other years.

I remain of the view that the Corvo spectacular was unusual and unlikely to be repeated frequently - so to suggest that would be available ordinarily in other years, I think is flawed - and generally I think that there are less rarities around at the start of this year?

That said, I would agree with the majority of Maffong's tactical suggestions.

All the best

Volga or further east?

Let us assume for a moment that the 'Greater Palearctic', which includes all of Iran, becomes adopted as the WP avifaunal region. There seems to be little debate over the Urals dividing the East from the West - although it seems to be a rather poor bio-geographical boundary. My point here is that once you include Iran (correct surely), and accept the Urals boundary (OK, but weakly supported), then how sensible is it then to use the Volga which swings west to the Caspian. You would be better off using a line from the southern end of the Urals, across to NE Iran. I'm not sure there is any suitable natural feature here, but more of 'an absence of feature' as with the (northern) Sahara. It would be neater and I don't think would bring great swatches of new species on to a Greater WP list.

This may have been covered elsewhere but I've not seen it

cheers, alan

Volga or further east?

Let us assume for a moment that the 'Greater Palearctic', which includes all of Iran, becomes adopted as the WP avifaunal region. There seems to be little debate over the Urals dividing the East from the West - although it seems to be a rather poor bio-geographical boundary. My point here is that once you include Iran (correct surely), and accept the Urals boundary (OK, but weakly supported), then how sensible is it then to use the Volga which swings west to the Caspian. You would be better off using a line from the southern end of the Urals, across to NE Iran. I'm not sure there is any suitable natural feature here, but more of 'an absence of feature' as with the (northern) Sahara. It would be neater and I don't think would bring great swatches of new species on to a Greater WP list.

This may have been covered elsewhere but I've not seen it

cheers, alan

Why are the Urals better than the Yenisei? Why not include most of Kazakhstan and the lowlands of the other 'stans? I've had this debate with birders who start off saying its total rubbish, then when you actually drill down into species distributions, it gets a little harder to refute. Using the Urals as a boundary makes no real sense biogeographically, and certainly not geographically, seeing as the Urals are basically hills, and immediately east of the Yenisei the land rises to a higher plateau with corresponding change in species.

All a bit rough and ready for sure, but more defensible than the Urals and the Ural river. Plus i get Saxaul Sparrow on my WP list :)

For what it's worth, I think trying to precisely define the WP on zoogeographical terms is a rather pointless endeavour.

Who actually cares about / uses these boundaries in a practical sense? Is there anybody apart from geographical listers, and authors of regional texts, both of whom need an agreed definitive cut-off point rather than endless ruminations about Chadian enclaves and Urals.

To me, it makes sense to use political boundaries and, with the obvious exception of Russia and possibly Kazakhstan, either include or exclude entire nations. So, for example, include all of the Arabian Peninsular states, all of Iran, all of Algeria, but boot out all of Mauretania (sorry, Grey Woodpecker), and all of Chad.

When it comes to Russia, just do the same - decide where you think the boundary ought roughly to lie, and then have at it with the political boundaries of the oblasts, krais, and autonomous okrugs!

Why are the Urals better than the Yenisei? Why not include most of Kazakhstan and the lowlands of the other 'stans? I've had this debate with birders who start off saying its total rubbish, then when you actually drill down into species distributions, it gets a little harder to refute. Using the Urals as a boundary makes no real sense biogeographically, and certainly not geographically, seeing as the Urals are basically hills, and immediately east of the Yenisei the land rises to a higher plateau with corresponding change in species.

All a bit rough and ready for sure, but more defensible than the Urals and the Ural river. Plus i get Saxaul Sparrow on my WP list :)

You won't get me to defend the urals as a bg boundary, see my points above. Happy if there is something better further east.

Cheers, a

For what it's worth, I think trying to precisely define the WP on zoogeographical terms is a rather pointless endeavour.

Who actually cares about / uses these boundaries in a practical sense? Is there anybody apart from geographical listers, and authors of regional texts, both of whom need an agreed definitive cut-off point rather than endless ruminations about Chadian enclaves and Urals.

To me, it makes sense to use political boundaries and, with the obvious exception of Russia and possibly Kazakhstan, either include or exclude entire nations. So, for example, include all of the Arabian Peninsular states, all of Iran, all of Algeria, but boot out all of Mauretania (sorry, Grey Woodpecker), and all of Chad.

When it comes to Russia, just do the same - decide where you think the boundary ought roughly to lie, and then have at it with the political boundaries of the oblasts, krais, and autonomous okrugs!

Hmmm, don't agree. Precision may be a challenge but that doesn't make attempts to define boudaries meaningless. Political boundaries? Not stable at all. Geography is best, allowing for plate shifts of course.

Cheers, a

You won't get me to defend the urals as a bg boundary, see my points above. Happy if there is something better further east.

Cheers, a

:t:

I might look at it all properly at some point, i'm just surprised that so much attention has been focussed on the African and Arabian areas by recent authors/commentators, and no one really looks at the eastern boundary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back